“Simple Room, Uncomfortable Neighbors” 3 of 5 stars

Bend Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2346 N.E. Division St, Bend, OR 97701   |
Ranked #39 of 42 Hotels in Bend
portland
“Simple Room, Uncomfortable Neighbors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I grew up in Bend, so I come back regularly to visit friends and family. As I've gotten older, having my own space during my stay has been important, so I gladly pay for a hotel room.

Low on money for my usual place (summer rates are outrageous), I chose Bend Value Inn. The reviews I skimmed over seemed fine. I don't need extras in my room, just A/C, a bed, and a clean bathroom. This room had all three, plus a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and cable. That's pretty sweet in my book. Also, I grew up in that part of town so I'm well aware that it isn't the greatest area, but I never felt unsafe there.

However, when I booked the room, I didn't realize that this was a "daily/weekly rate" kind of place. So, it was really uncomfortable to notice the long term tenants eyeing us while we unloaded the car after check in. I wondered if I should be worried or...? I joked about it with my boyfriend before going to bed that night, but after hearing a group of drunk or high people behind the inn whooping it up and revving their cars, I was seriously tempted to barricade the door with a dresser or something. The fact that you had to ring a bell to be let into the manager's office to check in didn't bode well, either.

So, the room was nice enough, and based on that alone, sure I'd stay there again. However, being among long term residents made me feel uncomfortable, like I was invading their space or something, and that's enough to make me avoid the place in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jacksonville, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great for solo or couple stays. I came in on a Friday and was pleased with the close proximity to downtown and the old mill. No frills, cheap, and simple. The young man at the front desk was helpful and answered all my questions about the town, such as things to do and where to find good food. Not sure what all these bad reviews expected... you're not going to get an executive style stay, it's for people who actually care about how much money they spend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Independence, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Upon my first arrival in Bend, actually during my move, the Bend Value Inn is where I called home for 2 days. It was clean, comfortable, and affordable! The staff there was very nice and helped me to get my barrings when moving in and out of my room. I give the BVI two thumbs up and would recommend to any of my friends!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We made our reservation on this website the day before we arrived. When we got to the bend value inn, it was 9 pm and the Indian office people said there was no vacancy. We have them our booking # and told them we had a reservation but they did not seem to understand and very impatient. ( especially the indian guy, he even seemed angry for some reason) They did not apologize for any of our inconvience. They told us to go to a motel 6 nearby and promised it wouldn't charge us again since we paid already when makin the reservation. But they did not give us very good directions because they did not speak very clearly, and we were charged the second time in the motel 6. Anyway it was extremely ridiculous and we had never encountered anything like this in the US. I'm not trying to be a racist but their unwelcoming and unfriendly attitude disgusted me. I would strongly recommend you do not make any reservation

• Stayed July 2012
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

When checking in, the "lobby" front door was locked. We were greeted by a lady who barely opened the door a crack to see what we wanted. She didn't speak English very well. Perhaps it didn't dawn on her we were checking in. We had room #9, it smelled horrible. The sheets were sandy and paper thin. The pillows were flat. We left the room key on the table and walked out. I couldn't wait to wash my hands.

Room Tip: Should have read the reviews first, never would have stayed here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Room was clean, although there was a faint old-cigarette-smoke smell in the supposedly non-smoking room. The room had a microwave and a small refer, which was nice. We didn't specify that, so be sure to ask for it if you need it. The bathroom was fine and the shower worked well. The room heater also worked very well, which was good because it got below freezing outside the night we were there (mid-April.) Our TV and remote worked just fine, although I think it would be helpful to have directions on how to use the remote in the room, because it operates both the TV and the cable box, and that aspect is a little non-obvious.

The street it is on was relatively quiet the night we were there, and it is close enough to downtown to be very handy.

Overall, this is a great place to stay if you just need a bed for the night. As I said, it's very basic, so I wouldn't really consider it a "destination" hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with microwave and refer if you need those.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
San diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My fiancé and I were in town visiting family last week, we called to make a last minute change to our reservation and the hotels manager was very accommodating. We asked to add an additional night to our stay and he generously matched the price we had paid online for the previous nights. The hotel was located close to downtown nightlife and dining options. Our room was clean and perfect for the two of us. We would both recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Bend! Looking forward to visiting again soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bend Value Inn? Share your experiences!