“Pure Golf” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
You added Bandon Dunes Golf Resort to your Saves list
57744 Round Lake Dr, Bandon, OR 97411   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Dundee,Oregon
“Pure Golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

I have played the likes of Pebble Beach and Spyglass etc. and they are pretenders when compared to Bandon resort. All three courses are superb. You simply don't get better than this.
Now would someone please get me on Cypress! I gotta play Cypress just once, forget Augusta and Pine Valley! Keep em in the fairway!

• Stayed January 2004, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

A birthday gift to my partner, Ron Schmidt, turned out to be a wonderful weekend for both of us. I had arranged a surprise two night stay at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and a round of golf at Pacific Dunes Golf Course for Ron's birthday on a three day, Veterans Day holiday weekend.

We drove from Portland, Oregon to Bandon, Oregon on Friday and were greeted by a most hospitable staff at the resort. Our room, overlooking the 18th green of Bandon Dunes Golf Course, was comfortable and quiet.

We explored the resort's restaurants, pub, gift shop and golf shop. We were impressed with the service and food; anything we needed/wanted was provided with a smile!

A shuttle to the nearby one acre putting green, driving range or two other golf courses was always available. Complimentary golf clubs storage was a nice amenity.

Saturday's weather was great! Sunny and 57 degrees! Ron took off his jacket on Hole #2! I walked the first seven holes with Ron, his golfing partner and their caddies; then walked off adjacent to the first tee. The course was difficult, but beautiful. Golfing next to the Pacific Ocean is a wonderful experience - the waves were unusually high, the sun reflecting off the water, the sky a brilliant blue! I took some photos and they will provide us with a fun reminder of our weekend.

Ron's caddie was most helpful and attentive; Rolland made the game much more fun, as he offerred his advice and experience on play.

Ron and I ate dinner at McKee's Pub, a gathering place for many visitors of the resort. Our dinners were very tasty and reasonably priced. We also sampled drinks from the bar; again, the service was very good.

Ron purchased some posters at the gift shop: a panoramic photo of all three courses (Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails), the thirteenth hole at Pacific Dunes (Ron made par on it) and another poster of Pacific Dunes' thirteenth hole.

Both Ron and I would recommend a visit to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. The accomodations, staff, food, service, golf courses and general atmosphere was friendly, tasty and fun!

We hope to visit again soon; Bandon Dunes Golf Resort has attained world-wide recognition and well deserved!

Marian McDonald, Portland, OR

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

Bandon Dunes is a golf resort, the hotel rooms, the Pub are design for golfers. The courses are fantastic, the caddies could have been better.Bandon trails need to mature a little, my favorites are Pacific #1, Bandon#2, and Trails#3.

So if you are looking for a spa, entertainment, nightlife then pick a different resort, but for pure golf this is the place. I will be back till I can't walk the course.

• Stayed September 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2005

#1 complaint is the Rock hard beds, that hurt your back, and don't help the golf game. Where are the Westin Heavenly beds when you need them???!!!!

Beautiful setting...Rustic resort...

Problem #2: Apparently if it's sunny, there will be a four club wind. Otherwise is will be cold, foggy, rainy, and you could probably be anywhere, cause you sure can't see the ocean!

Problem #3: The town is nothing...So golf is pretty much it.

Problem #4: I had an arrogant caddy who pretty much ruined 2 of my 3 days of golf. He made a point of making noise in my back swing....because I didn't want to follow his instructions (he's a teaching pro elsewhere in the winter).

Only walking is allowed...pull carts available. They are building 2 more courses. I'd say go to Pebble, and even if it's cold there, the weather will be better...

Problem #5: Hard to get too, and a LONG drive!

Advice: It's the same price for 2 caddies as it is for 1 caddy with two bags (roughly $50 per person plus $25 tip)...Take the 2 caddies...I double bagged the first two days, and my half of the caddy spent all of his time trying to help my struggling friend, while I sat there waiting for my clubs...would have been better to carry my own bag and save the money for happy hour!

sherwood, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

Everything about this resort was as promised. The rooms were large and set up perfectly for the avid golfer. The restaurant menus were fine but limited. The pubs were outstanding in selection and service. All three golf courses were great. You can only walk the courses, so make sure you pace yourself. The caddies were really good as well. Bandon Dunes course was the easiest of the three, followed by Bandon Trails then Pacific Dunes. The courses are not as difficult as Whistling Straights or Pebble Beach but still offer a really good test. The pace of play was really good and we finished our rounds in about 4.5 hours. I liked this resort a lot and highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

Before my trip to Bandon, I tried to get as much information as possible about the resort from friends who have traveled there. At the time prior to my trip, all I heard was how this place was a golfing paradise and how much I would enjoy it. I hate it when people do that..........simply because it sets my expectations so high, so allow me to be as objective and as detailed as I can.

