“One of my favorites” 5 of 5 stars

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 attraction reviews
“One of my favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've been able to enjoy this museum twice now. I stumbled upon it a few years ago on a cross country trip and made it a point to make a return visit earlier this month. It's a worthwhile stop for anyone who appreciates aviation and/or the space program. Lots of good Russian stuff (planes, space memorabilia, etc) from Gen Stafford's Russian counterparts during his NASA days. Just a wonderful museum and one of my favorites while travelling in the middle of the country.

Visited August 2013

Oklahoma City
10 attraction reviews
“Oklahoma's Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I flew into Weatherford to see the museum. My pilot friend across the street told me that he had worked on a V2 engine there, and I wanted to see it. Approaching the airport from the air, I saw nothing special, but I wanted to see what was there. When I went in, I saw an open area with aerospace exhibits and a bank of computers with active educational programs. I enjoyed it and got ready to leave, only to realize that I hadn't even seen the actual museum! I paid my $7 and went in. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. There was room after room of absolutely top quality exhibits. It was like the Smithsonian Air Space Museum brought to Oklahoma--only on a smaller scale. There were numerous active hands-on computer simulations that I didn't have the time to try. I guess this museum has been publicized, but I never knew how really excellent it is. I plan to fly my nephew in some time so that he can see it. I think it is probably Oklahoma's best kept tourism secret.

Visited August 2013
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

It is a little over an hour’s drive from Oklahoma City but well worth the drive! I went with my 21 year old daughter and even though she is not a geek like Dad she really enjoyed it. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, no offence Weatherford, but that makes for an uncrowded visit to a treasure trove of space memorabilia and hardware. There are some great interactive displays as well as lots of genuine spacecraft and aircraft on display. It is right off Interstate 40 so if you are going by, STOP! You will not regret it.

Visited May 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
36 attraction reviews
“Much more than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stopped off for what we thought would be a short visit to the Stafford Air and Space Museum. It just didn't look like much sitting there next to this tiny airport. There were a couple of sad looking displays out front of the building but we decided to check it out since we had driven out there to see it. I would have had to kick myself if I hadn't after touring this museum. We ended up spending several hours there looking at some amazing displays. There was a lot of information on General Stafford detailing his accomplishments and great contributions to space exploration. There we displays of aircraft, spacecraft, rockets and much, much more. This is a must stop if you are anywhere close to Weatherford, OK.

Visited July 2013
“Excellent museum in the middle of nowhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We saw this museum in an Oklahoma magazine and decided we had to visit. My family and I are pretty big space enthusiasts and have seen some pretty awesome museums. The staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy working there. It seems a bit small when you drive up, but believe me, it's not. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to get through it all, but we would have stayed longer if we weren't so hungry. The museum is very detailed and gives you a complete history on Tom Stafford's career, an overview of the space race, and the history of flight. One display I especially liked had small models of all the rockets ever built and some information about them.

One thing I didn't like is that the layout can be confusing at times. I think it would be useful if they had arrows on the ground telling you where to go! This is a very minor complaint though, and does not keep me from dropping my rating. This museum is perfect if you are passing through or want to take a day trip from OKC.

Visited June 2013