“Renaissance vs Marriott Southern Hills” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Tulsa
tulsa
“Renaissance vs Marriott Southern Hills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you are a marriott platinum member, you generally get treated better at marriott southern hills. Ive stayed at the renaissance quite a bit and upon check in today, i get put in a lower floor as far away from the elevator as you can get where the internet reception is not the best. Believe the renaissance is more secure and in a better part of town, but cant figure out why they are so inconsistent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I reserved a king room directly on this hotel's website...not a third party. When we arrived we were told they didn't have any kings left. The lady at the desk said the online site is only a request and you need a guaranteed king. However, she couldn't tell us how to get a guaranteed king. Overal it is a nice hotel, I just wish they would deliver what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had to be in Tulsa for business in November 2012 and was very happy with my selection of the Renaissance. My room was very clean and the staff could not have been nicer. Because I was new in town I asked the front desk staff on numerous occassions for advice on travel in the area along with what was the best take out. They were able to accomodate my request to have a refrigerator and microwave put in my room. I was very happy with my experience and traveling alone felt very safe at this location. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nicki B, social media director at Renaissance Tulsa Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Renaissance Tulsa Hotel! We are happy that we were able to make you feel comfortable, safe and welcome. We look forward to you being our guest again.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My family and I make a trip to Tulsa every Thanksgiving weekend because my brothers compete in the BMX Grands Championship. We have stayed at the Renaissance in OKC and expected this one to be even better..... HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!

- First of all we had booked two ADJOINING rooms because we had 4 young boys that we didn't want going back and forth out in the hallway disturbing the other guest. We had confirmed that we had ADJOINING rooms 2 times with the hotel before we arrived... and we arrived to rooms that were not even close to each other. They didn't even have any adjoining rooms available. They did put us in rooms closer to each other but the clerk at the desk acted as if we were putting him out
- Next, they charged my father-in-law's card 2 times for the incidentals on his room.... and when questioned about it the clerk at the desk said " Well its not going to go through... theres nothing else I can do for you" in a very rude manner
- When we arrived to our room there was no microwave, no refrigerator, and the internet for the room was $12.95 per day! That is crazy for a supposed "4 star" hotel like this
- I had to instruct the housekeeper how exactly to clean my room, because she didnt think to leave more than 2 towels or any coffee or coffee cups
- And this may just be nit picky... but since this hotel was so horrible I couldnt help but notice that the double occupancy rooms had two uncomfortable double beds... when we had stayed in a lower grade hotel the night before that had two comfortable queen size beds in it.
***Overall we will NOT stay at this hotel again... and we will be letting everybody that we know that comes down for the BMX Grands annually not to stay in this hotel either. Very nice looking hotel... but I care more about customer service, and this hotel was horrible in regards to that.

Room Tip: The higher the better so you are not close to the noisy bar on Friday nights if you actually want to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice hotel, no real complaints. Located close to many restaurants and shops (Target, Kohls,etc). Huge gold fish in a make shift stream, kids loved it. Rooms are nice, no noise complaints. Could have used a bigger TV, but that's nit picking I guess.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Anderson, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I attended a function at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised to find they had a courtesy shuttle from the Tulsa Airport even though the hotel is quite some distance from there -- about a 15-20 minute ride depending on traffic. I really did not want to rent a car but thought I probably would have no choice. The shuttle drive was very friendly and helpful with luggage.

If you are up for a short walk -- 5 minutes to 15 minutes -- there are a lot of good choices for eating. I ate at Bonefish -- the most distant -- but there also were other nice restaurants like Carrabba's, Texas Roadhouse, Abuelos, Cheddars and a place the shuttle said was good called Fish Daddy nearby. There were multiple fast food options in the area, too, like Panera, Wendy's and Subway.

I did eat at the hotel restaurant twice and found both the food and the service not what I would have hoped for in a 4-star hotel -- not bad but nothing special. I also was disappointed at the meager offerings in the Concierge Lounge. I went there upon arrival around 7:15 pm and found very little by way of quantity and what was there was over cooked and dried out. I returned about 9 pm after going out for dinner to grab a cookie or pastry and a bottle of water and found nothing at all to eat even though the room was open until 10 pm.

The hotel is quite attractive inside with a nine-story open atrium, and conversation areas amidst ponds and landscaping. The room was adequate but not exceptional. I did have to go to another floor both nights I was there to get ice. I am not sure if the machine on my floor was out of order or just empty, but I tried at different hours both days with no luck.

There was a meal served in conjunction with the event I attended in the adjacent convention area. It was surprisingly good, especially considering they were feeding upwards of a 1,000 people in the ballroom.

All in all, the price was quite reasonable compare to other lower rated options. Even though the experience was not really 4-star I probably would opt to stay there again based on value relative to other options.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the Convention Center side of the hotel, especially on lower floors. My room on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nicki B, Social Media Director at Renaissance Tulsa Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. It was comments from our guests that prompted us to offer the shuttle service. We are glad that you found the service itself, along with the van driver service to your liking.

We have forwarded your comments to our specific departments regarding the concierge lounge offerings, ice machines, and restaurant service. Again, thank you for your feedback, as that is the best indicator of how we are doing!

We look forward to hosting you here again in Tulsa.
Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. I liked the beds and the rooms in general. We used the Starbucks in the lobby every morning and that was very nice. I like free coffee better, but this was a nice service. The restaurant is overpriced, so we didn't eat there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete the review. We look forward to welcoming you again to Tulsa and the Renaissance Tulsa Hotel! We like the Starbucks as well!

Been to Renaissance Tulsa Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!