“Perfect for a Quiet Evening” 4 of 5 stars

The Campbell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2636 East 11th Street, Tulsa, OK 74104   |
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Tulsa
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Perfect for a Quiet Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I booked a room at the Campbell for our wedding night as it was close to where we were holding the wedding and being TU grads we had driven past it often. I was a little concerned when the manager called me back after our reservations had been set to tell me a class reunion was being held the same weekend. We still had our room, but it was right above the ballroom where the reunion was to be held. I told her we would go ahead and keep the reservation and just hope for the best. I am so glad we did!

We stayed in the Route 66 suite and it was absolutely lovely. The room was spotless and had such fun furniture. Our bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and double shower heads in the large shower. The bed was super comfortable and we didn't hear anything from the other guests. I am a light sleeper so this was no small feat.

Check-in was an easy process. They even let us check in a little later than usual and said it was no problem. We really enjoyed wandering around the hotel and exploring all of the conference rooms and sitting areas. It is set up in a shopping strip like area and very different from anywhere we had ever stayed before. The elevator made the hotel very handicap friendly and the staff was so accommodating. The Campbell also offers a continental breakfast in the mornings which we were able to enjoy. The selection was large, although if you are picky or a health nut you might do better to grab breakfast elsewhere. But we really enjoyed it!

There is a spa and a bar all located within the hotel and it is within easy driving distance of the University of Tulsa as well as Cherry Street, Downtown, and Brookside. We felt like the location was a great choice for our evening. The hotel offers specials for TU alumni and current students and other special offers throughout the year. We found that while it was a little more expensive than other hotels could be it was well worth the expense. Wouldn't have changed a thing about our experience.

Room Tip: Check the website and see which room will be most fitting to your taste. Every one is different and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review. It is very much appreciated. I'm so glad you enjoyed your special night, and that we are a part of your memories. I hope you will return again and again. Thanks again for letting everyone know about our little hotel. Barbara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The owners of the Campbell have done a great job of remodeling an older hotel into a well-designed functional hotel. The bones of the old 1927 businessmen’s hotel remain and as a result the rooms and baths are generally small and the location is noteworthy only for its close proximity to the University of Tulsa. That being said, the owners have done very well within these confines. The rooms, though small, are nicely and uniquely decorated and equipped with a flat screen, microwave, fridge and Keurig coffee maker. I stayed in room 202 which was the Restless Ribbon room - a standard queen room. The bed itself was very comfortable but they had those overfilled fiberfill pillows that seem like they are fighting with you all night. The facility was clean and well maintained. Parking is easy, ample and free.

If I had to put a label on the Campbell I would call it an upscale budget hotel (I would label Westin's Aloft concept the same way). It provides a comfortable well designed accommodation at a very attractive price. There is no on-site restaurant however there is a light packaged breakfast provided and snacks are available throughout the day. I stayed here while visiting my son at the University of Tulsa and the TU rate they provided was an extraordinary value.

This is very much a family run hotel. The owners’ collection of Model A Fords is kept at the hotel. I needed a shuttle ride to the airport at 5:15 a.m. and my driver was the owner of the hotel. The rest of the staff is friendly but a little unpolished when compared to a more luxury hotels. This did not bother me some will find it problematic.

Bottom line is that I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review for us. We do appreciate it. You'll have to come back and stay again when your visiting your son, and check out a different room, of course with a different theme. We have other pillows available too. Just say the word. Hope to see you again real soon. Thanks again. Barbara
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in the couture room and enjoyed it very much The bed was nice and comfy and the decor was wonderful! I LOVED the shoes painted onto the wood floor. I very much enjoyed the room, but the raised bathroom floor did take a bit of getting used to.

We attended a wedding in the building, so the location was perfect. But it is a bit out of the way, depending on why you are in Tulsa. It is relatively close to the fairgrounds, TU and downtown.

The breakfast WAS a bit sparse, but that isn't a big part of my stay. I had coffee, an apple and a yogurt and that was fine by me.

The hallway noise was a bit much for my taste, but that goes with the territory of being a small retro hotel.

