“Your taking your chances with this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Tulsa South

You added Motel 6 Tulsa South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Tulsa South
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12525 East 52nd St South, Tulsa, OK 74146 (Formerly La Quinta Inn Tulsa South)   |
Ranked #61 of 100 Hotels in Tulsa
Arlington, TX
“Your taking your chances with this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

I called the day before my stay to confirm my reservation. The phone rang several times with no answer. It rang so many times the phone system finally hung up for me. I called back in hopes of reaching an actual person but was finally answered after several more rings. After some confusion my reservation was finally found and confirmed.

The next day we showed up to check in and discovered our reservation had been cancelled the day before. I thought that was going to be a real problem since we were traveling on a holiday weekend but the front desk clerk managed to get us into a room after just a few minutes.

When we got to the room, the first comment from the kids was bad the room smelled. It smelled like an old, musty room that hadn’t been opened for several months. I could excuse that since I’ve stayed in several places that had much worse smells but it was very unpleasant for them. The first night in the room, when everyone was getting ready to go to sleep, an announcement was made that the toilet wouldn’t flush even though it had been working fine up until that point. I immediately went in to see if I could easily fix the problem (since hotel maintenance departments tend to take their time getting to guest rooms) and found the arm inside the tank had snapped in two and there was no way to reattach it. I rigged the tank so we could still flush the toilet since we only had to tolerate the room for one night.

The next morning when everyone went to take showers and get ready to leave, we discovered the shower curtain had what looked like black mold on the top near the shower rings. It wasn’t just a little spot here and there…it was pretty heavily covered. The floor of the bathtub also looked like someone had squirted a very strong cleanser on it. There were streaks all over the base of the tub that were permanently etched in the floor. I was just thankful it wasn’t a word that was inappropriate for kids that was etched in the floor of the tub.

All in all the stay was uneventful, but only because we spent as little time in the room as possible. The staff was nice and the lobby was clean, but the room we got left a lot to be desired.

I will avoid this place at all costs the next time I’m in Tulsa.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Western North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

I'm in my room at the La Quinta South as I write. It's interesting how people can have such different experiences of the same place. I cannot be happier. I am in town to see my mother who is very ill, and did not make hotel arrangements before I arrived knowing that there are many hotels in the area. Driving down the expressway, I saw a billboard advertising a $49 rate for this hotel and decided to give it a try. My actual rate is $51 a night for one person in a room with two double beds.

The room is a nice size and really quite attractive with off-white stuccoed walls, crown moldings, a desk with two chairs and attractive prints and lighting fixtures. It's bright, pleasant, looks recently painted and the tile in the bathroom looks pretty new as well. There is a small closet with double doors in the bedroom and a full length mirror on the wall in addition to the large mirror in the sink area. I like the fact that your clothes aren't hanging in plain sight. There is also a real stand-up ironing board and iron in the closet.

The room is clean, clean clean!! Even the corners of the bedroom, bath and sink area are thoroughly clean - no built-up grime anywhere. The shower has great water pressure and is easy to adjust. There is a black-out curtain on the window (which opens) as well as sheers and draperies. The lighting is great -bright enough to work or read by and all the lamps work (something you can't count on with inexpensive accomodations) and isn't harsh at all. The beds are not fabulous, but much better than many slabs of concrete in other hotels that pass for beds. The pillows are not great, but I brought my own because I've learned to expect that. The internet connects easily and works fine.

The hotel is right up against the highway and I expected a noise problem, but as soon as you close the door quiet reigns. The only disappointment was that there was no fridge or microwave in my room - pretty standard for most budget hotels in my experience.

But the thing that I am most pleased about (besides price and cleanliness) is the wonderful service - I'm really amazed. Ten minutes after I went to my room the phone rang. It was the front desk asking if everything was satisfactory!! I told her that I was very pleased and mentioned how clean the room was, but then added that I was surprised not to find a fridge (I like doggy bags). The woman at the front desk told me that they only had fridges and microwaves in their suites, but she would leave a note for maintenance to bring me one if it was available. I thanked her, but didn't expect anything. Lo and behold - next morning they brought me a fridge. Can you see why I'm impressed?

I think this La Quinta in particular is having to overcome it's somewhat difficult to find location and proximity to the expressway, and they are really making an effort. This is far and away the best budget hotel experience I've ever had.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Customer Service, Price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sedona, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2006

Traveling through Oklahoma, we stopped at a rest area and got a coupon book. This La Quinta Inn was offering rooms for $49, and having found another La Quinta in our travels to be decent, we decided to take the plunge and stop here for the night.

Finding the motel is no easy task, as it is hidden behind another motel and a restaurant which lie opposite the off-ramp. We'll let you enjoy the vision quest for the front entrance; consider it part of the experience that is about to unfold.

The harried desk clerk was the only one on duty and was clueless about how the wi-fi worked. Understaffing seems to be a La Quinta trademark but we ultimately got into our room with little trouble.

On the plus side, the room was reasonably spacious, with a king bed, a desk/table and a lounge chair. The sink and vanity were located in a little alcove separate from the toilet and shower. The TV got a limited number of channels but the selection was OK for one night.

The big problem was the filth and grime that we found everywhere. This was the sort of thing that builds up over time, that comes from not even pretending to clean . There was a condom wrapper on one side of the bed and a fair array of garbage under the lounge chair. There were yellow stains on the toilet, the handle of the hair dryer and the back of the door were covered with black fingerprints, the ice bucket was encrusted with crud and no liner was supplied for it, nor did the desk clerk have any. This was the sort of place where we pulled back the covers of the bed with apprehension, wondering if the linens had actually been changed.

The continental breakfast featured a lot of things wrapped in cellophane and loaded with trans fats but was acceptable enough.

Recommended for those with a coupon who don't care about filth. We would have hated to pay the rack rate for this joint; this La Quinta is an example of where poor housekeeping deters repeat customers. Had it been reasonably clean, we would have considered it again when next in the area.

• Liked — Comfortable room layout
  • Disliked — Filthy, bottom-of-the-barrel housekeeping
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a coupon book at the rest area. Why pay more for grime than you have to?
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Tulsa South? Share your experiences!