“My Favorite Oregon Getaway Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Oceanfront Lodging
1865 Beach Loop Rd., P.O. Box 373, Bandon, OR 97411   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
A TripAdvisor Member
“My Favorite Oregon Getaway Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

While many places on the Oregon coast can be somewhat tourist-filled, Bandon remains a pristine town where you can find yourself strolling an empty beach with some of the most amazing views in the world – and not a soul in sight. I have made the Sunset Motel my vacation destination – the ideal place to leave the city behind and stay in an oceanfront room with a private terrace.

I have never had a bad experience at the Sunset. I always stay in the 'Vern Brown Addition' and opt for rooms with a sofa and a fireplace to enjoy the sunsets. The large sliding-glass doors allow the ocean breeze to flow into the rooms and the sound of the ocean while you sleep is unbeatable.

Yes, the rooms are what I'd call "kitsch," meaning that they are dated. BUT they are also immaculate – housekeeping cleans the rooms daily. The beds are comfortable, but I choose to bring my own pillows for added comfort – you know how hotel pillows can be.

• Stayed November 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

This was our first trip to Oregon. We stayed one night at the new "ocean view studios" section of the Sunset Motel in Bandon, Oregon. We loved it! The room was very clean, not fancy and it had a nice fireplace. The room was on the second floor and far enough from the beach front to not be bothered by the surf's loud noise but close enough to enjoy the view of the beach. The sunset from our studio room was awesome. We stayed June 16, 2004, their off-season, and the rate was $125.00 a night. The spectacular view was worth every penny we spent. We would definitely stay there again. As far as the older rooms, they were not impressive to me as we walked by heading to the beach. But they are probably 40 years old too.

• Stayed July 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2004

For more then 10 years I've visited the Sunset. The rustic rooms
hanging off the cliff walls and the fantastic view of the Pacific ocean
can't be beat. Winter storm watching is fantastic while warming by the
fire or lounging in a chair near the window.
People in town are always friendly and the shops and gallarys are fun and exciting.
Remember to feed the seagulls-they kinda expect it.

A must for any beach/ocean lover.

Kersti

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2003

I stay at the Sunset every time i go to Bandon. It's situated at my favorite spot on the beach, and with their addition of spa facilities it has everything I need. The views are great, and the people are nice.
I'd recommend it to anyone

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2003

My wife and I stayed there a few months back and thought it was pretty mediocre. We stayed in the Vern Brown Addition, listed on their website as "their newest units." When we pulled up, we both looked at the sign and laughed when we saw "Vern Brown Units: Built in 1988". I suppose "new" is a relative term, but honestly it more than bordered on disingenuous. The front door lock was saturated in W-D40 and so each time we came or went we had to gingerly wrap the key in a napkin so as to prevent our clothes from being stained. Overall it's what you would expect from a place built in 1988. To its credit, the views were beautiful. Whatever you do, be sure to have breakfast and lunch at Bandon Gourmet, down in old town, at the end of the little strip; the food is simply amazing.

Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2003

We stayed at the Sunset Motel in June 2003. We drove into Bandon without a reservation and scored one of the second story rooms in the newer addition across Beach Loop Road. We had a balcony and a partially obstructed view of the magnificent rocky coast. We were just steps across the street from the ocean. The room was gigantic with a living room area with sofa, chair, TV and fireplace, a desk area and a dining area. There was a mini-kitchenette as part of the large bathroom. This room was literally bigger than some apartments I've had. The staff was helpful about seeing the sights and giving us maps. We didn't see the pool or the laundry areas although they are on the premises. At night, the room was very quiet and I would stay in the newer, larger addition again rather than in the older, smaller cottages and units fronting the sand. It was a great deal and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2003

We spent two nights at the Sunset Motel (May 2003) and loved it!! The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful and let us view pictures of three rooms before selecting one. Our room was clean, well kept, and had a private balcony directly facing the ocean. What a view! We could hear the surf at night and watch the changing tides. There were steps right down to the beach to provide easy access. I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing, reasonably priced place to stay in Bandon.

Been to Sunset Oceanfront Lodging? Share your experiences!