“Probably the worst hotel we've ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Tripadvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #21 of 41 hotels in Bend
Colchester
“Probably the worst hotel we've ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'll get the bad review out of the way first from our trip taking in Seattle to San Francisco. This was booked by our holiday company and we had a fairly long drive around 4 hours to get here. Downtown Bend is a very nice place, the Shilo Inn isn't. We arrived at 3pm and didn't know check in was 4pm so we drove wearily into Bend to kill an hour whilst they got our room ready. When we got back there was a different lady on reception who greeted us with a surly "Gotta name?" which she then proceeded to get wrong even though it was printed on our voucher. (This young lady was the only rude person we encountered on our entire trip in numerous hotels and restaurants, so congratulations!) Presumably because I pointed out she'd got my name wrong she got revenge by putting us in the worst room in the place, or are they all this bad?
I'm not sure what they meant by getting our room ready, but if it meant urinating on the toilet seat, leaving human hair stuck to the outside of the basin, staining the chairs so that we didn't want to sit on them, and making the room look like it hadn't been decorated for 30 years then they succeeded! Oh and did I mention the wonderful view? Our room on the second floor corridor (reminded me of run down local authority blocks in the UK) had the picturesque outlook of.....the glaring red coke machine. The decor was terrible and the furniture looked like it has been picked up off skips, we didn't want to sit on anything or have our clothes come in contact with any of the fabrics, the room also smelled strongly of cigarette smoke as did reception despite the supposed no smoking policy. We've stayed in some right dumps especially in Brighton, Sussex UK which is renowned for terrible B&Bs who don't give a rat's because they know there's another mug waiting to book, and this was up, or rather down there with the worst of them. We were only here for one night thankfully, and because of the attractions of Bend's wonderful brew pubs we had a lovely night in Bend and bizarrely got a very good night's sleep.
The shower worked fine and complex had an outdoor and I think an indoor pool which I didn't use.
Sorry Shilo Inns but if this is the standard of your rooms and what you call customer service then it was very much at odds with our experience at the other 7 hotels. In the words of the American character in the Fawlty Towers episode Waldorf Salad "I wouldn't board my dog here."
Oh and one final thing, nearly two weeks after staying there and despite the room being prepaid and us not spending a cent there, they still haven't repaid my room guarantee deposit, despite me having the credit slip to confirm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn - Bend, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear AFCMorant,

I am disappointed to read that you were not happy with your stay. I am sorry that you thought the front desk person was rude to you. That is something that is not acceptable. I have had a meeting with the front desk staff and the housekeeping staff to discuss the issues you brought up.
I did look at your reservation and see that you did book one of our standard king rooms. These are the rooms on property that do face the breeze way and parking lot. All of our other rooms have balconies or patios that face the outdoor pool and courtyard or the Deschutes River. If you were unhappy with your room we would have been more than willing to see if we had something more to your liking.
I did check on the status of the hold on your card. We releases any hold on you card the day you checked out. Once we have released the hold it can be 3 to 10 business days for your credit card company to process.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Portland, Oregon USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just returned from a great 4-day visit for a convention held at the Shilo Inn, Bend, Oregon
it was fabulous! Rooms were pleasing and very clean. The food was outstanding and their desserts were terrific. They did everything for our convention, rooms, food, buffet, catering, helping set up. You name it -it was taken care of. Wonderful staff and helpers from the cleaning folks, to servers, bartender extra TLC given to us -don't forget to order the home made potato chips-yum. All in all EXCELLENT we will be back and we recommend the Shilo Inn!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Peggy,

Thank you for all your nice comment. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on all you comments to the staff. Please come back and stay with us the next time you are in Bend.

Salmon Arm, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and 2 young children had booked 5 nights with this hotel. I had booked with their central booking and had a thorough conversation on what I was wanting and how long I was wanting to stay for. When I went to check in, they had everything wrong. The Lady at the counter stood there staring at me and offered another room for more money! This all happened as the manager walk away from us into his office. There was no trying to accommodate us but rather the option to cancel. I spent hours with a tired family in Bend trying to find another place. They should learn some people skills as it’s the people whom they get their pay checks from.

