“very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Tulsa
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

I booked a hospitality suite for my nieces bridal shower. I worked with Nikki, the event planner. She was very professional and helpful. She arranged for extra banquet chairs to be in the room on check-in which was very helpful. We were allowed to check in early (2pm) which was nice as it gave us time to set up. I was very disappointed with the cleanliness of the room, especially for the price of $269.00 per night. This was a special occasion after all. In the living area of the suite there was a large red stain on the carpet directly in front of the sofa, there was another dark stain that ran the length of the room from the kitchen area to the front door. This stain looked like maybe someone carried something leaking out. Water spots were in the stainless steel sink and the granite in the kitchen area had water spots. The glass top table in the living area was dirty with finger prints and when I picked up the plant in the middle of the table to clean it, popcorn was underneath. The wall paper in the bathroom had black marks (shoe marks ?) on the walls in front of the toliet. The sheers on the balcony had black grease stains I assume must have come from the curtain being caught in the door several times. I called down stairs to complain. The manager of course agreed with me that there wasn't time to correct these problems before the guests arrived, but could not come up with any ideas for compensating me for these problems except that I, of course, would not be held responsible for the condition of the room on MY checkout!

After the guests left I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening. I had received, before arriving, a special request email offering different amenities. I had requested access to club level for the evening hor's d'ouevres and complimentary breakfast. (this was a $30.00 charge) After my arrival I learned that the club level did not serve hor's d'ouevres on Saturday evenings. I ordered room service instead. Very polite waiter, food was adequate, but not worth the price.

I turned in early to enjoy the fantastic bedding only a Marriott can offer. I wish I could say I slept. This hotel is very noisy. Rooms facing the lobby have an echoing effect sending guest noise bouncing all around. Also, the traffic noise of any room facing west (the highway) is unbelievable! At 12 midnight someone knocked on my door several times. At 1:00 a.m. the party started in the room around the corner from me. Unfortunately my balcony and theirs connected. The young guests in this room were hanging over the balcony shouting and yelling yee haw. The beer cans lined the balcony ledge. At 2:ooam I spoke to John at the desk and he said he would have the problem taken care of. It was 3:oo a.m. before it was quiet again. After a horrible nights rest I attempted to enter the club level for breakfast. My key was not carded for club level. At this point I packed up and left. The only good point here is that my bill did not reflect the charge of $30.00 for the amenities I had requested. I can only assume the confirmation email I received never reached the hotel.

I don't think I will be staying again. There are much nicer hotels in Tulsa.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

The Renaissance is a nice, clean hotel with decent service and nice amenities.

I checked in for a two-night stay on a Saturday and was given a room on the club (9th) floor. I had several colleagues traveling with me who were staying on other floors and I didn't see much of a difference between my room and theirs. Long story short, if you can get the upgrade, take it...otherwise, don't bother.

I had a room right across from the elevator which, personally, I prefer over having to walk down long hallways to get to and from the hotel lobby. Other than the occasional "ding" of an arriving car, I didn't hear any noise at all from the elevator bank.

I had several issues on my first evening with the wireless Internet access. When the signal to the guest rooms faded in and out, I was redirected to the wireless server for the public areas where I was asked to pay for additional access. A quick call to the support line (1-800 number) solved the problem. The front desk was unable to assist. Apparently this is a new system for which they have not received adequate training on troubleshooting, etc.

The beds are extremely comfortable with a combination of firm and plush pillows. The room was clean and had beautiful granite accents throughout the bathroom and bedroom areas.

I did notice that the room lacked a trash can by the work desk as the sole trash can was located in the bathroom. Only a slight inconvenience, but I thought I'd mention it regardless.

I asked for a late checkout and was given a 3:00PM checkout for an additional day rate of about $80. That left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but that's only because I'm in the hotel business and it was clear that the hotel was not full.

I tried room service for a quick continental breakfast on my last morning and everything was fresh and arrived on time.

All in all, I would absolutely stay at this hotel again. From what I saw in the area, this was definitely the nicest hotel around.

Happy travels!

• Liked — Comfortable bed, great fitness center.
  • Disliked — Front desk service was a bit abrupt and somewhat unhelpful at times.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bixby, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

The Renaissance is a very nice, attractive modern hotel located in Tulsa's busiest "big-box store" shopping district. Rooms are conservatively decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The indoor pool is quite large and has an outdoor patio where you can lounge in the sun. My wife and I have been there more than once for a weekend getaway from the kids and have not been disappointed by any aspect of the facilities or service. The last time we were there they were hosting a beautiful wedding in the large open atrium lobby.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

We spent two nights at the Renaissance in Tulsa. The hotel is clean and the rooms are nice. The bathroom is large and I liked the raised vanity. However, the second night we were there was very noisy. The noise from the lobby area came right up into our room - it sounded like we were in the pool area. Lots of people talking as well as children yelling and screaming. This lasted until about 2am. We were on the second floor so maybe if we would have had a higher room the sound would not have been so loud.
We will probably not stay here again because for the price we didn't feel it was worth it. We can find just as nice or nicer and more spacious rooms at other hotels in Tulsa for half the price and with breakfast included.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

I booked this hotel because of the great ratings on tripadvisor and was not disappointed. I got a great rate through the hotel website.

This hotel was very well appointed and everyone on staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable with down comforters. The bathroom was decorated with wood finishing and stone walls in the shower.

The restaurant was very elegant and all of the food was delicious. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel.

We got a discount on dinner and a free breakfast with our tickets to the Tulsa Opera, so if you are going to an event at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center be sure to check your tickets for any offers at this hotel.

I am looking forward to my next trip to Tulsa, so I can enjoy this fine hotel again.

• Liked — rooms, atrium, restaurant
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

I travel roughly 100 nights a year and typically stay in renaissance and Marriott hotels. I found the Tulsa renaissance to be nicely appointed. I had a suite room on the club floor and that had either granite or faux granite counter tops that looked very nice. The bed was clean and made well and I had no noise in my bedroom which is nice. I hate hearing the next person’s tv etc. Although I could see how in a room which has the bedroom directly off of the main atrium that things could get loud. I heard guests all the way down in the lobby late at night from my 9th floor sitting room who were being rather loud.

Parking can be a bit of a problem if there is a convention, but I’m not sure what you can expect, this happens at every hotel that holds events. If it bothers you that much then you should just valet, its only 10 dollars a night.

I ordered room service two nights and it was nothing special but not that bad either. The room service guys were very polite and curtious. The club lounge is about par for lounges. They did have some grilled zucchini for appetizers one night which I enjoyed.

Also the gym treadmills are excellent here, probably the best ones I have ever seen in a Marriott hotel!

Overall very good experience. It was much nicer than the Tulsa Marriott which is in need of a renovation. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

This hotel is very expensive relative to other properties in town. I found the rooms to be fine and modern with good bedding and amenities. I'm not sure if the price is worth the difference however, if you are a fan of great service from employees, this is the place. The front door staff is friendly, the roomservice is very quick, housekeeping is nice, and the front desk staff is superb. Some noise comes from the atrium at night, but usually not too much. If you want to pay for service, this is the place.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Tulsa Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!