Travel:
Our group was traveling from TN. Not an easy experience. At the moment, there are limited entries into North Bend Airport and all the departures take place from either Eugene or Portland. We took the Portland route, and found out quickly YOU MUST HAVE PERFECT CONNECTIONS in order to catch your flight. My flight was initally delayed out of TN, which left me with a 12 minute connection time in Portland to catch my flight. I made it, clubs did not. On my return flight, we had to wait for the Horizon air plane. It arrived 30 minutes late and made my connection time on my return trip 9 minutes. I made it, clubs did not.

Several of our other partners came in on later flights and made it fine, but for those who travel at night, there was a problem with visibility and they were lucky to land at North Bend vs. being a standby passenger on the next morning flight. The aircraft Horizon (Alaskan) Air takes into North Bend is a 36 passenger aircraft.....and with everyone going to Bend to play golf in the summer, STANDBY is not what you want to hear.

Connections are tight as well with Horizon. I would HIGHLY recommend taking an early morning flight OUT of Bandon to fly home. By doing so you are protected in knowing that the aircraft that flew the last leg in the night before will be there first thing in the morning. Horizon has difficulties getting their "on time" performance up to snuff, so if you can get out of there earlier, the better off you are in making connections in Portland.

I do know that there is talk of expanding the airport for 2007....with flights coming in from SFO and LAX. That should help in providing more options for passengers, but for now, you're restricted with the number of available options.

Next time I will use Frontier or Southwest and "hope" for a smooth connection on Horizon.

Driving from Portland / Eugene:
We had some friends make this drive. As they say, 'it's a pretty drive', but it's also a long one. Depending on how long you plan on staying at the resort, you may be better off making the drive and getting to Bandon at your own pace.

Once you arrive at the airport, we made arrangements for a shuttle to pick us up and take us to Bandon. The trip is $51 round trip, not including tip. It was very nicely done. We never found ourselves once wishing we had a car once we got to the resort.

Bandon Resort:
The resort is about a 30-40 minute drive from the airport down some winding roads. If you get motion sickness, I recommend taking a dramamine before you board the bus. It can get a little curvy at times.
The resort doesn't have any grand entrance. It's very basic and serves a golfers basic needs.

Our accomodations were in the GROVE cottages. They ran us $1200 for 4 bedrooms. They are brand new and offer state of the art flat panel t.v.'s. We played 36 holes of golf per day, so we never really enjoyed them that much. I think they would be better served by having jacuzzis on the outside patio for those golfers with ailing bodies after a round.
The rooms have a mini frig, coffee maker, and complimentary water bottles. They will stock your frig for additional cost. We found the price paid to be in line with most hotels.

The Groves offerred a fireside pit where people could sit out in the woods late at night and chat........other than that........nothing else. They were quiet and the furniture was comfortable. The bathrooms housed standup individual showers with a rain forest nozzle and a removable nozzle. No Bathtups to sooth your aching body.

We did not get a chance to review the lodge, but I did find several aspects of the lodge I did not like that I believe Bandon needs to improve on.

The breakfast buffet in the Gallery restaurant was reasonably priced at $10.50/ ind. This included coffee, drinks, and a full buffet. The basic buffet provided eggs, hash brown potatoes, sausage, bacon, seasonal fruit, danishes, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and sometimes french toast, biscuits w/ gravy, pancakes, blitzes, depending on the day. Service was good, but at times we saw them very understaffed.

We never ate in the restaurant for dinner because we found McKee's pub to be just as good and much cheaper. We ate there every night.....dining inside, or outside by the fire pit. When things get busy, it's very evident they don't have enough people to handle the business. On some occassions we saw a manager helping out, but it was quite apparent that things weren't running smoothly.

The food was always hot and very good (with exception of desserts). The desserts are store bought and are not made in house. I would recommend bringing a bag of Oreo's from home. They would be much better.

We had Sheperds' Pie, Grandma thayer's meatloaf, burgers, sandwiches, etc. EVERYTHING was good. Only one disappointment was the clam chowder soup. A little different, but good none the less.

They have some great red wines there and good micro brews. The alcoholic drinks are big and very reasonably priced. I would have to say McKee's was my favorite place on all of Bandon property.

GOLF:
We played 36 holes a day. Played all the courses. Used caddies for the most part. Some were helpful......some are not.

BE VERY CLEAR WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR RESERVATION AS TO THE TYPE OF CADDIE YOU WANT!
What I mean ..........if you only want your caddie to help you with direction off the tee, you don't need a senior caddie. If you need help finding a ball, you don't need a senior caddie. If you need someone to help you in direction and where you need to aim on the green, an "A" caddie may be better, but a junior caddie would do fine.

