“Spectacular Skirvin” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“Spectacular Skirvin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

I stayed at the Skirvin for the OU vs Miami football game and I was in love with the Skirvin from the moment I drove up. The valet and bell service was exceptional as was the lobby. The dark wood with original marble floors and elevator doors transported you into great hotel experience. The only downside to the hotel was the double beds being too small for 2 adults. Otherwise, the rooms were large, comfortable, clean and well appointed.

• Liked — Wonderful atmosphere and great use of original design
  • Disliked — Double bed too small for 2 adults
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

I had heard that Hilton had taken over this hotel a few years ago and had completed renovation. As a long time Oklahoma resident, I recalled the splendor of the old Skirvin Hotel and was anxious to see the new version. Flew in from Arizona and checked in. What I noticed first was that the outside of the building had not changed, in fact it still remained rather plain as it was in my childhood. Walking into the lobby, I was greeted with an old school opulance with towering ceilings, red velvet drapery and lot's of dark woods. The desk clerks were very personable, not robotic like you might find in one of the many large chain hotels. The bar was comfortable, yet retained an elegant feel.The rooms were large and appointed with the most modern conveniences. Even 2 days after I left, and realized I had left my sports coat behind, the security people were very friendly and efficient and I got my coat back within a few days. Is it worth the rack rate over $300.00?? I don't know..but this is one fine hotel and not to be missed if traveling in OKC.

• Liked — Old school charm
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tulsa, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

The Skirvan is a newly renovated historical hotel in downtown Oklahoma. The renovation is attractive and the rooms are nicely done. Bedding is really comfortable. We were visiting as part of a large group and they did a nice job in catering large dinners. Downside is that there are no safes in the rooms and when we first checked, the staff couldn't find the keys to the safe deposit boxes and then they ran out of boxes.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

I read about the Skirvin and the recent re-opening in February 2007. My daughter had a gymnastic banquet in OKC, so I immediately booked a room at the Skirvin. When we travel, we often stay at the Ritz and love it! The Skirvin was wonderful! The decor was beautiful and so was the service.

We arrived back to our room at 10:30 p.m. and ordered room service. Excellent late night menu choice!!! The dining "The Park Avenue Grill" was wonderful for brunch the next morning. they have gone above and beyond with the menu choice!

My husband enjoyed the promptness of the valet and they were very nice!

Location is wonderful downtown Oklahoma City.

Lots of towels!! Bathrooms are very nice and clean!

• Liked — Decor was fabulous and the Skirvin had character and history!
  • Disliked — We should have stayed in a larger suite
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We chose this hotel after reading reviews on this site, and we liked it overall. Our issues were: (1) we had 2 double beds, which was very cramped for 2 adults, a teen and an 11 year old, since there was no room for a rollaway, and (2) why the heck doesn't the Hilton provide free wifi like everyone else?

There's a very small indoor pool in the basement, with a tiny little hot tub in the corner.

The location was very nice, since we were able to walk to Brick Town for dinner and live outdoor music. There were so many people out and about that we had trouble finding a place to eat - Toby Keith's had a 90 minute wait at 6:00! - but the Spaghetti Warehouse turned out to be fine and a good value. Our kids waited a while at the Marble Slab but it was very pleasant sitting outdoors to eat the ice cream.

There were weddings and receptions taking place - the people were so nice that when we met the mother of one of the brides in the elevator she invited us to the party on the roof...

A full breakfast is included with the room; for a family of 4 this is an excellent value. They actually give you a check (ours was $72!) but you don't have to pay.

Remember to visit the OKC Memorial before you leave.

• Liked — Convenient downtown location, beautiful facility, full breakfast
  • Disliked — No wifi, small room, small indoor pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Pelham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

I stayed at this Hilton for 2 nights during a business trip. The hotel is conveniently located 2 blocks away from the Cox Convention Center. The facade is very nice and has a historic feel. The rooms are also pretty nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My impression is that this was the nicest hotel in the area.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Norman OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

We decided to spend a anniversary getaway weekend at the Skirvin. First off, a beautiful hotel! Most of the renovations have been done very well, some are so-so (like lighting in the piano bar, looks like they just cut holes in the ceiling & stuck the lights in). The staff was very friendly, and the maid service was also good. The self-parking is convenient.

What I didn't like:

$9.95 a day for internet? Ridiculous for a hotel of this caliber.

No tub in the suites. I called the front desk once we got to the room & was told that there are no tubs in any of the suites. Hmmm, not what it says on the Hilton site, and not what I would expect in a high-end suite. The walk-in shower is good sized, but with no heater in the bathroom and the huge gap in the glass, I shivered any time I was not directly under the water. Not enjoyable.

Lots of noise from the hallways. I travel with a white sound machine which still couldn't block all the noise. If you're a light sleeper like me, bring earplugs.

Bar prices are pretty high, we went down to have a pre-dinner cocktail. Almost $20 for a Corona and a glass of house wine, pretty steep for the OKC area.

Overall, we had a nice weekeend, and loved the comfy beds, the tons of pillows, the two TVs. Bricktown is close enough to go enjoy, and exploring the hotel was a lot of fun. Just not exactly what we have come to expect from a high-end suite in a historic hotel. We'll try the Colcord the next time we are in OKC, or go back to the Ambassador in Tulsa.

• Liked — Historic hotel, good staff
  • Disliked — No tub in suite, paying for internet
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City? Share your experiences!