“Anniversary stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 105 Hotels in Tulsa
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Anniversary stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I to try out the Mayo for our anniversary (FEB 13). We live 30 minutes away in Broken Arrow. I had received a really good deal to stay there. Our room was nice and set up lovely with a little "kitchen area" (counter space, coffee machine, fridge, microwave, sink) There was a big flat screen TV on the wall for us to use, however there was just basic cable. I just think when it is a four star hotel there should be extra "oomph". The jets on the shower had scale, towels were rough, bed was short. (my hubby is only 5' 9" and his toes hung off bed although his head was at top of bed) and the bathroom was a sliding one,which was hard to use.
The staff were respectful but there was nothing extraordinary there. I am glad I didn't have bad things happen as I had read in other reviews, but we were just not impressed. They has the reservation under my first name as my last, which was corrected the next day when we checked out either. We would be willing to try to stay there again, maybe next time we need to upgrade to a suite or something. I also understand our stay could have been improved if we had chosen a different date. Due to it, the penthouse bar was closed for a private event and we didn't try any restaurants because we were so close to home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with us here at The Mayo. We understand that it is a very special day for the two of you and we appreciate you two allowing us to host you on such an occasion. I am glad that you enjoyed the room and its set-up. All of our rooms feature a refrigerator, microwave and bar sink. Our cable package actually features 57 television stations including HBO and high-definition broadcasts of all of the major networks. Our beds are all standard-size and are no different than the beds found in most other hotels. The towels in the room are made of bamboo fiber which has many antibacterial qualities and is able to withstand three times its weight in water.

I apologize for the mix-up with the reservation. I am happy to hear that our staff was respectful and that the issue was resolved quickly. Our Penthouse does close occasionally for private events, however, I invite future guest to ask our front desk about the penthouse availability when first booking the room and we will be able to inform you what is going on in the hotel and around Tulsa during the time of your stay. We would love it if you two decide to return for another visit! I would definitely recommend upgrading to a Mayo or Executive Suite during your next stay. Our suites are incomparable to any other hotel accommodation in Tulsa. I am confident that after staying in one, you will leave happy!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I decided to treat my wife and son to a night away from home and until late January I've never heard of the Mayo Hotel. I am very impressed with the full kitchen as well as the size of the televisions in the room. I decided on the Mayo Suite and it was a pure awesome experience that my wife and son enjoyed. The staff was extremely nice at all times no matter how difficult of a request we had made. we requested bedding for the pull out bed and the lady who brought them up even made the bed for us. Now that's a service that you don't get at other places and i was impressed! The view on the roof was awesome even though it was cold up there i was able to snap some wonderful pictures.

The Cons: They had little bitty trash cans. I cooked and i really had no where to put the trash afterwards. There is a dishwasher but no dish-washing liquid so that made it pointless in my opinion because i don't want to purchase any if i'm only there for one night( i guess i could of called the front desk for it?).

Room Tip: Go for the Suites!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Mayo Suites. Our staff takes pride in the fact that we try and meet any request that our guests may have no matter how difficult it may be. Although I may be a little biased, I don’t think there is any other hotel room in Oklahoma that can match what our Mayo Suite offers especially when traveling as a family.

I also appreciate your suggestions for improving your stay the next time you choose a Mayo Suite. Dish washing detergent is available by request at the front desk but we will consider making it available in all of our suites that feature full kitchens. I also think that you make a great point in regards to the kitchen trash cans. We will consider upgrading to large kitchen trash cans as we move forward in 2013.

Thank you so much for your kind words and the suggestions for making the guest experience even better the next time you visit The Mayo Hotel.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stay here for two nights on a cross country trip. The hotel itself has been meticulous restored. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. However the views from our second story room were blocked by the roof protruding from the first floor, I would the next time ask for a higher floor. The lobby here is beautiful, and the bar and restaurant provided a very nice dining experience. Overall I give this place a big thumbs up.

• Stayed February 2013
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I would like to thank both you and your wife for spending time with us during your trip. The restoration of the hotel was completed at the end of 2009. The restoration was a very meticulous process and the owners of the hotel did everything they could to resurrect the building back to the original splendor of the 1920s.

I would like to make you aware that we are more than happy to put in a request for a higher floor so please do not hesitate to ask the next time you visit. We are not always able to guarantee this type of request but we do try and fulfill any special requests that our guests may have.

Our restaurant, Trula, is a great place to grab a bite to eat no matter whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The Penthouse Bar (Open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Night) is a perfect spot to get a drink and enjoy a sunset with friends. There is truly no other bar in Tulsa quite like it.

