“Don't Be Shy of Shilo Inn - Bend” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #20 of 43 hotels in Bend
Alexandria, Virginia
“Don't Be Shy of Shilo Inn - Bend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Comfortable, location offers easy access, friendly staff, pleasant setting.
I remembered this property location from my previous visit to Bend, but did not need a hotel room during that visit. Planning a return visit, I spent time reviewing information, and zeroed in on this Shilo. While the property sits along side the edge of the road, the frontage is primarily guest parking, or reception and restuarant buildings, with the majority of guest room buildings along the back side, hugging along the Deschutes River. These garden style buildings in their setting have been here a while, with some updating/renovations having taken place in recent years. Traveling with a friend, I booked a dbl queen, upper floor, with a balcony overlooking the river.
The room was spacious enough to accomodate the two of us, allowing each to spread out their own stuff, or put it away. Comfy chairs, table and a desk provided room to organize paperwork and all the modern day clutter of cellphones, and other travel gear. Phones plugged into a lamp base for ease.
Large screen flat TV allowed easy viewing throughout the room. Gas fireplace was a nice added touch, as it helped take the cool edge off the evenings. Balcony had its own chairs for enjoying the river flowing by.
Back window opened so you could allow fresh air if desired.
Color scheme and furnishings were coordinated and in good condition, ample pillows and comfortable beds, with good lighting throughout the room as well.
Room also had a "kitchenette" wall with small sink, under counter refrig, coffee maker,and a m"wave. Ceramic cups and glass glasses were also provided along with a dishtowel! Nice touch. Large mirror ran along the entire back wall of this area for full room view. Counter top provided extra space for our collected food items, and still had room to use for prep.
A separate sink and vanity (with seat) again allowed us to spread out our traveling misc without crowding one another, and provided another full wall mirror with good lighting, that was easy to use. The shower/toilet combo was separate. Decent water pressure and hot water with plenty of towels provided.
Even though the entry door to this room faced the road side, and was located at the narrow north end of the property, it was surprisingly quiet. Quiet is a key factor in hotel accomodations, so this was great.
The buildings only offer stairs to the second floor, but the access was easy, and rooms located on the ground floor would be very accessible from the adjacent area parking to a room.
The property offers an outdoor pool (too cold during our visit) and an indoor pool, with sauna and jacuzzi. Clean, accessible, w/ shower and towels, and an easy walk to from various room locations.
The room rate included breakfast each morning. We were treated to a pleasant space, with various seating options and buffet style presentation, including eggs, sausage, pancakes, oatmeal, rolls, juices, fruits, cereals, etc. Something for everyone. Hot foods were hot, and a delightful waitress was always available for anything extra or items needing replenishment. Perhaps not a true - sit in a restuarant and order a special breakfast - but very nice, freshly prepared, clean, and organized first meal of the day - without needing to leave the property.
The reception area, clean, well lit, and with computer available for review, research or printing travel documentation. Check in and departure well organized and efficient. My initial booking with this property was also done well, questions answered, and rates and taxes explained upfront!
A small bar in the same resturant building was available in the evening, with comfortable seating, and a pleasant atmosphere. Sort of had the impression it was a local sort of place, with familiar faces frequently showing up, or regulars that stay at the hotel for business travel. Decent wine and drinks, with food available from the adjoining restuarant. Again, walkable to/from the rooms.
This property offers some walking options, since it is a garden style property, so a little extra exercise in a safe environment is an added bonus.
I would stay again should the opportunity come again. The room rates were decent for accomodation provided. A variety of rates are available- depending on views and time of year. Access to the main roads in Bend are convenient as are other restuarant options - just across the street, along with some shops in a mall type setting. Its a great property, and you too would enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: always call hotel reception directly if you have specific questions regarding rooms, or the property...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear 12feettobend,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It looks like you were able to take advantage of all the amenities that we had to offer during your stay. We look forward to you coming back and staying with us again.

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
La Pine, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there during his drill, and they charged is for two nights when we said one. We fixed that in the morning. But also in the morning we found ants all over our food, and some in the bed. The lady at the front desk in the morning was very rude to us, and also didn't fix our checking issue. Their service department wouldn't pick up that night, so we had to go out to eat, and they're idea of remodeling was a joke. Than in the end when my bank finally took off the extra charges shilo still charged me 20 dollars more than what my receipt says. I am very disappointed that they did nothing about the ants, and we kept that room very clean so they shouldn't have charged us more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear rochelle p,

I am so sorry to hear that you had a few problems during your stay. I would be very interested in speaking to you about your stay. If there was a problem with your billing I would like to correct it. Please feel free to contact me.

