“Absolutly Terrible.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 43 hotels in Bend
Salmon Arm, Canada
“Absolutly Terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and 2 young children had booked 5 nights with this hotel. I had booked with their central booking and had a thorough conversation on what I was wanting and how long I was wanting to stay for. When I went to check in, they had everything wrong. The Lady at the counter stood there staring at me and offered another room for more money! This all happened as the manager walk away from us into his office. There was no trying to accommodate us but rather the option to cancel. I spent hours with a tired family in Bend trying to find another place. They should learn some people skills as it’s the people whom they get their pay checks from.

Room Tip: Book in advance and make sure everyone is clear on what you are wanting.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear c_kow1978,

I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with you reservation. I was not aware that there was a problem with your reservation until after you had left. I was talking to someone else when I was at the desk and I had another person in my office that was waiting for me. I would have been more than happy to talk to you about your reservation. I am sorry that your experience was not up to Shilo standards. If you would like to contact me personally I can be reached at 541-389-9600 or at kevin.coelsch@shiloinns.com.

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I reserved online with Priceline and this is what my bid got me. It worked in a pinch. It was fairly inexpensive which was nice. Outside was nice and cabin like. Beautiful grounds and area. Inside was simply outdated. Our room seemed to be fairly clean but because it was older and dated sometimes it just feels dingy anyways. Breakfast was included which was a nice surprise, better than average breakfast overall but not stellar. I was pulling a long trailer and there was ample room to park my truck and trailer over night. If I was going through town again and needed a deal I would probably do it again, if I was with the family,,,maybe not so much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear famdamtravelin,

Thank you for reviewing the things that you liked about your stay and the things you thought could be better. We do have a wide variety of rooms on property. Some have been recently and some are a bit older. I will pass on your nice comment about the grounds the grounds keeping staff. Thank you for staying with us.

Lebanon, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed one night here. Booked thru a top secret hotel. At first was very disappointed in what we got after reading the reviews, but glad I decided to judge for myself. Once we arrived, we were quickly checked in. Front counter personnel were polite, just not conversational. Our room was easy to find with the map given to us. Grounds of the hotel are beautiful! Clean, colorful with flowers, green. I was really surprised when we got to our room (215). It was huge! It had a queen bed, kitchen with breakfast bar area, couch, coffee table and chairs. There was a fireplace (did not use), sliding glass door to the courtyard by the outdoor pool, chair outside to sit in and enjoy the weather and view. I was disappointed I didn't bring a book to read while outside. the bathroom was clean, although the toilet looked like it needed to be scrubbed around the rim on the inside, but not enough to make me call housekeeping. The tub/shower was nice. Lots of water pressure, lots of room. Downsides to our stay: I hate that Shilo Inns do not use fitted sheets on their mattresses. They use flat sheets and tuck them in and they are never big enough. I don't want to touch the mattress when I go to a hotel. Luckily this one worked fine for our stay. The pillows were okay, but there were not enough. If we needed the hide-a-bed, we would not have had enough. I could hear the upstairs neighbors every time they turned on the shower or flushed the toilet. Heard people talking outside a few times, but nothing that kept me awake. The TV's are old, but still work fine.

All in all, we would choose to stay again, but only with a good deal. Regular rates for this hotel seem high, although my mom told me military (including retired) get a great deal at Shilo Inns.

Room Tip: We had room 215 and it was nice. Ask for one facing the courtyard or the river for a nice view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Oregonfamilyof6,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am glad that you came and stayed with us and saw for yourself that we do have a nice property. We do have a beautiful view of the river with a lot of wildlife you can observe from your room. We do hope that you will come and stay next time you are in Bend.

Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

They are upgrading. Wait till it's done, unless you prefer watching a 20"-inch, 4,000 pound etch-a-sketch for a TV. Housekeeping was OK one day, bad the next. Good location: it was quiet; I felt safe. It's definitely showing its age, though. Breakfast had fruit, cereals, muffins, scrambled eggs that tasted within radar range of actual eggs. They did not offer any bacon.

Room Tip: The river view/access not worth paying for. The patio is the size of a large bread box.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear SquuegieB,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am sorry that you found the housekeeping inconsistent. We are working on upgrading. We look forward to having you come and stay with us in the future.

Grants Pass, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. My sister had stayed at same hotel a year or so ago and had a nice room by the river. We stayed in a room overlooking the courtyard and outdoor pool. This must be the older section because room decor was old and dark, the mattress on bed was flimsy and uncomfortable, the pillows gave absolutely no support at all and the sleeper sofa my grandson slept on was awful. One skimpy blanket (although they did bring us another one when we asked) and again the mattress was even thinner and more uncomfortable than our bed. I also asked for more pillows since the two we had were so bad but was told they could only give us 2 more Well that wasnt good enough since the sleeper sofa didnt have any to begin with. So my husband and i only had the one each which was quite useless really when trying to sit in bed and read and relax. Walls very thin. Carpet old and loose. Chairs had stains and the shower doors were hard to slide and grimy around base. I am usually not that fussy but when I spend $143 per night I expect better. Was pretty disappointed and will probably stay next door at the riverhouse if and when I need a hotel in bend again

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Jk B,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay. I am sorry that you did not find the bed to your liking. I do understand that the sofa bed mattresses are not the most comfortable. Our queen sofa kitchenette rooms are quite popular with a balcony or patio overlooking the outdoor pool and courtyard.
Please come back and stay with us again and try one of our river view rooms with 2 beds.

Eugene
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Been staying in Shilo Inns for a number of years. Most of our friends wont get close to them just because of who owns this company, and his politics. Stayed here last week and all though the hotel location is good the rooms are run down. Our doors was hard to lock and keep closed, the room had stains on the carpet, the bathroom was 1970's dated. Someone in the company needs to get off there butt and take a drive around and look at the condition of some of these properties. They have great real estate just deferring lots of remodeling and upgrading to save money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear woody495,

Thank you for staying with during your stay in Bend. I am sorry that your door was hard to lock. As for the carpet and the décor, it is something we are working on.

Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We unexpectedly found ourselves in Bend for the night without reservations. After checking a dozen or so motels, we finally found a vacancy at the Shilo. The front desk person was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. The room was quite large with a queen bed, a kitchenette, 2 chairs, and a sofa sleeper. The TV was the old style big box with a limited number of channels. The room was pretty clean. There were only two thin, lumpy pillows (total) for both beds. We heard lots of creaking noises from the floor above as people walked across the floor. I'm sure the people below us heard them from our room also, as every step we took made a noise. The sofa sleeper was probably the worst I have ever tried to sleep on. Folding it back up and sleeping on the couch was the better way to get some sleep. There was slow, but free, internet service that sort of faded in and out. Breakfast was very good -- a limited buffet in the restaurant. We did not feel we got much value for the $169 rate.

Room Tip: When going to Bend in tourist season, be sure to book ahead.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear M-Birder,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your thoughts about your stay. I am sorry that you found the sofa sleeper uncomfortable. We do have extra pillows available anytime by calling the front desk.

Kevin Coelsch

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend? Share your experiences!