“Consider if you don't need to stay downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Oklahoma City

You added Howard Johnson Oklahoma City to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Oklahoma City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South Meridian Avenue, I-40 at Exit 145 (Meridian), Oklahoma City, OK 73108   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Austin, Texas
“Consider if you don't need to stay downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights a few weekends ago. Booked room via HoJo website for $46/night. Hotel seems to be an equal short distance between the airport and downtown OKC. I was expecting to have to wait an hour before the 3pm check-in time but was given a room early. All of the staff was helpful and pleasant! I stayed on the first floor facing the street. Little bit of noise Friday and Saturday nights with a club across the street, motorcycles starting up, and busy street nearby, but nothing that kept me up at night. If you want to stay facing the inside of the hotel there's about a $10 per night difference. Overall the hotel is pretty quiet.

Property is on the older side but in my opinion they do a great job of keeping the "big things" maintained i.e. clean room, working tv, etc.
The good: shower, microwave, fridge, sliding glass door/balcony (when it's not freezing as during my stay), hot breakfast with waffles between 6am - 9am, and staff. Especially helpful were Damon with his hand drawn directions to a closer running route closer than Lake Hefner and Arlene with securing a late check-out.
The not as good: scratchy towels (though plentiful), soap, shampoo without conditioner, older model tv, Walmart closest place to buy groceries (went to a Crest Food grocery store about 2 miles north on Meridian).

I had quite a bit of free time which explains all my hotel pic taking. As you can tell it's not a 4-star Hilton stay, but I'm also not paying 3 times as much so my expectations were lower. This HoJo in OKC met my expectations. I may have saved another $10 a night if I really shopped around, but found this place to be of value. Overall if you're looking for a no frills, clean place to stay with a great staff and conveniently located off highway near airport and downtown this is the place for you. If I ever need to return to OKC under similar circumstances I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
i0503, Owner at Howard Johnson Oklahoma City, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Thank you for your open and honest review. I will make sure to let our front desk staff know about your remarks, positive feedback from guests is always an encouragement! I am always looking to make improvements so I do appreciate what you have written down. We hope that you can visit us soon, the weather has been amazing (except for a few hail storms!) so you should be able to enjoy your time balcony much better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Stayed here three nights. My only complaint was that the halls were cold - and the room was cold when we first got there - and it took a while to warm up. Otherwise - this is a great hotel to stay at on a budget. This is no-frills, but for $53 a night, I didn't expect any. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it had a fridge in the room. I would stay here again if visiting OKC.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. Feel free to give us a call if you need anything or have any questions. With the warm weather I can guarentee the halls and rooms won't be too cold! Thank you again for taking the time to post a kind word about our property. We hope to see you soon.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

The Good: The room was relatively clean, the beds were fine and the breakfast was excellent for the price (free).

The Bad: No wi-fi. They actually suggested we try to leach off the Days Inn next door while they wait for a repairman. Wi-fi is a must when you are traveling. Also, there is not elevator to the 2nd floor so be prepared to hike your stuff up stairs.

Not bad if you need to stay cheap.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving a review of our propety, we appreciate your honesty because it gives us an opportunity to improve. I am sorry that you had problems with our wireless internet, it is very rare (maybe once a year) for our internet to go out. We actually have been replacing some routers to increase signal strength. Come by if you need to stay in the area again, we would love to change your opinion from "average" to "awesome"!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

First of all, the front desk clerk was awesome. He knew exactly where we were coming from (we had driven 16 hours that day) and all we wanted was a good place to eat and a good brewsky. He sent us right across the parking lot to Louie's Bar and Grill. Food there was spectacular, plus it was karaoke night, so we got some laughs in. (We're vegetarians, and they had plenty of options.) Great balcony to enjoy the brisk oklahoma night and great beds, fridge with micro i think in all rooms. Cannot complain one bit.

We were driving from Cincinnati, OH to Pheonix, AZ and it was a great stop in between.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write about our property. We appreciate your review and are glad that we were able to earn your business. I have spent a lot of time working with out front desk staff and coaching them, it's very good to hear that they were such a help to you. I will make sure to thank them for their excellent effort. If your group has any other events in OKC we would love to have you back, just give us a call and we'll get it all set up for you!
Ok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

My husband and I just returned home from our trip in OKC. There were 16 of us in our group, 4 adults and 12 teenagers. The hotel staff was really friendly on the phone and helped me with the booking processes, they were really accomadating. They have a pool outside which was really nice for the teenagers to enjoy, in the morning the serve a breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, hasbrowns ,biscuits and gravy, cold cerel hot cereal, milk, folgers coffee, and juice. The rooms are quite large, I did book queen beds but they were kind of on the small size. The room was fresh smelling and the air conditioners worked well. Its not a five star hotel but if your on a budget this hotel is great!

• Stayed June 2009
In the USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Everything in the room worked and was well-kept. The room faced the opposite side to the interstate so there was no traffic noise, except there was a bar opposite my room and a few bikers seemed to hang out there.

I was woken a few times when a bike was started, however I am a light sleeper. I'd recommend trying a room facing into the inner courtyard - ask for a room facing the pool. It'll be quieter. There was free wifi, a fridge, microwave (if you're into using them).

For one night while I was passing through it was perfect and I'd stay there again for $55.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SF Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

This is the place on Meridian, off I-40 (not the one on 39th), which also calls itself an Express Inn. We had 3 rooms for several days.

This place has seen better days. There was a patchwork of recent fixes, but it's far from renovated. For example, the walls looked freshly painted (but not the ceiling), but they painted over the holes without patching them.

The worst was that our room smelled of mold. The smell was covered up by cleaning supplies once a day but always came back. I suspect it was the ancient carpet, in that humid environment.

We had an outside room, and there are only black-out curtains. So you can either open up and expose all your belongings to anyone in the parking lot, or sit in the dark.

Furnishings were normal hotel-room quality, except for the armchair whose cushions sagged nearly to the floor. Hairdryer, iron, etc. all worked, but the coffee maker wasn't cleaned during our whole stay.

Someone has mentioned the biker bar next door. We heard a few bikes come and leave, but nothing really bad. Slept soundly all night and the bed was comfy.

The bathroom was acceptable. Housekeeping is definitely losing the battle against mold. The tub was amateurishly recaulked recently but you could (and we did, accidentally) pull the entire faucet out of the wall, 2 inches of caulk notwithstanding.

The shower was the typical hotel drizzle. The surface area around the sink was tiny. The floor looked new but there were mildewed gaps in the floorboard.

Breakfast wasn’t so great either. Powdered eggs, links, biscuits and gravy. Standard hotel fare, but I know it can be better. Donuts were typically gone half way through the breakfast period. The staff seemed to have trouble keeping up with the demand surge at each full hour, especially on the weekend.

The guy staffing the desk at night was the nicest of the bunch, the morning manager was surly and the girl in the afternoon largely disinterested. Heck, even the airport shuttle driver complained about the poor management here.

However, we loved the pool. It was obviously kept very clean and the deck chairs were in great condition.

So overall, the place wasn’t bad enough to walk out, but there wasn’t really anything to recommend it either. If you’re passing through and just need a place for the night, this is probably fine. But in that case, you can probably do better than the $70/night along Meridian Ave, which is a long string of hotels.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Moldy smell
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Howard Johnson Oklahoma City? Share your experiences!