“Unique golf experience with caveats” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
You added Bandon Dunes Golf Resort to your Saves list
57744 Round Lake Dr, Bandon, OR 97411   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Vero Beach, Florida
“Unique golf experience with caveats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I met up with another couple we know from Florida. We all loved the beauty and serenity of the course and the ocean setting. We had warm dry weather which is unusual for the area. The resort is ideal for a group of guys on a golf vacation.

We had a great time and have no regrets but probably would not return. The negatives are: difficult location to travel to, generally harsh weather for golfing, expensive( as a couple we played 4 days staying 3 nights at chrome Lake. With caddies, it costs about $1200/day) and parts of the courses were in poor condition. Some of the fairway had thin cover. The greens in Old McDonald were impossible to read even for the caddies. The worse were the Mosquitos at the Preserve. Each of us were attacked by 30 to 50 dive bombers, hungry and aggressive. When the wind blows they go away. Play the Preserve ion the afternoon.

The true golf devotee and low handicapper will over look these issues and have a wonderful experience. The other will too if they manage their expectations.

Room Tip: We were told that September is the best weather month. This years is reportedly the worse for Mosqui...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Bandon Dunes is a perfect place to go for a golf outing. As a high handicapper (21 index) I was a little concerned before the trip about the walking and the difficulty. We played Pacific, Old Macdonald and Bandon. Maybe it was because the winds were relatively calm, but I actually played better than my handicap. You can spray your tee shot all over the course and be ok. I think I had 3 penalties in 3 days. You get some crazy bunker shots that give you the opportunity to do something great or have a good laugh. The courses were all different but I think Bandon was the coolest (Pacific is generally the highest rated)

Make sure to use caddies if possible. I had the same caddy each day and by the second day he knew my game better than I did. At times it was like a playing lesson. It was the first time I have really felt that a caddy helped me with anything other than reading putts.

As for the resort, we stayed in the Chrome Lake cottages, which were very nice accommodations. The resort had a great shuttle system that took us everywhere with no delay. The restaurants were acceptable, with McKees Pub being my favorite.

The place is very hard to get to from the Midwest and the weather can be anywhere from ok to crappy. But if you love golf, it is all worth it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night, 3 day stay with 10 guys at Bandon Dunes. A phenomenal time had by all.

The great:
* golf courses are just excellent - our general order of preference was Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails, Pacific Dunes then Old MacDonald. There par three Plantation also fun to do but different type of golf. Views are outstanding
* great shopping - if you are the type that likes souvenirs, there are tons to choose from
* the service - everyone we met was very friendly and very accommodating

The good:
* the food - very good food....not off the charts but solid
* the accommodations - we stayed on the Chrome Lake doubles.....loved that we had two king size beds vs. typical queen. Rooms were very spacious

The ok:
* the prices for the rooms - we paid $400 per night for high season rooms. No complaints with the room quality for what we needed....just the value. Note though that they probably compare themselves to Pebble Beach which is (I believe) $700 per night
* it is a distance to travel / not that convenient but we knew that up front so no complaints...just a drawback if you want a quick trip

Some tips:
* Indicate what type of caddy you want - they have more than 350. Some are really knowledgeable on golf and the course; some are young; some are older; some are quiet; some will talk a lot if you want. We had 4 great caddies and got one changed after day 1 and then we had 5 great caddies
* We all shoot in the mid 80s to mid 90s and getting a caddy was worth 5 - 10 strokes a round helping with club selection in the wind, with lines for tee shots and putting and makes the second 18 as good as the first rather than being exhausted for the final 9 (no carts allowed)
* we learned afterward that you can rent houses nearby if you want to save some money on accommodations
* starting on the par 3 course can help you warm up to links golf and the wind and get you better prepared for the 18 hole tracks. We ended on the par 3 course.
* Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes are most similar - Trails and Old Mac are very different courses. If you can try them all...do it

Would go back in a heartbeat save for the fact that there is so much in the world still to see.

If you love golf and can make it happen.....do it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Wow! What an amazing place! I just returned from an 8-buddy trip to Bandon. We stayed at the Grove Cottages, played all 6 course at least once (read on), and dined in all the restaurants. The place is a golf mecca -- truly a mecca because it feels like your traveling around the world to get there. We all flew into Coos Bay from San Francisco. The afternoon flight to Bandon was sold out; so I had to fly out to SFO the night before and take the earlier flight. It gave me a chance to start adjusting to the time change.