Beaverton, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a room through Priceline, using their star system. It was listed as a two and a half star hotel. Priceline definitely needs to change the star rating on this hotel. I would give this hotel two stars - and that's being generous! Upon check-in, I was told that if I wanted a room with two beds, that it would cost me another $25. Well, if I wanted to pay an additional $25, I would have stayed at a three to four star hotel. Priceline did nothing to help change my reservation, and so I had to take the single King and my son had to sleep on the floor. When we entered the room, I almost turned around and walked out! The carpet was old and similar to the indoor-outdoor style carpet with no padding whatsoever. It was so dark, it was like walking into a dungeon - and the blinds were open! I prefer rooms that you can at least let some daytime light in, if you choose and this room had absolutely no natural light - it was very depressing. The bedspread was probably 20 years old, as well as the rest of the furnishings and the old TV. I will agree with the one review that the bathroom was clean, but it too was outdated. Now, I can't speak for the rooms that actually HAVE been updated, but their "OLD" rooms are horrible! Also, if you are a female staying alone, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. The lot is dark and too secluded and I was a bit scared to go out at night by myself. And this is the type of hotel that you have to walk outside to go anywhere. If you're looking for a nice, bright, updated and clean hotel, I'd recommend the Holiday Inn Express on the north end of town. The hotel is still new, the rooms are large, clean, bright and comfy. The furnishings are modern with large flat screen TV's and their free breakfast in the morning is better than most with actual pancakes, biscuits and gravy, sausage, eggs, etc. It too is listed on Priceline as a two and a half star, but it's more like a four star compared to the Shilo - and the Holiday Inn Express was less expensive! Sorry this is so long, but if you're like me and prefer a decent place to stay, I'd stay at several other hotels in the area - not the Shilo! Just an FYI also, avoid most of the one and two star hotels in Bend as they are all old and dumpy. I'd definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express, the Marriotts, the Phoenix Inn, the Oxford, (both the Phoenix and Oxford are right in the heart of downtown Bend). But do yourself a favor, unless you want to pay the extra money for an "updated" room, I'd recommend staying at one of the other hotels I listed for the same price or cheaper!

Room Tip: Maybe an updated room - if you want to pay more money!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear M G,

I am sorry to hear that you did not like your room during your stay. The night you stayed all we had available with 2 beds were rooms on the river and they are more expensive than the standard king rooms. All of our rooms except the standard kings have either a balcony or patio and a gas fireplace. We also do have roll away beds available. There is also a breakfast buffet included with your stay. The buffet includes scrambled eggs, home fries, sausage, pancakes, oatmeal and fruit. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Kevin C
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

"Shiloh Inn" in Bend provided a perfect stopover for us on a journey from Crater Lake to Portland and at such good value. Our room was comfy and spacious, and well appointed, the bathroom and room both beautifully clean, breakfast was generous and tasty and the staff in the dining room efficient and friendly and the grounds are beautifully landscaped too.

We found it hard to believe that so many amenities were available to us at such excellent value.

It is a chain and thus lacks character but it more than makes up for it with great amenities, location and landscaping ( including the Doggie Park) and spacious comfy rooms.

We would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Moosekeeter,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the housekeeping and landscaping staff. We look forward to you coming and staying with us in the future.

Kevin C
Genearl Manager
oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Today's prices but yesterday's furnishing. Breakfast included. Outdoor pool. Indoor pool and jacuzzi. Parking good. Close to a lot. Service ok. Bathrooms dated. Staff nice;-). Not a lot of night life nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear crimepays1229,

Thank you for comments about your stay. We do have a variety of rooms and some have been updated and some are a little older. We do our best to provide our guest with clean comfortable rooms. Thank you for choosing the Shilo Inn Suites in Bend.

Port Townsend, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After reading reviews on this property, we upgraded at check-in to a recently renovated room with a patio on the river. The room was great. I'd give it a five, and it was clean and comfortable. The patio, however, had two old plastic chairs that needed cleaning, and no table for books and beverages. The room rate was more than fair. If you don't mind stairs, choose second floor. When the people above us showered, I thought we were under attack.
The breakfast was included, but the only good choices were boxed or packaged. The eggs lacked any flavor, coffee was not hot and the potatoes didn't even tempt me. McKay Cottage (high tripadvisor rating) is right across the street, so go there instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated wings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear praeisbig50,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your during your stay. I am sorry that you did not find the free breakfast buffet to your liking. We provide a variety of options from freshly scrambled eggs, sausage, homemade potatoes and pancakes. Thank you for staying with us.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We upgraded to a larger room overlooking the Dechutes River in the 300 bldg. rather than the lower priced courtyard view. We stayed 2 nights. Very nice location! The complimentary breakfast was better than average as they have restaurant on site. Service was so so for a late dinner at the restaurant. The rooms are generally larger than most and are heavily used by skiers in the winter. (hard on the rooms)

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Bob Maxfield,

Thank you for telling us about your resent stay. It is great that you were able to take advantage of our river view room. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen staff about your breakfast and dinner.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend? Share your experiences!