“A Grand Old Lady - Nothing More” 2 of 5 stars

Geiser Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1996 Main Street, Baker City, OR 97814   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baker City
Carmel, CA
“A Grand Old Lady - Nothing More”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Such a magnificent establishment showcasing the craftsmanship, designs, and qualities of a former era.
What a shame that management has let the service, and food, fall to such depths. I refer to prior reviewers, with whom I concur regarding the terrible food, extremely slow service, mistakes as to billing and reservations, etc.
Maybe someone will come along and revitalize this classic.. I hope so!

Room Tip: be sure to ask about type of bed
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is an amazing rehab project. This beautiful and historic hotel was a fantastic place to stay for one night. The rooms are spectacular and the prices reasonable. The front desk person offered us a discount without a request. The restaurant was very good for dinner, but the breakfast was below average and is not included. We looked for a breakfast restaurant the night before in the surrounding blocks and found nothing. While the Geiser Grand stands as a beacon in Baker City, there are few businesses in the neighborhood to support it.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with four people, the parlor suite pull out sofa has an air mattress that needs...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baker City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We live in Baker and this was our favorite restaurant but it has gone to hell! The customer service is terrible and so is the cook staff we had to send back four of five steaks and they treated us like it was our fault. We also reserved a room for our wedding night and was charged for the room before we stayed in it which is not standard practice for a hotel. When I asked the hotel manager to credit my company card and apply my personal card he told me that was not possible. We had a verbal confrontation and to be honest if my best man hadn't stopped me I would have drug him over the counter. This was just a couple of bad experiences we have had lately, they are usually out of anything would like to order so you have to settle for something else. The service is substandard and needs to be corrected or they will go under. Our friends and us no long frequent this establishment so sad! Try the Bull Ridge or Barley Brown's for great food and staff and just stay at the Best Western.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I made a reservation almost 2 and 1/2 months in advance and received a confirmation shortly thereafter. About a month later I needed to alter the stay by one day, not cancel just remove one day. The girl on the phone seemed confused but I reviewed the changes several times. Then when the day came for me to stay, I called to confirm check in time and to my shock, NO RESERVATION!!! This was completely 100% their mistake for misunderstanding. They were able to find a room available but it was at a rate $40 more than originally quoted! (Which I had proof of this rate with the comfirmation). We arrived at the hotel and requested that we be given the rate originally quoted as this was THEIR mistake not ours. The lady at the front desk was extremely unwilling to help or make good on their mistake. She made absolutely no effort to try and correct their error and help us and could have cared less. I have never received such horrible customer service!!! I have traveled all over within the US and outside and never experienced such disregard for the customer. This was clear example of total incompetence and lack of experience. DO NOT even waste your time with these people!

Stayed June 2013
Burns, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

For our anniversary my husband & I were considering staying here. I was in Baker City so thought I would pop in and take a quick look around as I had not seen it in person. Walked in and was looking at the stained glass ceiling. A staff member came over and told me if I wanted to eat the cafe was open but the section where I was standing was closed. It was roped off to the side and I was not past that. I explained that I was just looking and considering a future stay. She told me, very tartly that there were tours the next 2 days. I said I wouldn't be in town. We never left the main hallway but she promptly came back with a "closed section" sign and put it almost in our face. I will not ever stay or eat there!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is weird and unsettling to reserve a room at the Geiser Grand and have the full amount show up on your credit card (not a deposit) before you arrive. Then when you arrive, you are insecure that you aren't getting charged all over again ... plus the parking is behind the hotel in a muddy lot that is not well-lit. BUT. The room. This is my second stay at GG. The rooms are wonderful. They are continuously upgrading and my room this time was way better than last time (but it cost a lot more too). High ceilings, quality bedding, lovely furnishings. Pay the money and get the mountain view. It just feels nice to be in a historic spacious and grand room, and the entire building is lovely. For $139 there was no free coffee, no free breakfast. The front desk people were not helpful. The on site restaurant is "ok" but better options are right outside the door. The Geiser Grand costs about double what any other adequate hotel room does in Baker City. If you know that and choose to stay at the Geiser Grand, you are doing it for the experience and to support the kind of work that went in to the loving remodel. Knowing the limitations of the place, and not expecting it to be something else, you will find it a unique experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with a mountain view on the west side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here on business for one night. One of my colleagues hadn't slept the night before so I asked the desk if it would be possible, if a room was available, to allow him to check in earlier than 4:00pm. The person at the desk asked the person working next to her, who was clearly in charge. Without ever making eye contact with me, she said "check-in is at 4:00!" then walked away. The woman I was dealing with was nice and clearly unhappy with her colleague but could do nothing for us. I went off to work a very long day and when I came back at 9:00pm to check-in, was greeted by a guy at the desk who types with two fingers. It took 15 minutes to get checked in, which limited us to trying to get to the only place in town still open for dinner - a pizza place - or to grabbing something in the hotel bar. They offered salad, soup or a sandwich. I asked for soup and a piece of bread. The bartender said no bread, it would mean turning the oven back on. I said no need to do that... I just would like a piece of bread. He said, "As I said, we have salad, soup and sandwiches." I asked if he makes the sandwiches. "Yes". Then may I have a piece of bread from the loaf. "So you want a SLICE OF BREAD?" Uh, yes. Really, how hard is this? He looked at me like I was speaking Russian. The waitress at lunch was friendly and efficient. The room was nice and large and clean. The first floor windows could use a cleaning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Geiser Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!