We have all seen the pictures, read the reviews, and know of Bandon reputation -- so I was pumped! I have played the high-end courses in Northern Ireland and Scotland; I LOVE true links golf. My first impression of Bandon was "Wow, it's brown." They must take all their publicity pictures in the winter, because there was nothing lush and green. Again, I love true links golf, so I wasn't nervous. Here are my thoughts on the golf. I am a 10 handicap who just doesn't play enough golf and never practices. I love great courses. In 2013, here is the complete list of courses I've played (in order): Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Bayonet, Pebble Beach, The Old Course @ The Homestead, TPC Sawgrass, Sabot Course @ Hermitage CC (Richmond, VA), Twin Lakes GC (Fairfax, VA), Spotswood CC (Harrisonburg, VA), Cape Cod National, Triggs Memorial (great old Ross course in Providence, RI).

- Caddies: We had the same four caddies for every round. We had 8 players, so they double bagged and we rotated. Three of the four caddies were great! I was lucky enough to have the same caddy all four days. He won the Irish Closed Amateur in the late '90s. He just oozed "great player." I let him down by not executing lots of shots, but he learned my game and really helped me. I will certainly return to Bandon and I'll certainly request Ciaran. You'll also be very happy if you get Shane or Brandon. All three are great guys and really added to our experience. My mom always said "If you can't say something nice…", so I am only mentioning those three.

- Pacific Dunes: We played it first and then a couple days later. Our first round was cool (almost cold) and very windy (even by Bandon standards in July). We had the typical summer wind for the first round and the prevailing winter wind for the latter round. It was amazing how different the course played. Pacific has some GREAT holes. The oceanfront holes are fantastic. I think there is something magical about a "stretch" of ocean holes -- like #7-#10 at Pebble or #9-#11 at Turnberry. Pacific (or Bandon) never really have that stretch. No the problem: the green were poor. Not bad. Not good. Poor. I was shocked. The combination of fescue and poa annua makes them bumpy and inconsistent. There were sandy spots with very little grass. If these greens were at your local muni, people would be up in arms.

- Pacific Trails: We only played it once immediate after Pacific. The greens were slightly better. I really liked the layout. The combination of short par 4s, a monster par 3, and great par 5s is fantastic. Many of our guys said this was their favorite course. It does have a Spyglass feel (without the great holes by the water). A couple of horrible shots ruined what could have been a great round for me. I was tired. Walking that much in that wind took it out of me.

- Bandon Dunes: I have a hard time deciding if I like Bandon or Pacific better. We played it twice, early on our second day and our final round. Again, we had summer winds for the first round and winter winds for the second. To get a sense of the difference, I played #13 with a solid drive, solid hybrid, gap wedge with the summer wind and solid drive, 7 iron to 3 feet with winter wind (I missed the eagle putt). Again, GREAT holes and lousy greens.

- Bandon Preserve: We played the 13-hole short course in the afternoon -- no caddies, we pulled our bags in the carts they provide. THE GREENS WERE PERFECT!!!! They are by far the best greens at Bandon. The were fast, smooth, true, and beautiful. If the rest of the courses had these greens, I would have enjoyed the golf MUCH more. Preserve is awesome. An interesting mix of awesome par 3s. We were confused by which tees to play on some holes, but that made it more interesting. BTW, they let you play with large groups, so we played as an eight-some with a blind draw two-man better ball. It was a fantastic afternoon.

- Old Macdonald: Old Mac was my biggest surprise. I was not expecting to like it after reading some of the reviews. But I loved it! There greens were much better than the other courses (not as good as the Preserve). The greens are as big as you've read. I shot 80 with 9 three putts. I am not counting when I used putter off the green. I think I had putter in my hand for 45 shots. Crazy. But I loved it. Lots of the holes reminded me of other great holes I've played; but these aren't copies, they just draw inspiration from other great holes. Lots of the bunkering has problems. I don't know if they plan to just let the winds form organic bunkers or if they are going to fix them, but lots of sand has blown out and you can get some bad lies that you wouldn't expect on a world class course. For example, my ball was sitting on gravel in a fairway bunker on #17. There was literally no sand left in the bunker. But it is a great golf course and I wish we'd played it twice.

- Okay, I said 6 courses. They have a nine-hole par 3 laid out in the driving range. When the range is open, they are target pins. A couple of nights per week, they close that side of the range and open the par 3. It is much more akin to Pebble's Peter Hay course than the Preserve, which is much more like a "real course." The wind was howling when we played this unnamed course. There are some great holes on it! We played it in an eight-some as a four-man scramble. I would have loved to go back and played my own ball. Next time.

