“Wonderful experience with suburban Portland hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advance Purchase
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Salem, Oregon
“Wonderful experience with suburban Portland hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I recently had a holiday weekend stay at this hotel, to get a “jump start” on Christmas shopping in Portland, and found a great rate. Even though this property is out in suburban Portland, there are hundreds of stores in the immediate area along NW Cornell Road or NW 185th (e.g. Nordstrom Rack, SuperTarget, Ross Dress for Less, Trader Joe’s, Kohl’s, Macy’s, REI, Fred Meyer, Barnes & Noble, etc…..) If you are planning to head into Portland and really don’t want to drive, the Sunset Transit Center is just a few miles east on US Hwy 26 (take the Barnes Road Exit). TriMet MAX (blue line) light rail will take you into downtown in a matter of minutes; or, if you’re heading to PDX take the red line. An all-day pass for bus, MAX or WES is only $5.

This hotel sits in a quiet area, directly off US Hwy 26 and is not far from the many “silicon forest” companies in Washington County. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past several years and always found it to be very comfortable. The front desk staff is always customer service minded and refers to me by my name. On this particular stay the wonderful front desk crew checked me in and had already upgraded me to a suite! In addition, they had a note in their system that I prefer a particular room/suite! I had to wait about 30 minutes as the room wasn’t completely ready, which allowed me time to make a couple trips to the near-by stores. The room was a typical HGI suite, I like having the extra room and separate bedroom area. Rooms are always very clean and fresh. The lobby area is very spacious and has several conversation areas. On a business trip several years ago I had a planning meeting with one other board member in the lobby in a corner area. It was perfect, and with the Wi-Fi we were able to get a lot of work completed!

I’ve used the business center and fitness room on many occasions, and found them to be in working order. The fitness room is directly next to the pool, separated by a glass wall. It is outfitted with the standard Hilton “Precor” equipment. On this particular stay the fitness center was busy one morning. I’ve never used the pool or spa but it looks very inviting! If you are a member of 24 Hour Fitness, there is a brand new facility just across the parking lot. A nice added “perk” for those 24 Hour Fitness members.

The hotel offers a buffet breakfast in the mornings and dinner service in the evenings. Charlie’s on Sunset is the official name of the eating establishment, and is complete with full bar service. The morning of my stay the restaurant was full; apparently there was a soccer tournament in the area and one team was headquartered at the HGI. I had noticed signs of a sports team and was concerned about noise and late night activity. To my surprise there wasn’t any! The breakfast buffet is your stand HGI fare, quiet tasty and nice. I appreciated the fresh fruit offering, especially the blueberries! The biscuits and gravy were very good too! Something I never fix at home!

Overall, this is a very nice hotel for a leisure weekend in Portland or for business stays. The hotel staff is very customer service oriented and are helpful in answering questions about the area. They go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. I’ve never had a problem at this hotel, and have recommended it on many occasions to folks needing to stay in the greater Portland area.

