We spent one night at the Sunset Motel on a drive down the Oregon coast. What a great find! We tried the Best Western Inn first, but they were full and recommended that we drive a mile to the Sunset. Thank you, Best Western!
We stayed in unit 200, a funky two-story, definitely old-school place with a sitting room and kitchen downstairs and two queen beds, bathroom, and balcony upstairs (for the same price as a regular room). Sure the furniture is dated, but that only added to the feeling that we were "somewhere," as opposed to an anonymous cookie-cutter motel. Yep, we liked it. The room had a wonderful view of the ocean and Face Rock (which, by the way, is just a bit creepy if the first time you see it is at sunset.) The views of the ocean are pretty much unobstructed from where we stayed.
The bed was very comfortable, and that's the main thing. We had been on vacation for about five weeks by the time we arrived here, staying in a variety of places, and this was one of the two most comfortable beds I slept in during the entire time. The only complaint about the room is that the shower head is just a bit too aggressively old-school. It needs changing. And the wireless internet connection was just a bit patchy, though it never actually stopped working. Other than that, give me this place any time. Sure, the motel doesn't have a lot of amenities, and the breakfast is uninteresting (yogurt, muffins, and coffee, but you pay for the juice), but when I'm on the road and just looking for a clean, comfortable place for the night, those aren't the things I look for. Was the Sunset Motel clean? Yes. Was it quiet? Yes. Was it comfortable? Very.
If we pass through again, we'll stop looking and come here first.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Oceanfront Lodging Hotel Bandon
- Sunset Oceanfront Lodging Hotel
- Sunset Hotel Bandon
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautifully situated on high ground overlooking a sandy beach, majestic sea stacks and the Pacific Ocean, Sunset Oceanfront Lodging offers beach access and a variety of accommodations. Family owned and operated since 1936. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Sunset Oceanfront Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.