“Great food and beers” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Baker City
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, Bar, Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Barley Brown's was established in 1998. It's located in the Historic District of Baker City Oregon. The in-house brewery can be viewed from the dining room. Best Places Northwest says "Baker City's best (and biggest) dinners come from this family-friendly brew pub" Fudors describes it as the "Cheers" of Baker City. The beautiful oak bar is surrounded by antique bar stools made from the original jury chairs out of the Baker County court house. It's a fully stocked bar, with a wine list, and featuring Barley Brown's award winning beers. The dining room is lined with large oak booths under a stamped tin ceiling. The one story brick building is easy to find at the corner of Main and church streets. It has a parking lot and plenty of street parking. Closed Sundays and most Holidays.
Baker City, Oregon
“Great food and beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Death burger is excellent, nachos are huge and yummy, ribs are to die for. Award winning beers and friendly owners and staff.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Portland
“Great beer, Very good food, Probably the best restaurant in Baker!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went to Barley Brown's with my wife and son. There was about a 15 minute wait to be seated, which I understand is normal for Friday night.

I started off with the beer "flight" or taster for $10. It was really fun to go around the platter and try 11 different beers, most of which were excellent! For the record, my favorite was the Shredders Wheat. I shared with my wife and it was a fun experience.

Next, I ordered Fish and Chips ($14). I chose curly fries as my side. They fish (Halibut) was very good, crispy not greasy. My wife had the Reuben ($9). She said the meat was very good, supposedly marinated in beer. But she thought they had put too much butter on the bread before they grilled it, which made it a tad greasy or soggy. My son ordered the large Nachos ($13). They were huge! Probably enough for two people. They were also very good!

The service was great, the atmosphere was fun. If not for the soggy Reuben I would probably give them 4 1/2 dots! Still we will definitely go back.

I have eaten at most of the highest rated restaurants in Baker, and Barley Brown's is the best in my opinion!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington State
“Pleased everyone in our party!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were visiting family in Baker City and while doing the historical walk of the city, the manager of the art center (another good place to see) recommended Barley Brown's. In fact, we saw her there that evening! There was a long line at the door on that Saturday evening, but there was a big table open in the bar that bypassed the waiting line. The four of us ordered four different entrees and each one of us enjoyed our dinners. I LOVED the vegetarian platter--very well prepared. Very generous servings. My husband knows his craft beers and found the Twisted Whisker Scotch Ale and the WFO IPA very acceptable. I enjoyed my non-hoppy Jubilee. The other two in our group do not drink alcohol, but found the atmosphere very pleasant. We would all say that our server, Kari B., was the best! I particularly noticed that she checked on us often by just walking by and surveying our table (quietly) to see if there was anything we needed. The next time we are in Baker City we will definitely go back to Barley Brown's! We would also recommend the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center--not to be missed!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Idaho
“BEST BEER EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

OK, now I know that is a BOLD statement...but I have to tell you that I have been drinking beer for over 35 years and had never tasted such a great blend of flavor. They have many to choose from, but my favorites by far are "HOT BLONDE" which has Jalepeno infused flavor, and their new "JOAN" which has Ginger and Jalepeno flavors. I have to bring two growlers home when I travel to Baker City it is sooo good. My family laughs at me when I exclaim that it is the best beer ever! Pallet Jack is also a great beer, and too many others to list. They opened the Taproom across the street, and you can taste all their great beers. Check out their website...very well done and you can see all the beers and menu.

Food is wonderful too, which makes this a Fantastic Find when traveling on the road. I regularly have the "Angry Chicken Salad", or the "Mad Pasta" which has Alligator and Shrimp (I don't know where the swamps are in Baker City, but they must have well fed gators!).

Try this place out, and take a growler home to share with friends (or just for you if your selfish...grin)

Visited March 2014
Baker City, Oregon
“Top restaurant in Baker City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great restaurant, always packed with patrons. The food is great. They have a great selection for diners. They also have really good Burgers and a outstanding Nacho plate to go with the beer selection. Outstanding micro brews. The prices are all within reason. Great hometown atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014