Room Tip: If you are HiltonHHonors Gold or Diamond, be sure and ask for an upgrade to a suite!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were visiting family in Beaverton in November (brrr!). We've tried many places but this was by far the best so far! The price for a two-queen room was about the same as the lesser priced nearby places so by all means - stay at The Hilton! Our room faced 24 hour fitness so got no highway noise. We were there 5 nights and the first night we had a room next to the elevator. If you are a light sleeper do not take this room! Our room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. The desk was roomy with the signature Hilton ergo desk chair and we worked there effortlessly - able to look out the window too, to take our eyes off the computer. A bonus was that you could print from you laptop at your room's desk to the printer in the lobby's guest offices however I did not use it this time. There was another stuffed chair with ottoman and table which was perfect for reading the paper, watching t.v., having conversation or throwing your clothes on...which was what my husband did! Big closet, furniture updated/good looking. Microwave, coffee, fridge all came in handy and all worked well though we preferred the lobby coffee. Bathroom was standard and although two sinks would be nice one did the trick just fine. There were many early morning risers so 'muster' was early (I am a light sleeper) but once they finished their morning routines and were out the door, getting a little vacation late sleep was fine. Most mornings we found a newspaper outside our door which we really appreciated. The entry of the hotel is double-doored, automatic and as you can imagine this really comes in handy for two reasons in Oregon; you can get your luggage into the building and get yourself out of the rain/cold without spreading too much cold on the lobby area. The lobby area was terrific! It was tall,open, light, airy, clean, sparkling, warm and welcoming. The sitting area had 3 separate areas with at least two large, clean couches and cushy chairs in each area. The fireplace in the middle made it seem like home. Matter of fact, we sat there visiting with the kids a number of times and absolutely enjoyed it. I sat on the hearth to warm my back. There was a restaurant between the very large foyer separating sitting/fireplace area. The lobby was so airy you couldn't really smell the meals being served in the restaurant area. Front desk attendees were smiling, refreshing, polite, helpful and professional. Access to rooms was immediately down the hall from the front desk. Next to front desk was fresh coffee, tea and water with lemons - always full and welcoming. Fresh baked cookies available while they lasted at the front desk every night - a special treat we liked as we usually do not eat dessert! I used all of the workout equipment in the gym. The gym was clean and fresh, the equipment all in working order with television and clean towels usually available in handsome wood cubbies. Fresh water available and room temperature was good for a workout. The gym opened by glass door to the swimming pool which had restrooms. The pool was surrounded by concrete or tile deck (I forget!) and had nice chairs and in-deck hot tub. The pool is not huge but you could definitely get your 'water-fix' on and do a few laps or water walking. A number of times I saw various children frequenting the pool area having fun. The location was great! We were able to navigate the 'back' way to a lot of places unlike other places we have stayed and in doing so avoided aggravating traffic, especially the 'after 5 p.m. traffic'. It took about 8 -10 minutes to get to my daughter's home which was absolutely do-able. The access to malls via Cornell Rd. was really convenient. There were many malls and hundreds of stores, restaurants and groceries down Cornell Rd. We will stay here again assuming the price is still right!

Room Tip: Two tips for light sleepers. Take the top floor to avoid heavy footed guest noise. Do not take a r...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights. "Cons" lots of guests are smokers (here on business from Asia).
They like to congregate right outside the front door and smoke like fiends. You have to walk right by these people to get into the hotel. When the front door opens the smoke blows into the lobby. The receptionists do not do anything to control this smoking and the law in Oregon says you must be at least 10 ft from the door if you want to smoke. Of course, the ashtray is right next to the front door.
One night, we were awakened at 3am to the sound of people and a door slamming. Then we smelled smoke! We are on a "no smoking floor" and there is a 1 inch gap around the door. The smoke in the hall way filtered into the room. I was totally disgusted. I called the reception and they said they would take care of it right away. The smoke lingered in the room, even with the air conditioner on.
Another "con" is that the window only opens 2 inches.
Other than the smoking issue, which is huge, this hotel is a comfortable place to stay with free internet and a large room. It is nicely located and easy to get into Portland in less than 15 minutes.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bend, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

First the "cons" because it will be a short list.

Then the "pros"; a long list.

Then a couple of tips if you stay here.

BOTTOM LINE: Seems to be primarily a business traveler audience during the week and a family and leisure traveler audience on weekends with advantage of lower rates on weekend stays. We have been using Lake Oswego Hilton Garden Inn as our first choice hotel during leisure trips to the Portland area but we now add this Beaverton HGI to the most desireable list for weekend visits.

"Cons":

1. Bathrooms here are tiny. I'm a 5'4" size 4 woman and the bathroom was verging on crazy small even for me. Travelers are getting bigger, shouldn't bathrooms be getting more spacious?

2. While the interior of the hotel was sparkling clean and tidy everywhere, from lobby to pool to rooms to restaurant, the outside seating area at the restaurant was a mess when we stopped in for a gin and tonic after a long hot day. Abandoned cups, full ashtrays, dirty tables. Ugh. Almost as if management, clearly paying attention inside, stopped looking past the outside patio door. Easy to fix. (PS - Good gin and tonic though!)

3. Coffee in room is pretty tasteless. In as coffee centric a locale as the greater Portland area, they could do better.

See. A very short list of cons.

