“Best in OKC” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ranch Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,432 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: On W. Britton Rd., Between Lake Hefner Parkway & N. May Ave.
Oklahoma
“Best in OKC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

One of our best OKC meals ever. Absolute perfection from the appetizers to desert. You should have reservations as they are known as consistently good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Top Notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The wine list is one of the best around, and constantly changing. If you're a wine lover, don't just go by the list, you can ask about what's new in. They stock "ordinary bottles" to cater to your average diner that wants to recognize the name on the label, but they take pride in their rarities & new finds. Their beer list is recently updated as well (for the better, I think). You'll find a nice selection of scotches (30ish iirc) and bourbons and bar staff that know their wares well. As for food, the bone-in ribeye is the best you'll find. Ask about different preparations & you may be pleasantly surprised.

My standard order is to split the rock shrimp appetizer and a bone-in ribeye with someone, along with my own caesar salad, and I end up full and happy. If your friends like a cigar after dinner, the patio is well arranged to enjoy a smoke with ample comfortable seating a safe distance apart. I generally sit in the bar area for a more colorful experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good steak, then not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The steak I had at The Ranch was excellent. That was the good part. This is basically a Ruby Tuesdays with ordinary wine bottles on the wall. Our bill for four, with one bottle of wine and tip was $364.00. The service was awful for a restaurant with this ones pretensions. At a good restaurant you shouldn’t know the server is there, except to take your orders. We were in a booth so that is more difficult though. However I would not expect the server to lean against the back of the booth, listen to our conversation and then join in, relating his experiences. We were constantly asked if everything was all right, if we needed more ice tea, etc. If a glass is empty, fill it! If a plate is clear, remove it! The worst was, granted it's my pet peeve, we were asked to cut into our steaks to see if they were prepared properly. My wife jumped in before I could go irate and asked sweetly if their cook didn’t know how to cook steaks? I didn’t know what marketer came up with this phrase but it drives me nuts. Good thing for them I didn’t cut into it. The steaks were brought to the table in a fashion I had never seen before. They were just off the grill, not given a chance to sit, so when I did cut into it, it was rare, not medium rare as ordered, and burn the roof of your mouth hot. A good restaurant knows to let steaks sit. By the time mine cooled, it was medium rare. A good restaurant knows that steaks continue to cook after removal from heat.

Ok, good steak, obtrusive service, but how was the rest of the food. Beet salad very good, stuffed mushrooms awful, not sure if they were stuffed or not, as a quarter to half inch of glutinous cheese was melted over tiny mushrooms. Should microwaves be allowed in restaurants? Worst stuffed mushrooms ever had. Grilled asparagus I expected, hoped, to be al dente, not mushy. They weren’t mushy, just not grilled, were crunchy and stringy. No sides were finished even when I tried to palm them off on others. Rolls were good. I don’t like merlot, just tasted this wine, was muddier than usual. Other than the steaks, rolls and beets, the sides ranged from below average to bad. I would have rated higher but at this price expected everything to be good, it wasn't. Rare for me to leave so much on my plates.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Excellent food and service. The atmosphere is like any other steak house where there are some upbeat areas and also some quiet, quaint areas.

The service was good but could've been better. We found ourselves asking for our drinks, bread etc.

Overall, wonderful place to eat just be prepared as it is pricey!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Come N Get it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a good restaurant, and if you consider it's location, a GREAT restaurant! The steaks are obviously good, they have a very nice wine list with some good suggestions if you ask the waiter/waitress from California. They usually have a fish special and if you're lucky enough to go to THE Ranch when they have Chilean Sea Bass you are in for a treat. It's very nicely prepared and a great alternative to plugging your arteries with more red meat.

• Visited April 2012