- Okay, maybe there are 7 courses… There is a natural looking, lightly maintained, 12-hole (?) course called the Sheep Ranch just north of Old Macdonald. It isn't part of the resort, but owned by Keiser. I wanted to make the trek over there, but couldn't convince my buddies. Dang.

By the way, practice long putts and tight lies before getting there. Short game killed me! Literally, get comfortable chipping and pitching off hardpan at home. You won't be on hardpan, but it is practically identical.

Here are pros and cons of the resort itself:

Pros:

- The Grove Cabins are great for buddy trips. Four bedrooms and bathrooms are great.

- The beds were comfortable. I was worried about waking up sore or stiff, but even with all that golf, I was always rested in the morning.

- The food was VERY good and moderately priced. I left every meal satisfied and felt like I got more than my money's worth. The black cod at Pacific was AMAZING.

- Drinks were almost very moderately priced. With a captive audience, I expected the prices to be higher.

- The shuttle service means you really don't want a car. Service was a little slow sometimes, but mostly perfect.

- I got a massage when I arrived. It was very good and really loosened me up after all that travel.

Cons:

- The Grove Cabins feel like they were furnished as college dorm rooms. The modern furniture and sparse feel wasn't what I was expecting. The gas burning fireplace felt awkward in the big living room. The Lodge at Pebble has gorgeous wood-burning fireplaces, Bandon should consider them. For $1600/night, I really expected more.

- For a place that caters to buddy trips, they do a really bad job splitting checks. We decided to just evenly splits bills between the eight of us, but the wait staff often seemed "put out" to have to do the math to split the check between our individual accounts. My bill was almost $500 more than my buddies at checkout. When I looked at my bill, I realized that I had a $250 charge that should have been split and another time where I was charged for two "shares" of a dinner bill. Seems like they need a better system and to train the employees to be happy we have eight buddies there.

- It was an expensive trip and to be honest, I am not sure it is worth the price. We were there for 6 night, but only played golf on 4 days. That extra $800 in the cabins seems like a waste (in hindsight). Next time, I think I'll fly in, play a course that afternoon, two-days of 36 holes, and depart. I'll get all the golf courses for about half the price.

- I am not a "spa guy." But when I get a massage, I kinda want the "spa experience." They don't have a spa, it is a barebones massage. No sauna. No whirlpool. No shower. You put your clothes back on all greasy. Not what I was expecting for that price.

Okay, that's long… Sorry for the typos; I am too tired to edit this ;-)

Room Tip: I would avoid Grove Cabins. For the money, I think I'd stay in the lodge.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Rye Brook, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

4-day buddies trip to Bandon last week, quite an experience. Everything here is about the golf... while the accomodations and food are very good, and the prices certainly no bargain, the golf operation is the centerpiece.

We played all the courses, with Old Macdonald and Bandon Trails probably our favorites. No bad courses here, but if you're from the east coast as we are, and not accustomed to playing into 25-40mph winds for 4 days straight, the golf is really a tough test. My advice... spend some time on the range at home before you get here working on knocking down 4-iron shots along the ground... that's the way the game is played there.

All in all, a great experience, glad we went, but doubtful that i would make it an annual trip vs going somewhere else, mainly due to the travel time from the east coast, and the different game you have to play there to be successful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

From start to finish first class all the way. The golf courses, the staff the food and the accommodation all exceeded expectation, the only thing that could be proved upon was my golf score! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hard to get to but well worth the effort. The place is about golf and nothing else - heaven on earth for the golf nut. Lodgings nice & comfortable but not perfect. Could use refrig & ice rather than the wine cooler. Bed comfortable. Shuttle service between venues works perfectly. Restaurants quite good. Now the golf.....the courses are amazing, especially Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails and the Par 3. Old McDonald didn't do much for me. Be prepared for any type of weather. Played one morning in 56 degree temp, 1 1/2 rain during the round and 30-40 mph winds. That afternoon played is short sleeves and shorts. Caddies are a true value added. Some blind shots but not many. Greens and green surrounds quite firm. If I were to practice anything prior to a trip to Bandon it would be long range putting as it is often the shot of choice from around the greens. Do not miss the Par 3. Could play it everyday day of my life and never tire of it. Old McDonald worth playing but only once - too funky for my taste. Or as one of our companions said - it's liking seeing a tribute band. Cool but not the original.

Never leftmost the resort. Coffee, etc. available at clubhouses. Lunch excellent. And meals surprising good, especially considering that they have a captive audience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!