Otherwise it is all "Pros":

1. Ample parking in large lot, including about five spots of accessible parking.
2. Courteous desk staff; efficient check in and out.
3. Call from desk staff day after check in to ensure all was well was nice "we value your business" touch.
4. Attractive lobby; well maintained.
5. In house restaurant for breakfast buffet and dinner service; room service too at some hours.
6. Nice sized pool and spa.
7. WISIWYG exercise room; three aeorbic machines.
8. Biz center for those who travel without laptops or smart phones.
9. Good in room technology; free reliable wifi and flat screen tvs.
10. In room fridge, microwave, coffee maker in convenient set up.
11. Spacious rooms (in contrast to teeny baths).
12. Comfortable "sleep number" type beds + good pillows = good sleep
13. Quiet in halls at night - in spite of lots of folks evident on prem.
14. Evidence hotel pays attention to ADA in public areas; did not check out accessible rooms for same.
15. Clean, spotless, sparkling throughout interior; public spaces and rooms.
16. Free coffee in lobby in morning.
17. Convenient to freeway and downtown Beaverton; just a couple of miles from Nike campus.

Tips:

1. Rooms are on the east (back) side of the building are quieter and cooler. Avoid first floor rooms, especially on west (parking lot) side.

2. Nike campus is beautiful and from our experience, you're welcome to visit it. Only a couple of miles from hotel.

3. The Saturday morning Farmers Market in downtown Beaverton (8a to 1:30p) is one of the best anywhere. Go!

4. If you're looking for great food and service in an "all people are welcome" restaurant with a neighborhood place feel, try DiCarli's in downtown Beaverton. Or Mingo. Both restaurants are only 6 - 7 miles from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
mupchurch, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for your thoughtful review! We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.
Safe Travels-
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed here for one night with family and friends, and it was very good. It was clean, safe, convenient and good value, except a little bit noisy because it was very close to Hwy 26.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
mupchurch, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your comments and look forward to having you back during your family’s next trip.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

First, let me begin by saying that we booked at the Hilton due to a death of a close relative and therefore took what was available to us at the time. Our cousin who lives in Oregon made the reservation and since we were three adults she requested a roll-away cot. She was told that the hotel didn't provide one and so she had to book two rooms. When my partner called from Wisconsin a few days later (prior to our arrival) low and behold we found out that they DID indeed offer a roll-away. We immediately cancelled one of the rooms.

The stay at the first night was comfortable. We left in the morning to be with relatives and when we arrived back at the hotel that night we found:

A dirty coffee cup from the night before still on an end table
A dirty wine glass from the night before still on the desk
No new coffee to replenish what we had used
Bathroom towels that had been picked up off the floor and refolded instead of being replaced.

When we complained to the night clerk he apologized and promised a $15.00 discount off our visit for that day. However, when we went to pay the bill at the end or our stay (four days later) the person on the desk said they didn't know what we were talking about. After much discussion we were finally given the discount for the night in question. However, it turned out to be $14 not $15. A fact I didn't notice at the time.

The first morning my partner's sister went down at 7:00 a.m. to have coffee in their outside "garden". It was not a pretty site...beer cans and dirty ashtrays were strewn all over the tables. When she asked a manager to please clean the area so she could enjoy her morning visit, the only thing he did was discard the beer cans, emptying the left-over beer in the dirt around the plants, leaving the stench of beer in the air. Not only did he not clean the tables, he didn't even empty the ashtrays. Finally, after asking him again, he cleaned up the messes.

It repeated itself the next morning - dirty ashtrays and dirty tables. What could have been a pleasant start each moning to a stressful visit was just a source of aggravation.

Because of the poor cleaning and lack of customer service, I cannot in good conscience recommend staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
boots1949—
I appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay and am sorry to hear about your loss. I want to personally apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We want our guests to have the best stay possible where every area of the hotel is clean and spacious and all services are on-time and of the highest quality. Based on your feedback I have identified some areas of opportunity with my staff and these items will be addressed so that no other guest leaves the hotel as disappointed as you were. We value your opinion and I’d invite you to stay with us again so that we can prove our continued commitment to excellence.
Best Wishes,
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Nice digs, with comfy rooms, and a decent breakfast. A little tricky to find, and some additional road signs would help.

The internet (AT&T, of course), as abysmal. The hotel would do best to boot this provider, and bring in a professional one...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
mupchurch, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
MCosta1348--
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that the internet service did not meet your needs. Last year we installed state of the art technology throughout the hotel which was a tremendous asset to our property. The HGI Brand of hotels recently switched over to AT&T as the service provider of our internet in order to provide local customer service for our guests. We appreciate your feedback and are committed to taking suggestions such as yours into consideration when planning future improvements.
Regards,
MacKenzie

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton? Share your experiences!