“One of the worst experiences I've had at a hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Ponca City
Wichita, Kansas
“One of the worst experiences I've had at a hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I traveled with my two young children, my teenaged niece and elderly mother and rented two rooms from your hotel for one night. Upon arriving at the hotel, the lobby was filled with smoke from the two bars at the facility and was so noisy even your clerk commented on being glad to be leaving for the evening. Upon checking into our rooms, one was bearable but was not what I would describe as decent or clean. The other was disgusting. The odor was unbearable. The bedside table had a sticky substance on it. There were several bugs in the room, fruit flies on the unclean beside table, a spider that had to be killed, and beetle type bugs. The chair had dark stains in it and the carpet was filthy and sticky. We were told there had been a man renting the room for three months prior to our arrival and that they had apparently not fully cleaned it. The clerk did refund us for the unclean room, came down to inspect it and bring us a roll away bed so we could all cram into the other room. The roll away however had bugs crawling on it so we had to have it taken away. The clerk adjusted a small percentage off our bill and upon checkout the next day another nominal amount was taken off. I don't however think it was fair compensation for the uncleanly state the room was in when we were given it or for the trouble we had to go through that evening. I would definitely not recommend staying here to anyone. Had we not arrived after 1030pm, we would have found alternate accommodations for the night, it was that bad of a hotel and a stay I want to forget!

In addition to the state of the rooms, the motel seemed to be filled primarily with single male patrons, many of whom were standing in the walkways, around the pool or outside their doorways and made it a very non-family friendly environment. When I had to go to back to my vehicle to get additional luggage there was one patron passed out with his car running and door open parked next to mine.

Room Tip: Worst hotel rooms I've ever experienced as far as cleanliness.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
QualityInnPoncaCity, General Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We are so sorry for this unfortunate ending to a long tiring day. Our rooms are checked and sprayed on a regular schedule to insure problem free stays for our guests. Our doors do open to the outside. If a door is left open for an extended time, the rooms are susceptible to intrusion from insects.
We do have some long term guests staying with us. They have been very polite and considerate. Their company is very cooperative in insuring good behavior. There are
occasional guests that we have no control over though.
We do apologize for the smoky smell in the lobby. The restaurant is smoke free, but the lounge does allow smoking. There is an outside entrance to the lounge which is supposed to be used keeping the smoke out of the lobby. Sometimes the inside door is used causing the smoky smell. Again please accept our apologies. We hope you will visit with us again to see this trip was not the norm.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed with family for the holiday weekend.
The positive: Comfortable beds, quiet nights, nice flat screen TV and channel selection, microwave and mini fridge worked great. Check in early is a plus for out of state travelers. The breakfast room was clean and well stocked Saturday and Sunday. There were plenty of healthy choices, as well as variety of breakfast foods. The housekeeping staff was very nice and helpful. Thumbs up to Kristi at front desk and Jamie, the pool guy. The pool and pool area were kept very clean and pool towels were always available. It was nice to see a handicap lift for the pool. Check out was fast and again Kristi was nice and friendly.

The negative: Upon entering room the urine smell from the bathroom was overwhelming. Called housekeeping and bathroom was cleaned and shower curtain replaced. The carpet was very dirty, dusty, and under the bed...ugh!. The mirrors were dirty. Overall smell of room was musty, smoky even though it was a non smoking room. The comforter had cigarette burns. The stairs could use resurfacing. The cement was slippery due to the rain, which is understandable, however I would've liked to see warning signs as precaution.
Breakfast room on Monday was a disaster! At about 7am, no healthy choices and the yogurt was not on ice! There were no spoons or employees in sight. We decided to check under the counter for spoons and here comes Stella: very grumpy, mean and unkind. She must've been having a bad morning because we felt she took it out on us!

Overall, quiet, decent place to sleep and swim. Bring your own Febreeze!

