“Golf and only golf” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
You added Bandon Dunes Golf Resort to your Saves list
57744 Round Lake Dr, Bandon, OR 97411   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
San Diego, California
“Golf and only golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Spent 4 nights here last week playing 36 holes per day. It's all walking so definitely bring some comfortable golf shoes. Also I highly recommend getting a caddie. I had a caddie for 5 of the 6 rounds (6th round was on the Par 3 so I didn't take a caddie for that one) and it was completely worth it, especially if you get a caddie that not only knows what he is doing but is a good player in his own right (I did - same caddie for all 5 rounds).

My favorite course is the highly underrated Bandon Trails. Very peaceful and serene track cut out of the forest and winding up and down a mountain. So quiet you could hear a pin drop - our tee shots were echoing! Only problem with this course was the mosquitos. Holy cow it was bad - this ended up being a strange combination of one of my favorite courses ever combined with the worst conditions ever. They've got to get the mosquito problem under control - apparently a marsh got restored nearby which brought in the mosquitos. The city and the state are supposedly trying to deal with it. Even the Bandon guys working there were not happy - I think they were losing business due to all the skeeters.

I personally felt that Pacific Dunes is overrated. Maybe it is because I played it in the afternoon with high winds, but I thought a lot of the holes were unnecessarily tricked up. Bandon Dunes is great - played it twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon the next day. Afternoon round was definitely tougher with the winds.

Old MacDonald is the easiest of the 4 big courses and I shot my best round there. Other than a few great ocean view holes though, it is pretty unmemorable. Would only play that one once. The par 3 course Bandon Preserve is really neat. Lots of options for how to play every hole. Definitely recommend hitting that one in the afternoon late in a trip, especially if your feet are tired from walking the big courses.

If you have 3 days and want to play twice a day, I would recommend Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails twice, Pacific Dunes once and Old MacDonald once. Substitute Bandon Preserve for your last afternoon if you aren't feeling up to another big round. And definitely get a caddy on the big courses. Value is OK - I think the replays should be cheaper.

Stayed in the Lodge - the rooms are comfortable but not memorable. You are there for the golf anyway. The burgers and the pizza in the Scottish pub are good. Beer selection is decent. Plan on spending at least $2,500 if you play 6 rounds with a caddie and stay 4 nights in the Lodge.

Room Tip: In the Lodge, the rooms on the south side facing east are the quietest. Everyone wants a room facin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went on a 5 day golf trip with 3 buddies and we were all blown away. It was amazing. Our room at the Inn was $380 a night for rather average lodgings, but that is not why you are there. The golf is absolute world class and having 4 of Golf Digest's top 20 courses is why. One of the courses (Pacific Dunes) rates number 2 in the US and rated number 1 a few years ago (ahead of Pebble beach). The ocean holes are spectacular. The service was impeccable from the front desk, to the servers, to the proshop, to the shuttle drivers and most importantly, the caddies. The knowledge that the caddies have make a huge difference in playing there. They are highly recommended. Plenty of deer right outside your door give this resort a very outdoorsy feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Inn that backs onto the 18th green. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent four days playing 36 holes per day. We were greeted as we drove up the driveway. It was the beginning of a great experience. Their motto tells it as it was: "golf the way it was intended". I plan to return again when the goarsh bushes are in bloom. What an beautiful golden sea coast area to play golf. I would rate it far above Peeble Beach.

• Stayed May 2013
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

After hearing so much about Bandon, I expected more. We went with 3 other couples and stayed in the grove cottages for 3 nights and 4 days of golf. At $1800 a night, I expect much better accommodations. It was furnished in an arts and crafts style, but the cushions on the sofas were so used that we all sunk in and felt like we were slipping off. The beds were comfortable, and there is a mini fridge, so that was a plus. The bath products were good, as were the towels and the beds, however, in a king bed, you could use more that 2 standard pillows.

We ate on the property 2 nights which was good food. The wine list is way over priced, so if you are flying in privately, bring your own wine. It's only a $20 corkage fee, but at least you won't be paying $250 for a $50 bottle of wine. Nothing like feeling gouged.

The workout facility is small. You might be better off running the hills.

The courses....we had a 2 and a 3 handicap, a 6,9,12,18, 21 and 26 in our group. Everyone had a great tie, but the one common complaint was the greens. They were terrible. Dirt in some places on Pacific, where you could watch the ball hop. The scenery is spectacular. Each course has it's own feel. There are no carts, so be prepared to walk up some steep inclines. It's makes for a great rounds. Does it live up to the hype? no...not really. I'm glad we went, but I don't ever have to go back. There are better places to play for the money. The 13 hole par 3 course is fun. It's $100 greens fee and you get a cookie when you finish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ft lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have read alot of the reviews and agree with most all of them,, B.D. is the place to go! We (all 8 of us) stayed at the Inn and were very satisfied with everything there,without mentioning the view of the 18th green from my window!! As for the courses, well like everyone says they are unique and different and the golf is extremely different from what I play (here in South Fla.)
Finally some other thoughts,, I did not go there to eat gourmet food, although the food was quite good,the service and cadddies(bobby) were great,and last but not least, if you are counting your pennies, really don't go there, matter of fact why go on vacation at all if your looking at your wallet??
Oh make sure your golf shoes are comfortable, by the 4th day you will be feeling it after walking up and down and about 30 yards between each green and tee! ( My only complaint! LOL)
AL

Room Tip: go for the Inn looking out on the 18th fairway!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is the ultimate golf resort. Lovely rooms, excellent service, and of course fantastic golf. Booked one night as we did not know our exact schedule as we were driving up the coast. Got in and asked if they had a second night available. Desk manager said he did not have a second night in the cheaper room we had booked but would put us in a better room for the same price for 2 nights--Chrome Lake. Beautiful room with a fireplace and deer outside the window. Service is great there, had a lovely dinner in the Pacific Dunes restaurant. And the golf is the best in the country. Little touches made the stay, for our anniversary they laid out chocolates, fruit, nuts and calendars on the bed as a gift.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We statyed on the property and played every course. Each is different and a challenge. It is very much like links golf in Ireland or Scotland. No posh fairways just great golf. The food at the location restaurants was very good and the overall service was great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!