“Modern hotel (unfortunately) in a historic building” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #17 of 99 Hotels in Tulsa
Overland Park, Kansas
“Modern hotel (unfortunately) in a historic building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had a fine stay this past weekend. I love downtown Tulsa with all of it's Art Deco, so I was excited to stay in the Atlas Life Building. The facade and the lobby retain their early-1900's charm, but from the moment you arrive in the Courtyard lobby on the 2nd floor, you are in a modern hotel. Our room was very stylish and up to date (and comfortable) but, other than the old time photos, you'd never know you were in a historic property. For many, that'd be a good thing, but for me, it was a disappointment.

I have stayed at the Mayo a few times and the Ambassador. My favorite was the Ambassador and now my least favorite is the Courtyard, but that's not saying much because it is still a very fine hotel - I just wish the hotel itself had retained more of the historic feel. The one, very major advantage that the Courtyard has is the price. Staying here is a fraction of the price of the other two historic hotels. The second advantage is that this hotel is more central than the other two. Bottom line, if you need to be in downtown Tulsa, this is a fine place to stay (especially if you don't have a car).

A few notes, most of which others have also commented on:
- I lived in Tulsa for about 15 years, but left the area about 10 years ago. I was amazed by how much was going on downtown on the weekend. The area was packed. This was a VERY pleasant surprise.
- Unfortunately, that ruined my expectations on parking. I assumed I could find an unused meter right in front of the hotel, and since I remembered that meters were only active during work hours M-F, it would be a much better bargain than the valet parking. The manual meters have been replaced by electronic ones, but I think it told me I didn't need to pay (I didn't and didn't get a ticket or towed), but it was hard to find an empty spot. I had to drive around the block a few times and then had to park around the corner for more of a walk than I'd expected.
- I had hoped to eat breakfast in the Atlas Grill, but the Grill opened late enough on Sunday that we missed the opportunity. We ate in the hotel "restaurant" which was pricey, but not bad. My son raved about the bacon, while my wife grimaced at the price...
- The elevators are secured - you need to use your room key to travel above the 2nd floor. Unfortunately, the west most elevator's key reader never worked for me (I often had to change elevators at the 2nd floor just to get to my room), the east most elevator mostly worked, and the center elevator always worked.

Bottom line - I recommend this hotel, but have right expectations about what you're getting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Hillsboro, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas 2012. Most of downtown Tulsa was shutdown for the holidays so parking was easy. This hotel was very nice. We were surprised at checkin by the presentation of a gift basket (a gift from a relative; not the hotel). Our room was large with room to spread out a little bit. Our view was, unfortunately, of the building next to us. The room was very clean and well taken care of every day while we went out. The staff were all friendly and helpful, even on Christmas. Their restaurant was lightly staffed (given the holiday) so the food selection was limited but we were still grateful for breakfast every day.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a better view? :-)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is really a cool place. I was lucky to arrive a couple of days early, so I got to see and learn a bit of the city's history.There are several sites to visit in the downtown area.The Gilcrease Museum was a really good place to visit and there is a restaurant with good food as well.Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame was cool too.So book a room a the Courtyard and visit Tulsa ,you'll be happy that you did.

• Stayed March 2013
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Tucked into one of the nicer buildings in downtown Tulsa. This art deco jewel really surprised me! The ground level floor has a beautiful old town look shopping area. The hotel lobby is on the second floor in a low key pleasant setting. The staff are great and quick to help make your stay nice. The rooms are nice size and comfortable, elegantly modern.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I recently spent three nights at the Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Tulsa and found the property to be fine in many ways, though it did have a few notable shortcomings.

The property is located in the historic Atlas Insurance building, which dates to 1922. The building itself, including the ground floor lobby, has the look of the Roaring ‘20s and is quite charming, particularly for those who appreciate architecture and/or history.

The hotel itself has been recently redone in a contemporary style. The lobby, which is on the second floor, is small but up to date with a modest reception area, a pantry where guests can buy snacks, a restaurant and lounge, a sitting area, and computer workstations.

Guest rooms feature high ceilings; new, up-to-date furnishings in a contemporary style; and most of the amenities today’s travelers expect including in-room coffee, flat-screen TV, hairdryer, and iron and ironing board.

