“Half day sampler” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 31 Outdoor Activities in Bend
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Cog Wild Bicycle Tours & Shuttles is the only local mountain bike tour company in Central Oregon. We offer one day tours, shuttles and multi-day mountain bike vacations. We are your local resource for the trails including local favorites and help in planning your trip to Central Oregon. Contact us today to get the locals perspective on 200+ miles of single track right outside of town.
San Diego, California, United States
“Half day sampler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I chose Cog Wild based on a friend's recommendation. That is the reason we chose to go to Bend on our road trip from San Diego. A guided tour was an excellent way to experience the trails without the stress of planning, interpreting maps and trail markers etc. Russ was an excellent guide who know how to read my needs and let me pace the ride. I liked being able to rent a bike so easily and it gave me a chance to test ride a bike I might want to purchase someday. The half day was good enough for my needs and I went through some excellent pine-lined single track with some hill climbs thrown in (for some reason I like the challenge of a climb). I would certainly use Cog Wild again.

Portland, Oregon
“Cog Wild”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A great tour. My husband and I went on the Singletrack Sampler tour. Varied in difficulty and terrain, which really gave me a good feel for the types of tracks out there in the Bend wilderness (some was incredibly tame, and some were of expert level difficulty). Perfect length. Could have used a bit more food during the ride, but the guide did offer plenty of snacks (you don't want to eat too much during strenuous exercise). I would recommend having a large, protein-rich breakfast the day of your ride, as I was really hurting for a good meal by the time we got back (it certainly gave me an appreciation for 10 Barrel's pulled pork, though).

This was one of the first things my husband and I did on our honeymoon in Bend, and well worth it. We are avid hikers, but not too experienced in mountain biking, so we found the experience very interesting. Without a shuttle service, we would not have been able to do the rides we did, plus having the guide meant not getting lost in an unfamiliar area. We had thought of bringing our bikes, but went with Cog Wild's rentals so that we would not have to haul them around for 2 weeks, just for the one trip.

It was the end of the season, though and the rear brakes on my bike were all but useless. I'd recommend going in early summer or spring, and testing out the bike before getting started. There were a few times I was riding both brakes down the hills.

All in all though, it was a very fun thing to do, and we are already thinking of doing it again for an upcoming anniversary. I highly recommend it!

Lahaina
“Great for the experienced rider unfamiliar with the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Both the Bachelor-to-Bend ride and the MRT shuttle were exactly what I was looking for: Top-notch riding experiences.

The flowy loam and cool river air of MRT actually put me in a trance for a spell. Seriously. Closest thing to Middle Earth I've ever come across.

And the ice cold Deschutes Brewery beer at the end of each ride was icing on the cake.

Mahalo,
Brad

Visited August 2012
San Marcos, CA
“Second time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We just finished the bike and brew weekend. Great rides all 3 days and the beer wasn't bad either. Russ and Sara were great guides. The second day seemed mellow, however it left us with energy and enthusiasm for the final 25 mile day ending with whoops trail. We met some great people in our group and talked about all rejoining in a year to do it again. Flagline trail was awesome. The overall trails weren't that technical, but techincal enough to keep it fun for 4 hours. It was my second time with cogwild and I am planning to do it again.

Campbell, California
“Cog Wild is Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I used Cog Wild for two rides. A shuttle for the McKenzie River Trail and the Shuttle with a guide for Bachelor to Bend. Both were great experiences. The guide for the Bachelor to Bend ride was able to dial up the exact amount and type of riding we were looking for as we told him our skill level, where we generally ride and so on. Absolutely a great experience, highly recommended.