All in all, I really enjoyed our stay. I would recommend it to several of my friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank your very much for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed the decor. The step up bath floor is original to the hotel built in 1927, as is the tub. They are great soaker tubs. Of course, we had to add several bathrooms because people no longer share such things, so many of the rooms have whirpool tubs and no step up, so when you come back, and I really hope you do, maybe you can try a different theme with a whirlpool. We are on the national register of historic places, and they insist we keep the floors as they are so we can't do a whole lot about that, but I am trying to come up with some kind of solution. And we are currently building a restaurant in the west end of the building, so we can expand on that breakfast and have room service. Maybe you can check us out then. It would be great to have you back. And congratulations to the happy couple. Thanks again. Barbara
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was in Tulsa on Business and stayed at The Campbell Hotel due to it's convenient location to the University. Room was very comfortable, clean, good amenities. Very "homey" atmosphere.
I travel a lot and have stayed in a lot of hotels.... But I have never experienced the level of service the owner and staff provided me. They really went above and beyond the call of duty. On my arrival in Tulsa at about 8pm my car dashboard indicated a low pressure in one of my tires... by moring the tire was flat as a pancake. I had to leave early and had a full day of work scheduled; and then had to leave that night to drive to my next destination (5 hours away). I asked them before I left if there was any way they could have someone come in and fix the flat while I was at work that day... To make a long story short when I showed up at 6pm after a long day the flat was fixed and my key was waiting for me at the front desk... and to my complete amazement, they didn't charge me anything for their time or for the repair. I was told the owner took care of it.
Based on my experience I would say you can't go wrong staying at this hotel. Good room, good room rate, and living proof that there are still nice people left out there for us poor smucks who have to travel for a living.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Glad you enjoyed the stay. Rotten luck to have had the flat tire. We were happy to fix the tire, and try to make your day better. Thanks for the nice review, and I hope you come back soon. Happy traveling. Barbara
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went to Tulsa for our Anniversary and again stayed at the Campbell Hotel. We love finding and supporting quaint proprietorships like this hotel rather than staying at a big chain hotel. This time, we stayed in the Bama Suite. We slept like babies in the huge, comfy king sized bed. The suite was immaculate. I was looking forward to using the fireplaces in this suite & was disappointed they are only decorative. But the quality of the furniture and decor in the room is absolutely beautiful. There are two large flat screen TVs in the suite, so our son was able to play video games on one TV while we were able to watch the shows we liked on the other without disturbing each other. The gorgeous wood floors throughout the facility are a bit noisy when people walk up and down the halls, but that is just part of the ambiance of staying in a vintage hotel. The hotel is just a short distance away from all the restaurants & fun shops on 15th/Cherry street. On check-in, I received a coupon for the hotel spa, Spa Max. The young lady at the front desk took care of scheduling an appointment for me and I was actually able to have a pedicure on a Sunday afternoon! The nail tech was friendly & experienced. We have told several friends about this place and will definitely stay at the Campbell Hotel again.

Room Tip: You can view photos of each room/suite on their website so you'll know what the room you're...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you were comfy, and enjoyed the stay. That's what it's all about for us. And it was a return trip. That's great. One of our very favorite designers is responsible for that beautiful room, and it was themed, of course, on the Marshall family, founders and still owners of Bama Pie, right across the street from the hotel. She had a fantastic local artist paint those faux fireplaces, and they do look real. We do have one room that has a flame (not really) glass fireplace that is very relaxing and romantic. The Sky Suite. When you come back, you might try that one. It also has a sky light. And let us know when you're coming back, so we can appreciate you. Thanks again. Travel Safe. Barbara
Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

The proprietors have restored this hotel with attention to detail and it's a unique place. Staying there is a nice way to reward them for that. High marks for cleanliness and creativity. But several things detract so I would disagree with the multitude of "excellent" ratings others have given: the remote location, cramped common areas (itty bar), and tiny bathroom. Breakfast is fat filled stuff wrapped in plastic. No weekend newspapers. Staff pleasant but don't win you over. Worth it if you get a good rate but other hotels in town are far more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Wow, I feel so misunderstood. The remote location is in midtown Tulsa, on ROUTE 66, the itty bar is a cozy lounge for the hotel guests. We only have 26 rooms, used to be 36 in 1927 but we made them bigger, each with their own bathroom, as they didn't used to do that back in the day. They aren't huge but they are awesome. And comfy. Our free continental breakfast is not junk food. We do as much as we can without the restaurant being opened yet. There's oatmeal, cereal. milk, juice, yogurt parfaits, bananas, apples, oranges, special K bars, coffee, water, muffins and some rolls and donuts. We are on the national and state register of historical places. We are not a chain hotel. We offer friendly, comfortable service. A search of our records does not show a person with this name staying at the hotel as of this date. But we would love to have everyone come check us out. Thanks. Barbara
In the pinky of the mitten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I booked a room for his mother over the Thanksgiving holiday. We looked at pictures of the various rooms and found one we both thought fit her character. Tastefull, stoic, and calm I was a little apprehensive because my mother in law is a bit picky. But, we wouldn't know until long after the visit. Well, the review is in and The Campbell was perfect! Everything about this hotel made a favorable impression with my darling mother in law. In fact we couldn't convince her to stay at our home very long one evening because she was looking forward to a soak in her big tub (with bubbles!) and then watching a basketball game. I never knew she was a fan of either. I think she truly enjoyed her first visit to Tulsa and The Campbell Hotel was a big part of that experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Barbara C, Owner at The Campbell Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We're happy you decided to make our little hotel your mother in law's home away from home this Thanksgiving. And that everything went well. And we will be here when she wants to come back and visit. There are lots of different themes/decors to try out. We will try to pamper her in any of them. Thanks for the lovely review, and we hope to see mom soon. Barbara

Been to The Campbell Hotel? Share your experiences!