We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your cross-country trip and thanks again for making The Mayo Hotel a part of it.
Ithaca, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I found out about the festivities at the Mayo from a close friend just as I arrived into town for the holiday from up-state New York. Never having stayed there I was somewhat skeptical as to how the experience would go for my girlfriend and I, but the deal offered was too good to pass up. Two tickets to the party ($75 each) plus a room in this magnificent hotel for just over $200! Steal!! And the deal was only part of what made the experience special. The room was extremely comfortable. The bed. Oh man the bed. So comfy. The room had everything. And nice versions of everything. The staff and management crew were so kind and helpful in making it all work out for us. we had a truly special evening and took some great memories away with us. Thanks to everyone at the Mayo for making the night memorable!! I recommend this place to anyone looking for a high quality stay with a fantastic working staff to help you enjoy yourself along the way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you (and your friend) for choosing to spend your New Year’s Eve here at The Mayo Hotel. It is great to hear that our New Year’s Eve celebration exceeded your expectations for the evening. I am thrilled that our staff was able to assist you in making this a memorable night for the two of you.

Thanks again for spending the evening with us at The Mayo and starting the year off right. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to Tulsa!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Mayo after their New Years Eve party. Being from Tulsa, I was a little hesitant to pay for a hotel room when I could stay at home for free; however, it turned out to be well worth the money. The room was exquisite. Clean, spacious, full of amentities, and most of all- unbelieveably comfortable. Probably the best night's sleep I've had in a while! I highly recommend a stay at the Mayo, whether you're visiting Tulsa from out of town, or just needing a nice staycation away from home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for attending New Year’s at The Mayo. This was the first year that The Mayo did our own event for New Year’s Eve and thanks to people like you it turned out to be everything we expected and more. We had a great turnout of both travelers and locals who came to join us for the festivities.

I am happy to hear that your room lived up to your expectations. We take a great deal of pride in our hotel rooms and do our best to provide guests with all of the comforts that they would find at home.

It is always great to have locals come and enjoy the hotel no matter the occasion. I am incline to agree with you that a night at The Mayo Hotel is the most ideal “staycation” found anywhere in Northeastern Oklahoma. Thank you again for choosing The Mayo, we hope to see you again soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We got the King Suite and that is the best night of sleep I have had in my whole life, the bed is beyond anything I have ever slept on and I have traveled a fair amount. It is an historic hotel with a great charm to it, the staff is the only somewhat downfall. The manager and the valet were great but the desk clerk had an attitude. Overall the stay and the room especially was worth the attitude and we will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to thank you for choosing the historic Mayo Hotel for your hotel accommodation needs when traveling to Tulsa.

You are one of many past guests who have left the hotel raving about our wonderful beds and bed linens. In our opinion, the beds and bedding are the most quintessential aspect of any hotel room and through feedback like yours we are confident that future guests will also recognize this luxury at The Mayo.

I was disheartened to hear about your experience with the front desk agent. No matter the position in the hotel, it is our goal as a staff to be warm and welcoming to all of our guests. I apologize that this was not achieved during your interactions at the front desk. I invite you to contact me personally to discuss your visit in more detail and specifically your interaction with the front desk.

I would like to again thank you for your kind words and for choosing The Mayo Hotel. We hope to see you back in the near future!
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Mayo while visiting family in Tulsa for the holidays, and it's a beautiful property. However, while the lobby, bar and our room are lovely, we were there for 3 nights, and after the first night we decided it wasn't overly comfortable and we'd likely stay elsewhere next trip.

Part of the issue was, it was really cold outside, and the property is old, so the room just never got warm. And, whenever the heat kicked on, it was really loud and startled us. They also have hardwood floors for part of the room, which is visually appealing but lacks a sense of coziness.
Then, just the usual stuff that annoys me at hotels-only one bathrobe in the closet, not enough hangers, etc. On the positive, the valet is efficient, they gave us extra bottled waters everyday (a rarity in hotels) and we received friendly service from everyone we encountered.

Overall, the Mayo is very pretty, and had we only stayed one night, during warmer months, it likely would've been great. I can recommend the for an experience as it's more interesting than a typical hotel chain, but for overall comfort we'll stick with the chains for our longer family visits.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us. We always love to hear from our guests about how much they enjoyed the architecture and the unique qualities of The Mayo which set us apart from other hotels.

While we do have smaller suites with a Butler’s kitchen which includes a small sink, mini-fridge, and microwave. We also offer larger suites that are set-up for guests that are staying for more than a night or two. These include both our Mayo and Premium Suites which are equipped with full kitchens in addition to a separate living room area. If guests do wish to use the kitchen they can contact the front desk and we will be happy to provide a “Kitchen-In-A-Box” which includes all of the necessary utensils you will need to prepare a homemade meal.

The Mayo Suite and Premium Suite provide our guests with all of the comforts of home and are perfect for any sort of extended stay. Please contact our sales department to find out more information regarding special rates available for extended stays.

Even though we are a historic property, the issue that you experienced in regards to the temperature in your room is not the typical guest experience. During the restoration of the hotel, each and every room was equipped with its own heat and air unit and its own individual water heater. If possible I ask that you contact me directly, as I would like to get more information about the room you stayed-in so that we can have our engineers look into rectifying the issue.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Thank you for choosing The Mayo Hotel when traveling to Tulsa. We hope that you do decide to stay with us again the next time you’re in town.