“Run Away! Run Away!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 144 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Run Away! Run Away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The lobby looked decent, but then I got to the room. After 30 minutes the heater STILL was not producing heat, and it had a terrible clanking noise. I asked the front desk for a different room, which was grudgingly provided. When I went inside of it, the bathroom was absolutely filthy, including multiple hairs in the bathtub under a mat that was black with grime. Got refund and went to the Hampton across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HIEOKC-GM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oklahoma City-Penn Sq, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to share your encounter regarding our hotel. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your experience with us and regrettable the room condition you received was less than satisfactory. I have taken note of your comments and will share this with my front desk and housekeeping teams. Your feedback is of great importance to me and allows me to monitor and improve our services.

Samantha Eggleston
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Excellent hotel, convenient and reasonably priced, quiet, close to everything in OKC. Have stayed here many times. Better than Hilton next door. Breakfast is good and the area is kept clean. Very ample parking and right off main roads....

Room Tip: Get backside of hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This property seemed fairly new or newly renovated. It is in close to several restaurants, a mall, and not far from where we and had an event in a gallery district the Paseo. Breakfast was also included, though there is no restaurant on the property. A sports bar at a hotel next door, was where they'd send guests who asked where the lounge was, just a short walk over there.
Even though this isn't a full service hotel it fit our needs as we left there early in the am each day and got back late each evening.

Room Tip: rooms on the back of the hotel are quiet, front faces street and highway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Checotah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on several occasions and have always been very happy with the accomodations. I recently stayed 3 nights and on 2 of those nights had to park in the street. The young man working the front desk said "I can guarantee, well almost guarantee that your car will not be hit; we have customers park in the street all of the time". I was not happy!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I love this hotel. I stay here quite often. This staff is very friendly and the rooms are nice. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Joplin, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I come to OKC frequently and I enjoy my stay here. I have stayed at several other HIX locations but this one is just right. I had one problem several months back with parking but the adjacent hotel was under construction. This area is ideal for staying a long time as I usually am here for a week. Location is near Penn Square mall and other good places.

Has a small business center but they spared no luxury with a color printer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

First, let me say that I am "regular" at HIE hotels -- I find them to be generally very good for all the aspects of lodging that we seek. And as far as the room itself goes, this hotel was no exception -- in fact it was just recently renovated, and it looks sparkling new and clean. Everything in the room and hallways and lobby was prim and perfect.

However, even with all that being said, I would be hard pressed to recommend this one to a fellow traveler, for three reasons:
(1) When I walked up to the desk, they immediately told me that they were oversold for the night, and could not provide our room type per our reservation; they did however give us a handicapped room on the first floor. Such rooms are great for the handicapped, but lack some of the normal nice features in a regular room. And the rubber mat under the bottom sheet made for a hot restless night.
(2) The breakfast room is one of the smallest I have ever seen in a HIE hotel. Only seven tables -- three of which were about the size of a pizza pan. Some people had to stand around and try and eat breakfast, or sit at one of the lobby couches -- although we admittedly came at just the wrong time -- when a sports team was there in full force. It's a real challenge climbing over those gym bags to get to and from the food counter.
(3) Parking was atrocious; we had to park on the street about a half block away. Management will tell you that part of their parking lot is being used by construction stuff for a new hotel next to them. (A competitor uses your parking lot for their construction needs -- geez!) Nevertheless, even with those spots added back, their parking lot still looks rather small and insufficient to me.

So, with all that in mind, I would again say that it's a very new and attractive place, in a nice location too ........ but just "underpowered and under-designed" in some key logistical functions.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oklahoma City-Penn Sq? Share your experiences!