“Understaffed and uncaring” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 101 Hotels in Tulsa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Understaffed and uncaring”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Never before have I been so disappointed in a Crowne Plaza hotel as I was with this one. I would give it a one star but that would be unfair as it did have a couple of decent things going for it. The building itself is nice enough a tad bit outdated and the rooms are clean. The hotel bathrooms are small but adequate. Upon arrival there was nobody to at the front desk to check me in. After a few minutes a woman sauntered over to start the process. Fairly simple process and we had our room. Everything is good so far. The next morning I had a business meeting to attend so I go to take a shower only to find out we had no running water. The sink didn't work the toilets didn't flush and the shower didn't work. I was livid at first but thought hey this stuff happens on occasion. So I go down to talk to the front desk thinking maybe it's just our room. No in fact it was the entire hotel. Talking to the front desk he casually and unapologetically tells me they won't have water from 8am till 5pm due to "planned boiler maintenance". This would have been great to know when we checked in as it was completely unacceptable and I would have cancelled my reservation without a second thought. Who does that!!! I don't understand how they thought this was ok. I was forced to go my business meeting looking and feeling like a mess. I then tried to go to the Starbucks counter not once, not twice but three separate times before we finally flagged someone down who could give us a cup of coffee. Thay poor girl was underpaid and overworked being the only person in the restaurant, at the coffee stand, and the only one to take room service orders. None of this is what I've come to expect from the crowne Plaza hotel chain. I typically enjoy my stay and experience at every one of their locations but I will never stay at this one again and will reconsider staying at others in the future. I highly recommend those who are looking at this hotel to consider alternative options.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
GuestSupport, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Ethan L,

Thank you for writing to us about your recent stay with us.I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us with the hotel and the level of service you received. I am also sorry to hear you had challenge in the room with water. I will be sure to share your guest experience with our team so we can try to address the above mentioned issues and improve ourselves in the future.

Thank you again .
Albert Bashir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015

I'm actually staying here right now. It is an older hotel. The service is very friendly although seem to be bothered if things don't work out. I'm on my forth room and it is the worst one. The others were actually cleaner but the manager down stairs has already moved me to the top floor and given me the golden ticket for breakfast so how could I complain right?! This hotel room is only cleaned at eye level. You can tell by the attached pictures. The linen is filthy and I'm not sure what I'm going to use to sleep with. I hate having to guess if they're stains or ???. my advice if your used to staying at the Motel 6 this place might be luxury but if you know what else is around here for the money go there. Where you know what your going to sleep on ;)

• Stayed January 2015
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Aliwilder119,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly during your stay. However, we're sorry that the level of cleanliness of our room did not meet your expectations.

Rest assured that we strive to deliver the best possible stay to our guests. We hope to have the chance of hosting you again in our hotel in the future.

Ivy A.
Concord, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

Overall experience was good...but, the hotel could use a little attention to detail. The room was large and comfortable but the thermostat did not seem to affect the temperature in the room. There was a large wood cabinet designed to hold a refrigerator, but no refrigerator. The beverage vending machine in my hallway did not work...all little things, but they add up.

Staff was great and the food was very good.

Got a great price through priceline, so the value was good!

I would return if I could duplicate the price.

Room Tip: up high, away from elevators
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2015

The hotel is located across the street from Oklahoma Surgical Hospital and Oral Roberts University. We spent the night there before my husband's surgery early the next morning so very convenient. The room was very large with plenty of room for everything. The bathroom had a nice sized vanity with room for all our toiletries. The heater was fairly loud so it made it hard to go to sleep. The room was clean and had nice furnishings. There is a restaurant (no free breakfast) and a "Starbucks" type coffee kiosk in the lobby.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Salina, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2015

First, let me say this: I have stayed in crappy hotels to nice hotels and I am always fair in how I review each one. This hotel was booked at a good price on a third party website, with an even added bonus for booking during Thanksgiving weekend, so I was almost half expecting "so-so" service. It was my two friends and I traveling and we arrived on a Friday evening. There was plenty of parking and the hotel was in a good location (lots of restaurants nearby plus Walmart next door!). The front desk staff was attentive and friendly during our stay, as we encountered them four times, including asking for suggestions on places to eat and drink in downtown Tulsa. So A+ to the front desk staff!

The room was clean and well kept, with plenty of space for three grown women. While the overall stay in the room was okay, there were enough issues that forced me to rate this 3 instead of 4 or 5. The major problems occurred in the bathroom. Saturday morning when we took showers, the drain was PAINFULLY slow and I showered quickly in ankle-deep water. The second problem kept me from showering before we left on Sunday as my friend said there was black stuff in the tub when she woke up that morning to shower. I don't know how it happened, but to me it looks like something backed up into the tub while we were sleeping (which was real brief that night/morning). To me, that's something that doesn't surprise me thanks to the slow drain, but it incredibly gross. If we had been staying another night, I would have said something. So hopefully someone who runs the hotel sees my review and can fix it. If you are a manager, it was room 622! Anyhow...the other problems were the walls were very thin and I could hear a lot through them. I like to not hear much from other people when I'm in a hotel room.

Other than those issues, I liked the hotel and would definitely try it again. My overall experience was good, but those other issues is what kept my rating down.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask the front desk for anything!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
GuestSupport, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Dear Jessica C!!

Thank you for your recent stay with us. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to provide thorough review. I am glad that over all you liked our hotel and will give us another opportunity to serve you. On the other hand we re very sorry bath tub drain fell below your expectations and room's thin walls was not your liking..

Your comments are very important as it helps us constantly improve our standards for service quality.We will take into considerations your review to take corrective actions in the area that you mentioned.We would definitely like for you to come back and give us another try.

At your services!!
Albert Bashir
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2015 via mobile

Everything looked great coming in. Very clean, very nice people. Unfortunately, we heard everything from our neighbors all night. Upstairs and next door. Talking, slamming doors, turning on the faucet even. If it weren't for this, we would have come back.

• Stayed January 2015
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills, responded to this review, January 27, 2015
Dear Casey P,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased you liked our hotel location, cleanliness and service commendable. On the other hand, it is regrettable that noise disturbances experienced was a let down. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience these aspects have caused. We have forwarded your concerns to the hotel management and will be a basis for future upgrade.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you will consider us again and see the improvements made.

Dianne L.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2015

Poor customer service, staff is unfriendly and they act like they don't care if you're there or not. This hotel was awesome when Megan and Lindsey were at the front desk and it has gone from great to awful.

Dear DTS_bnsf,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at our Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills, OK. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay most especially with the mishaps in the service received from our staff.

I have taken note of your valuable feedback, this will be forwarded to management to consider for improvements.

Dianne L.
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Tulsa Southern Hills? Share your experiences!