Room Tip: Room facing the pool are quiet. Don't worry about the plant workers. They are respectful, friend...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
QualityInnPoncaCity, Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Than you very much for your positive comments. We are very proud of our breakfasts and the amenities provided in the rooms. We are especially proud of our pool and the new pool lift. The goal of our staff is that your visit to be a very pleasant experience. Thank you for your appreciation of their efforts.
We are in the process of replacing our bedding and linens. We have been full to capacity so are adding to our housekeeping staff and housekeeping supplies. The room is a non-smoking room, but might have been smoked in. It is one that is constantly rented. We are daily making improvements and rennovatons to our facility. We have noted your other comments and will add them to our list.
Looking forward to being able to serve you again on a return trip.
Augusta, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We rented 2 rooms and both bathrooms had a severe black mold issue around the bathtub, hair on the floor and really dirty room. 1 for my family and add'l room for our guests. Booked into rooms to find loud partying from hotel guests, front desk employee moved us to new rooms, which were extremely dirty. Severe black mold in both bathroom (and was also in the rooms we vacated) someone hair on the bathroom floor. Next morning complained to from desk manager and was advised never had any complaints before. Was told they never have had Health inspector or any other inspector at premises. We then went into the breakfast area to greeted by extremely rude employee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are very sorry this stay with us was not a pleasant experience. Our goal is that every guest will be pleased. The guest clerk had advised me of your issues, and that she had moved you to quieter rooms. She also adjusted about 30% off your room rate. She was unable to refund the amount to you at the time of your departure because of a time issue on your part. However, the refund was adjusted off your credit card.
We are constantly upgrading and rennovating our facilities. We appreciate your calling our attention to your other issue. We are taking care of that. In the event you misunderstood our front desk clerk, we do have regular visits from Choice and the health department.
Since you have stayed with us in the past, we are hoping you will visit us again.

Travelers are raving about these Ponca City hotels

Lexington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Got a decent rate online and my room was nice and comfy. Bathroom and TV worked well and the bed was great. I was able to park right in front of my room, but the parking lot in my area was not that big, so not sure if everyone could. It also seemed a bit exposed to the road.

The weather was a bit overcast and cold, which made walking to the lobby from my room a bit uncomfortable. Also kept me from exploring area near hotel, but it seems there are some places to eat around it. I ate in the restaurant connected to the hotel and it was fine.

There wasn't much to eat at breakfast, but there was coffee I could take away, which was good. The person at check in was helpful and friendly.

Overall, the gloomy weather made the place look not so good from the outside, but inside things went well and I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
QualityInnPoncaCity, Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed a good night's rest while staying with us. The flat screen tvs seem to be very much appreciated by our guests. Our staff strives to make your stay with us a very pleasant one. We are sorry the weather was not the best. There are many things to see in Ponca City and many fine restaurants. We have a state of the ark swimming pool. We hope you will be able to enjoy it on your next visit. Looking forward to serving you again.
Dublin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a great hotel if you need a place to stay for the night with your pets. Behind the parking lot there is a very large area for the dogs to sniff out and stretch their legs.

This was our second stay in the past 5 years. The rooms are certainly showing some wear. When we were there the majority of the rooms were filled by oil and gas workers that were in the area on a job. At first we were concerned they would be a rowdy group however they were very quiet. In fact, they took the extra stepof backing in their trucks to the parking spots so when they left in early morning their reverse warning alarm did not go off.

You get what you pay for. Nothing fancy. The one complaint/concern I had was when I dropped my laptop on the bed a big cloud of dust came out of the comforter. I thought I was seeing things but dropped it again to see what would happen and again a big poof of dust! So big it settled in a little pile on top of the comforter. I would strongly suggest if you have allergies to not stay at this hotel. I would hate to know the last time the bedding was cleaned.

The front office staff was helpful in providing directions. The hotel is right on a main street so everything you need is close.

Room Tip: If you have pets, I suggest requesting a room near the back parking lot. The large grass area will b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We know how important pets are to their owners. We are happy to be able to allow your pet to come with you on your trip. We appreciate your comments. The staff is making every effort to make your next stay even better. Looking forward to having the opportunity of serving you again.
Ponca City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel is exactly what I expected, The beds and the bathrooms were clean , everything was perfect , the breakfast room has excellent food with a variety of choices.

I am ready to return any time!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We are very pleased that your stay was perfect. We want your day to start off pleasantly so are very happy you appreciated our breakfast and the variety of choices we offer. Our staff strives to present our guests with clean rooms and a good night's rest. We are looking forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your return trip.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Revisited after year and half and was overwhelmingly impressed with the progress they did since my last visit. Rooms were clean with amenities, walkway, front desk areas were very clean and pleasant. Hotel stuff were very professional and showed interest about my stay. Very happy, looking forward to visit next time hopefully in summer so I have better chance to enjoy the weather.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
QualityInnPoncaCity, Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting us again. We are continually upgrading and updating our facilities. It is pleasing to know our efforts are appreciated. Our guests are very specail to our staff, and we strive to make each stay a very pleasant one. We are looking forward to serving you again this summer. Assuredly the weather will be more enjoyable.

Been to Quality Hotel? Share your experiences!