Each room also has a workstation with complimentary access to the fastest Internet connection I’ve encountered in a hotel so far. According to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest, the upload speed for the wired Internet connection was almost 65 Kbps and the wireless was faster than 10 Kbps. The wired connection is more than double the speed of the 25 Kbps connection in my home office.

Service is quite good for a hotel at this price point. Most everyone was efficient and friendly and made me feel like a valued customer. I’m not sure I can identify the point where “valued customer” ends and “special guest” begins, but no matter; the Courtyard is not, nor does it purport to be, a Four- or Five-Diamond property.

It’s also convenient to several restaurants and bars, including the New Atlas Grill on the ground floor lobby (which has better and more reasonably priced breakfasts than the hotel restaurant), a Daily Grill two blocks away, and several restaurants in the Blue Dome district about five blocks away.

There were some drawbacks worth mentioning.

Guest rooms do not have in-room safes, which meant schlepping the laptop everywhere I went instead of locking it safely away.

The bathroom did not offer a bathtub. It only offered a shower, which may not be a major issue depending on your habits and what you’re seeking in a hotel. Considering that the majority of my “bathing” experiences don’t involve a bath tub at all, a stand-alone shower was fine. Other guests may want the option of a long, hot soak, so a tub would be necessary.

Most notably, however, the bathroom at the Courtyard had the thinnest towels I’ve used in a long time. It took two towels for me to get completely dry after every shower.

Valet parking is available but – and I’m sure this is rare – the attendants lost the keys to our rental vehicle. Not once, but twice. Street parking is available near the hotel, though there is a two-hour limit between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

For a hotel convenient to downtown Tulsa and easy on the wallet or expense account, the Courtyard Downtown gets a thumbs-up from me.

Just park your own car and ask for extra towels.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't next to the elevator bank. Higher floors have the better views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ExpressGM74012, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to inform other travelers about our hotel. We see guest feedback our best means of improving out service for all future guests.
I have met with my laundry chemical company as well as my Executive Housekeeper. We are replacing the thinning towels & ensure our new towels are not over bleached so they last longer.
We have schedule meeting with our valet staff to ensure our Key Safety procedures are followed & systems are in place to reduce the chance of miss placing guest’s keys.
Thank you again for the feedback, we will work to ensure future guests are not impacted by the same inconsistencies you faced.
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Unique hotel, with all the character and charm of an Art Deco building (it's the old Atlas Life Insurance bldg.) and the updated conveniences that we want in a modern hotel. As well as an interesting, comfortable place to stay, the staff was wonderful. One of our group fell on the sidewalk in downtown Tulsa, obviously badly injured, possible broken wrist, and were quickly cared for by the front desk--wrist securely wrapped with bandage from the staff first aid kit, and help finding nearest medical center. They certainly helped make a bad situation bearable. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I chose this hotel in downtown Tulsa for the location & history. The building is from the 1920's & housed the Atlas Life Insurance Company. The hotel is located from the 2nd floor to the 12th with a deli, shops & cafe on the first floor. They have done a great job keeping some of the original details of the building. The second floor is where the hotel lobby, small gym, market & cafe/bar are located. Our room was a standard king located on the 6th floor with a view of the building next door. The only rooms with views are on the corners of the hotel. The hotel feels safe & you only have access to your floor with a swipe of the room key in the elevator. The room was clean, nicely decorated & also had a desk, wardrobe, mini bar/frig. Our room was very quiet on the weekend but became noisy on Monday mornings street garbage pickup. The hotel is close to the Brady Arts District & the Blue Dome District which has great restaurants & bars. On Friday & Saturdays there's a free Trolley to take you there with a stop near the hotel. We walked back to the hotel one evening from the Blue Dome district. I definitely recommend eating at the Atlas cafe on the first floor & Mod's cafe just down the street. The hotel has valet for $15 a day or there is a garage down the street for $8 a day. On the weekends you can park free right on the street which is not a problem. My only disappointment with the hotel was the staff at the lobby desk. None of the people we came in contact with there were friendly. I perceived them to be rushed & disinterested in their guests. We also asked for a room on a high floor & were given the 6th. The hotel was not busy. The rest of the staff in the hotel were pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tulsa Downtown? Share your experiences!