“Relaxing but a bit drab” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Now!
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Corvallis, Oregon
“Relaxing but a bit drab”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My visit was just for one night and the hotel was fine for my purposes. It was quiet and relaxing by the river. Hotel grounds are nice - offering both indoor and outdoor pools. My building needed a powerwash - so many cobwebs on the outside decks, light fixtures and such. This makes it feel a bit dirty. The room was clean but felt dark and lackluster - needed some updating and maybe brightened up just a bit. Included breakfast was a good standard breakfast with eggs, potatoes, sausage, pancakes, fruit, etc. You can sit outside and enjoy the nice grounds around the pool while eating. Staff were friendly and overall a good hotel for the price - considering Bend is higher cost area.

Room Tip: I paid extra for riverview room, but it was very relaxing to sit on deck with the river below and pe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Camarillo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I have family in Bend, Oregon, and travel there several times each year. We stayed at the Shilo Inn in Bend three times in the last year, totaling about 20 days, and a year ago, I gave the Shilo Inn an outstanding review. Our stays have spanned multiple seasons, so we are not just "prime time" tourists.

Unfortunately, things have changed, and our most recent stay was something of a disappointment.

Pros/Cons for our recent visit:

Pros

The after-move-in Housekeeping was great. We had a problem that was addressed quickly by housekeeping staff. Throughout our visit, housekeeping was excellent.

The location is perfect for us. The hotel is located adjacent to the Deschutes River, and has the feeling of a resort.

Rooms are clean.

Summertime in Bend is a popular time to stay, so we were glad to get accommodations

Cons

NOISY! This is the first time that we stayed on the first floor, and I would never do that again. The structure is apparently wood-framed, and we had to listen to every footstep above us throughout the entire stay. One night, someone tromped back and forth above us until after 3:00 AM. In addition to the upstairs noise, we were located adjacent to what I assume is a huge air conditioning system between buildings 100 and 200. This system turns on and off all night. If you can sleep next to a runway with airliners taking off several times per hour, then fine. Othewise, I would make certain that you don't stay next to that A/C system.

The sheets that were originally placed on our bed had disgusting stains. Really, it looked like a crime scene -- I took photos. Housekeeping replaced the sheets upon our request, but you have to wonder about the overall quality of service when you find something like that.

Restaurant: During previous visits, we were especially happy with the restaurant. We usually dined on the patio, which was very pleasant. This time, there were very few tables and chairs on the patio, no umbrellas, and the tables that were there often had dishes and glasses from the previous day. Breakfasts were fine, but they no longer served lunch (bummer!). I can't comment on dinners, as we chose to dine elsewhere.

The decor is very dated, although rooms are clean. We did not object to the decor during previous stays because the overall experience was very nice, but with the several issues noted above, the dated decor seemed more of an issue on this trip.

Even with the problems noted above, I would have given the Shilo Inn and Suites in Bend a three-star rating, excpt for another factor that is very important to us. Shilo has "recently" added a $15.00/Day fee for pets. Bend is famous for being a dog-friendly town, and in the past, Shilo fit right in. No longer. We have a miniature poodle that does not cause any problems whatsoever for Shilo, nor for its guests. Being a poodle, he does not shed. He does not chew on anything, and he is 100% housebroken. We do not let him be a problem for other guests in any way, and we pick up after him without fail. The final score: +$90.00 to the Shilo bottom line, -$90.00 from my wallet, with $0.00 cost to Shilo and $0.00 benefit to us. THANKS
SHILO FOR THIS RIP-OFF!!!

For futures, we will definitely look at alternative hotels, and/or renting a house in Bend through one of the popular short term home rental websites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed at the Inn for 10 days and "loved" every minute of it. From the large comfortable rooms and the staff at both the hotel registration desk and the restaurant. After a few days everyone remembered my name. A terrific property with numerous building, an indoor and outdoor pool as well as a small gym. Your room rate also includes a "full breakfast". The new chef Shawn is extremely talented and turns out wonderful food, I highly recommend the Shilo Inn to anyone going to Bend either for vacation or using it for an event. This trip to Bend was for a global business meeting, I'm already recommending the Inn to colleagues. The lunch's at our meeting were beautifully laid out as well as delicious, I have to admit due to Shawn's wonderful cooking I am a few biscuits over my normal weight!

Room Tip: The best accommodations in Bend, close to everything with a staff that answers "all" your...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I was in town with my buddies and we went rafting that day and normally would not go for a motel meal. However the food was really really delicious. I ordered the ribeye steak and my friend had the prawns and fries. The steak was cooked to perfection and the sides were on point. My buddy said the prawns were surprisingly good and I left with a very good feeling. I told my server how surprised we were and she told the chef who came out personally and thanked us. Shawn was his name and explained to us that he was the new chef and told me he was trying to revamp the old stereotype of motel food. I will defiantly be back to try other items, they also had a great beer selection.

Stayed July 2014
Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

we enjoyed everything espcially the location and surrounding area. glad we were able to be come acquainted with "bend" and oregon. if we come again
we will try to stay at shilo

Didn't like the geese poop and the dog walking area was not marked

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The room at the Shilo Inn and Suites was quite roomy but starting to look a little dated. It is more of a condo style for ski trips etc. with a 2 burner stove, a breakfast counter and a couch with 2 chairs. It was quite roomy and comfortable. The bed could certainly use a little improvement as the mattress was not of the quality one would expect. We were given coupons for a free glass of wine each (or beer) and a BOGO entree at the restaurant. Again, not fancy but the food was quite good and reasonably priced. A little new decor for the room and the restaurant would greatly benefit this property. The TV was older (not a problem) but the cable service gave a very poor selection for viewing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. Yes the river view is nice but couldnt open the slider or go on the deck due to tons of spider webs in between the slider and screen. Also spider webs all over the ceiling. Bathroom counter is brown and beige marble. Happened to notice a dark brown area and it was who knows what smeared accross the counter. Obviousy was not wiped down. Carpets had hard crusty stains. Do not walk on them barefoot. Cleaning staff was a scary guy with missing teeth and looked like a grungy drug attic..over priced for a dump. The only good thing is the location and a comfortable bed.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend? Share your experiences!