The only reason to take a SENIOR CADDIE is if you are a single digit handicapper and you want to play that way. TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT HIM TO DO FOR YOU. Don't assume that he will do what YOU think HE should do. You have to tell him what you expect and what you want.....otherwise, he will simply tell you to "hit it here" "putt it on this line". The wind controls so much, that a Senior Caddie can give you an idea as to where to hit the ball as it relates to a distance shot. I recommend WADE for all golfers. HE was great with all handicap levels. He made a 22 handicapper in our group look like a single digit!

The thing about Bandon is that the Wind will dictate so much of where the ball is going. If you hit a ball into the wind, the smallest movement right or left will take the ball that way and put you in the ocean, the goarse, or the bunkers. This course is a VERY CHALLENGING COURSE and can be VERY DISCOURAGING when the wind is blowing. You can lose total control of your game and wonder 'why did I spend $200 to play'?

Take what the course gives you. Work on knockdown shots before you go......you WILL need them. Take the clubs that give you the most trouble out of your bag and leave them at home. You'll only be convinced to break them when you're in Bandon.

DRESS:
I wore shorts and long sleeve shirt during the day. I kept rain pants in my bag for the afternoon round and was perfectly comfortable. The sun and wind is VERY DAMAGING. Put on plenty of protection because you will burn if you don't.
At night, I had a sweatshirt, jeans.

SHOES:
I wore Footjoy's during the rounds. I carried my bag. I found Pacific and Bandon easier to carry a bag versus Bandon Trails. They do offer a pull cart, and it seemed to do well.........but there weren't a whole lot of them being used. Most preferred to take a caddie or carry their own.
WHERE COMFORTABLE SHOES. We walked Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes the same day.........that's about 16 miles in one day. There are several hills and steps, so you WILL get tired feet. Consider where supportive tennis shoes, or very comfortable golf shoes. I found the tennis shoes did not slip, but I had dry conditions. If there is mist, you would definitely want something with traction........even some Merrell's or New Balance Hiking shoes....which is what many caddies wear.

COURSES:
Bandon was my favorite. Pacific #2. Trails #3. You don't feel the wind as much on the trails course, but it's still there. Several bunkers get into play on the trails course......and it's LONG from the tips as well. A lot of hiking up to tee boxes. A lot of steps to the next tee. They have a few nice holes, but more people prefer the other course set ups. You're there, may as well play the course.

Bandon and Pacific offer the ocean scenery most golfers enjoy. You can play it more like a links course because of the wind and the very fast greens.
REMEMBER THIS TIP: (My caddie didn't mention it to me until the 71st whole out of the 72 I played).
The North wind blows the grass DOWN on the greens. If you hit on the front edge, and the wind is blowing, it will blow all the way back to the end of the green. If no wind, it will still release to the center. The put coming back is going to be VERY SLOW. (this tip alone could save you 10 strokes!)

Both courses offer remarkable vistas and challenging shots. Very nice courses. Would they be my favorites, I think it all depends on the conditions at the time. To some.......they are the best, likely because they had partly cloudy skies and no wind. To others, they were good but very difficult. To a select few (rain, wind), worst experience they have ever had.

It's worth playing these courses, but I won't be making a trip back anytime soon. Rather go to Scotland for the money paid.

CRITICISMS:
For a golf "resort", they do NOTHING to enhance the experience. I don't believe it should be called "Bandon Dunes Golf Resort". Resort implies there are other activities available on the site. This is NOT the case. There is nothing for families to do after playing golf other than visit the gift shop. They imply there is a spa and gym, but I've seen Courtyard's by Marriott with better amenities.

Bandon needs to offer more. The previous posters on this page are correct. IF YOU'RE GOING FOR ANYTHING BUT GOLF.........YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!

Don't take the family unless you play golf together.

SPA:
HOW in the world does a "golf resort" not have a world class facility. Walk 15 miles......and you have to share a small whirlpool with all the other golfers. The massage therapy specialty is swedish. No one concentrates on reflexology......and the workout room is smaller than my bedroom in the cottage.

They need to improve on this.

SERVICE:
Service was polite and courteous and very helpful, but I believe it would serve them better to be a NO TIPPING facility. Every time you were picked up by the shuttle, you tipped the driver for getting your clubs, then you tipped the bag stand for taking your clubs, then you tipped the caddie, then you tipped the bag stand, then the driver again. Just charge me a flat $10 resort fee for the day and pay everyone so I don't have to bring money everywhere I go.

OVERALL:
If I lived West of the Rockies, I would make this an annual trip. East...........I'll wait until they build the 4th and 5th course to make another trip out there.

If you like additional information, I would be glad to provide any insight you may need.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

Awesome links golf without having to cross the pond... Accommodations were average, poor beds, bad climate control systems in the rooms and the staff at the restaurants were unfamiliar with the cuisine being served as well as the wine list. Having said all of that, the golf was magnificent and I look forward to a 2nd trip in the future.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!