“Friendly Staff but Substandard Efficient” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #60 of 145 Hotels in Oklahoma City
New York
“Friendly Staff but Substandard Efficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Let me start with the good stuff. The location is convenient to downtown and Brick Town and a number of sights. The staff is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered (I’ll talk about efficiency in the second section) and the food, both at the restaurant and at catered events, is very good. Once it arrives. More on that later as well. The Fitness Center is one of the best equipped I’ve seen in a hotel.

Now for the dark side. It’s as if someone spent a lot of time training the staff on PR and customer relations, and spent no time on facility management. Perhaps the worst run hotel I’ve visited in a long time. Went to the restaurant/bar (which is the only option after 2 PM) on a Sunday night – not crowded – and waited 20 minutes before anyone approached me. Three days later, a friend and I watched our drinks sit on the bar for 5 minutes, at which point I walked up to get them. Went to the restaurant for breakfast, had the buffet and no one ever asked if I wanted anything else, like an orange juice.

Maid service in the room was spotty. Carpet was not vacuumed for at least three days, and towels, face cloths and bathmats seemed to be beyond the ability of the staff. One day there would be six towels, the next two – one day no facecloths, the next day five. And so on. Music in the Fitness Center was so loud you could not hear music through your own ear plus, one morning I went in and there were three towels left in the rack and the water machine was leaking onto the floor. When I checked in the bedside lamp in the room didn’t work – the room has no bureau or drawers (and no fridge), and the air conditioner, while efficient (perhaps the only thing that is) is so noisy it drowns out the tv. The first day the room was not made up as of 2:30 (so much for the nap) – after a call to the desk, the next day it was done early – but the last day I was there I returned to the room at 3:30 after a LONG day of meetings and found nothing had been done.

The hotel charges for internet, as many do. They provide six free machines in the lobby, but the speed is slow, the connections and programs spotty and only one of the six recognized a thumb drive. (OK, let’s be fair – one of five, one of the six machines never worked the whole week I was in residence.) We had access to the network through the convention – and the link in the meeting room was slow, frequently dropped – and my experience with the net was so bad I did not sign up for their paid service. Which I discovered four days into my stay would have been free if I had signed up for their rewards program – had anyone mentioned it or invited me.

The hotel is fairly nice but starting to decay in places. The pool is very small, the area surrounding the pool is sandy and rough on the feet. Chairs are comfortable but the music is again too loud. Lobby area is comfortable but the furniture is starting to wear. There is valet parking (at more than double the standard parking rate) and bellboy service for your bags – in each case once you track down the person supposed to be providing the service.

One block away from the Sheraton is the Skirvin, a beautifully re-conditioned classic hotel that I highly recommend. I cannot do the same for the Sheraton, a name that used to mean high standards and first-class service. Not the case in Oklahoma City.

Room Tip: Go to the Skirvin about a block away
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Sheraton Oklahoma City Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
RhinoJohn,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. It is through comments and feedback such as yours that enable us to truly make a difference. I’m pleased to hear you found our convenient location and friendly staff to meet your satisfaction, but I sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short in providing you with an exceptional stay. This is definitely not up to our standards as we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Please know that your valuable comments are being addressed with our team and additional steps will be taken to provide a more positive guest experience. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

John Gilbert, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were in town for the Bruno Mars concert and got a room at the Sheraton because of it's great location within walking distance to the Chesapeake Energy Arena. Relative to the other hotels in that location, our room was reasonably priced. The service at this hotel was great. The valet attendants were courteous and made sure the main entrance was organized and kept clear. The front desk was professional and friendly. I also had a nice experience with Guest Services on the phone. Self-parking is located at the public city parking garage next to the hotel. There is an hourly rate to park there and a $10 maximum. The parking garage takes cash and credit cards. Next to the lobby is a well-hidden gift shop which offers souvenirs, toiletries, cold drinks and snacks. It is open 24-hours and you pay at the front desk. We were assigned room 1033. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small compared to similar-sized hotels. WIFI is not free but available for a charge. We could have used a couple of extra towels in the bathroom. If you are looking for a quiet room, this is not the room for you. We could hear the people next door as well as people in the hallway. Overall, my experience at this Sheraton was average. The location was perfect for our needs and the room was adequate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rod M,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Sheraton Oklahoma City. I'm pleased to hear our location was perfect for your travels while attending the Bruno Mars concert, and I'm glad you found our comfortable accommodations and friendly staff to meet your satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the areas we fell short in exceeding your expectations. We hope you'll return for another stay if your travels bring you back to Oklahoma City. Thank you again for writing.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Took my daughter and a friend to the Beyonce concert. The Sheraton was steps away from arena and on the walk over we were able to walk through the convention center. The hotel is steps away from Bricktown and around the corner from a Subway.