Room Tip: Book in advance and make sure everyone is clear on what you are wanting.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear c_kow1978,

I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with you reservation. I was not aware that there was a problem with your reservation until after you had left. I was talking to someone else when I was at the desk and I had another person in my office that was waiting for me. I would have been more than happy to talk to you about your reservation. I am sorry that your experience was not up to Shilo standards. If you would like to contact me personally I can be reached at 541-389-9600 or at kevin.coelsch@shiloinns.com.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I reserved online with Priceline and this is what my bid got me. It worked in a pinch. It was fairly inexpensive which was nice. Outside was nice and cabin like. Beautiful grounds and area. Inside was simply outdated. Our room seemed to be fairly clean but because it was older and dated sometimes it just feels dingy anyways. Breakfast was included which was a nice surprise, better than average breakfast overall but not stellar. I was pulling a long trailer and there was ample room to park my truck and trailer over night. If I was going through town again and needed a deal I would probably do it again, if I was with the family,,,maybe not so much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear famdamtravelin,

Thank you for reviewing the things that you liked about your stay and the things you thought could be better. We do have a wide variety of rooms on property. Some have been recently and some are a bit older. I will pass on your nice comment about the grounds the grounds keeping staff. Thank you for staying with us.

Lebanon, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed one night here. Booked thru a top secret hotel. At first was very disappointed in what we got after reading the reviews, but glad I decided to judge for myself. Once we arrived, we were quickly checked in. Front counter personnel were polite, just not conversational. Our room was easy to find with the map given to us. Grounds of the hotel are beautiful! Clean, colorful with flowers, green. I was really surprised when we got to our room (215). It was huge! It had a queen bed, kitchen with breakfast bar area, couch, coffee table and chairs. There was a fireplace (did not use), sliding glass door to the courtyard by the outdoor pool, chair outside to sit in and enjoy the weather and view. I was disappointed I didn't bring a book to read while outside. the bathroom was clean, although the toilet looked like it needed to be scrubbed around the rim on the inside, but not enough to make me call housekeeping. The tub/shower was nice. Lots of water pressure, lots of room. Downsides to our stay: I hate that Shilo Inns do not use fitted sheets on their mattresses. They use flat sheets and tuck them in and they are never big enough. I don't want to touch the mattress when I go to a hotel. Luckily this one worked fine for our stay. The pillows were okay, but there were not enough. If we needed the hide-a-bed, we would not have had enough. I could hear the upstairs neighbors every time they turned on the shower or flushed the toilet. Heard people talking outside a few times, but nothing that kept me awake. The TV's are old, but still work fine.

All in all, we would choose to stay again, but only with a good deal. Regular rates for this hotel seem high, although my mom told me military (including retired) get a great deal at Shilo Inns.

Room Tip: We had room 215 and it was nice. Ask for one facing the courtyard or the river for a nice view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Oregonfamilyof6,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am glad that you came and stayed with us and saw for yourself that we do have a nice property. We do have a beautiful view of the river with a lot of wildlife you can observe from your room. We do hope that you will come and stay next time you are in Bend.

Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

They are upgrading. Wait till it's done, unless you prefer watching a 20"-inch, 4,000 pound etch-a-sketch for a TV. Housekeeping was OK one day, bad the next. Good location: it was quiet; I felt safe. It's definitely showing its age, though. Breakfast had fruit, cereals, muffins, scrambled eggs that tasted within radar range of actual eggs. They did not offer any bacon.

Room Tip: The river view/access not worth paying for. The patio is the size of a large bread box.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn - Bend, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear SquuegieB,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am sorry that you found the housekeeping inconsistent. We are working on upgrading. We look forward to having you come and stay with us in the future.

Grants Pass, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. My sister had stayed at same hotel a year or so ago and had a nice room by the river. We stayed in a room overlooking the courtyard and outdoor pool. This must be the older section because room decor was old and dark, the mattress on bed was flimsy and uncomfortable, the pillows gave absolutely no support at all and the sleeper sofa my grandson slept on was awful. One skimpy blanket (although they did bring us another one when we asked) and again the mattress was even thinner and more uncomfortable than our bed. I also asked for more pillows since the two we had were so bad but was told they could only give us 2 more Well that wasnt good enough since the sleeper sofa didnt have any to begin with. So my husband and i only had the one each which was quite useless really when trying to sit in bed and read and relax. Walls very thin. Carpet old and loose. Chairs had stains and the shower doors were hard to slide and grimy around base. I am usually not that fussy but when I spend $143 per night I expect better. Was pretty disappointed and will probably stay next door at the riverhouse if and when I need a hotel in bend again

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Jk B,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay. I am sorry that you did not find the bed to your liking. I do understand that the sofa bed mattresses are not the most comfortable. Our queen sofa kitchenette rooms are quite popular with a balcony or patio overlooking the outdoor pool and courtyard.
Please come back and stay with us again and try one of our river view rooms with 2 beds.

Kevin Coelsch

Been to Shilo Inn - Bend? Share your experiences!