Breakfast was extremely awesome and the service was great at the omelet station.

We did order room service and take out from a pizza place

I would stay again

Room Tip: Elevators can be slow if on higher floors during events
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
tracylynn47,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your experience with us at Sheraton Oklahoma City. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while attending the Beyonce concert, and we hope and your daughter had an enjoyable evening. It's great to hear our close proximity to the arena added convenience and you found our hotel well suited for your travels. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thanks again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I will say this is a great location if your going out in Bricktown but, when we arrived to check in and he told me the total I about fell over!! I had agreed to a double room for 199.00 when we get there he says that will be 346.00. Say what??? No way would I have agreed to that! They tried to give me a room that cost that much I asked for the cheapest room possible!! Well no budge we were not happy. Then we get to our very small room with a very small bathroom! Then the cleaning lady just walked in the next morning and woke us up. How does she not know the room was occupied! I will never stay in this hotel again!! I suggest Residence Inn by Bass Pro! Huge rooms way better rate!!

• Stayed August 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Sheraton Oklahoma City Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Belcher17,
Thank you for writing a review. We are sorry for the guest room pricing
discrepancy you encountered upon check-in. We sincerely apologize for
your unhappiness and would certainly never want to leave you with a poor
impression. Please know that your comments are being addressed with our
team and additional steps will be taken to ensure we're doing all we can
to serve our guests. We hope you'll consider staying with us again.

Eufaula, Oklahoma, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on July 26th. We needed something downtown and this was our best choice at last minute. I am not complaining about the room rate, which was moderate, but what I am complaining about is all the extra costs...at every turn. Firstly, parking is $10 a day; breakfast, if you choose to eat, is $15.95; if you drink the small bottle of water in the room, it's $2.00; and Wi-Fi is $9.95. We have stayed at "lesser" type chain hotels, that charge less for rooms and all of the above mentioned things are at no cost. Although this is an older hotel, we were pleased at the cleanliness and fresh smell of our room. The bed was very comfortable and our room (on the 6th floor) was very quiet...other than the slight hum of the elevators (our room was close to them). However, the noise from the elevator didn't keep us awake. I thought we could have used another set of wash clothes and hand towels, as we only had two of each. If you want one of the hotels within walking distance of Bricktown, this would be one of them. This hotel wasn't "terrible", but I doubt we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G,
Thank you for writing a review. It's great to know that you enjoyed our clean accommodations and comfortable beds. I sincerely apologize for your discontent with the additional costs. Your feedback is important to us as we continually strive to improve our guests’ experience. We thank you for your feedback and hope you’ll consider visiting us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Corinth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Located in downtown Oklahoma city (not really walking distance to Brick Town) the sheraton hotel is a clean decent sized hotel that offers a small bar and a restaurant. it does have a pool but it is very very small and not worth packing a swimsuit for. the staff varied from very good to barely acceptable but as a whole was below what i would expect from a Sheraton. The rooms are decent size and clean but other than that nothing special. The beds are below Starwood quality, they are on the firm side and the linens are average. Parking is confusing and a GPS is needed to get back to the lobby from the parking garage. The Oklahoma City Sheraton is an average hotel that your satisfaction with it will probably depend on the rate you pay. Get a great deal and come in with the right expectations and you will leave pleased. Overpay or expect too much and I don't think this hotel can live up to expectations.

Room Tip: level 3 connects the parking garage to the hotel. if you are in and out this will save you time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Sheraton Oklahoma City Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
d50kimo,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay and service you’ve come to expect from us. We will use your comments to improve our property and overall guest experience. We value your business and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Lawton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Everything was outstanding. From check in to check out. Every question was answered and every need satisfied. Lauran Barnes did a wonderful job working with us for our Media Breakfast. We were able to set our table decorations and gifts the night before. Service was great and we had plenty of room and tables. Extra tables and the stage were perfect. With Laurans help on food planning the breakfast choice was perfect.

Room Tip: We didn't use the spa. Just not enough time. The beds are great. No problem falling asleep...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Sheraton Oklahoma City Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
EdHBaker,
We appreciate you taking a moment to share feedback on your stay with us at Sheraton Oklahoma City. I’m pleased to hear that everything was outstanding and you found our service and accommodations well suited for the National Square Dance Convention. I’ll be certain to recognize Lauren with a special commendation for her excellence in service she provided. We appreciate you selecting our hotel and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

John Gilbert, General Manager

Been to Sheraton Oklahoma City Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!