“Ants in our beds!” 2 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #12 of 24 hotels in Norman
“Ants in our beds!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Since the 1st and 2nd floors were full of crickets and grasshoppers, the ants stayed with us on the 3rd floor. We woke up with ants in our beds. When I went searching for the ice machine on the 3rd floor, I ran into the housekeeper, with my ice bucket in hand, and asked her if this floor has an ice machine. Her response was "No Engli". When we were leaving the hotel, I did not see anyone at the front desk to discuss the issue with the ants. Iwaited for someone to appear, but heard the front desk person talking about personal issues in the room off from the front desk. There were several keys lying on the counter which would tell me the front desk person has not been at the desk for quite some time...this was Sunday morning at 10a when folks are checking out. When I complained to their corporate offices, the assistant to the general manager called me and offered a 25 percent discount in hopes that we would give them another chance. I told her I will never return.

• Stayed August 2012
normancis, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Norman, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about the concerns you had regarding your stay. I'm sorry that your experiece here wasn't what you expected. I have addressed your comments with the management staff and have taken appropriate measures to make sure they do not happen again.

Durng the time you were here, all of Norman, Moore and parts of southern Oklahoma City experienced a large number of crickets that were trying to escape the record heat. As a result we were one of quite a few hotels that had a lot of crickets seeking air conditioning as well as an escape from the birds that followed them into town. Our exterminators made several service calls to the hotel during that time.

Again, please accept my apologies. Please call me directly next time you are planning a trip to Norman so I can have the opportunity to make it up to you.

Thank you.

David Lamb

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Country Inn and Suites in Norman, Ok. We were there for our daughter's volleyball camp at O.U. The location is a short drive (abt. 20 min.) to the University but it was also a great location for shopping (near the Sooner Mall) and very close to lots of places to eat. This property was well maintained with a workout room, spa, pool, ice machine and breakfast all on the first floor. Fresh baked cookies in the lobby in the evening with several varieties. The breakfast had options such as fresh fruit (sliced), juices, coffee, muffins and other breads, oatmeal, yogurt, cereals, milk, eggs, bacon or sausage, pastries, waffles, etc. This hotel is a 3 story with inside corridors, well maintained, and newspapers in lobby. The housekeeping staff on our floor didn't speak English at all so we couldn't ask basic questions and she didn't vacuum. She cleaned the bathroom but did minimal cleaning to the room including not emptying a very full waste basket in the room. We sat the trashcan in the hall and called the front desk. They got the hint and emptied it. The staff in the lobby was friendly and answered our questions about the area. We felt safe in this area even at night. The pool was open late at night which was nice for us. The beds were comfortable. We had free internet as well and our cell phone service was excellent too but then again we were on the third floor. The bathroom was large which was nice with teenage girls. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you love to walk with, eat with, and sleep with crickets and grasshoppers then this is the place for you. I never stayed a hotel with so many crickets inside the looby, eating area, and all down the corridoors. They were just walking around the looby floor, huge as hell. Even the one's people step on just laying dead all over. Then the front desk decided to give me a room with no working air conditioning system. So I complained and of course crickets were in the room(first floor) . So we changed floors & rooms and to my suprise 1 of my reservation was changed without my permission. I previously reserved 2 dble bed rooms 1 king suite. They decided to give me 2 king suite and 1 dble bed room. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS HOTEL IS RANKED IN THE TOP TEN OF NORMAN OK. and here is the kicker I was accomendated with a 5% discount and 10,000 gold member points. YOU CAN KEEP IT. COUNTRY INN & CRICKET CITY WON'T EVER SEE ME AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Arrived late, no problem with check-in. The room was cool, clean, quiet and super comfy bed!!! Great location near OU and stores.

• Stayed July 2012
Oskaloosa, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Clean basic hotel. Not as good as other Country Inn & Suites we have been in, but still ok.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had a reservation for a two queen room, for nearly a month. When I arrived, the two queen room was not available and they tried to put me in a king room, which was not acceptable. No explanation other than the reservation had been changed internally. I had to find different accommodations, at a higher rate. I will not give them a second chance. There are plenty of other options nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Norman, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Like you, I am certainly disappointed that we were not able to have your requested room type available when you arrived. Unfortunately a group in house stayed past their scheduled departure date and subsequently the room type you reserved was not available. This is a rare occasion but unfortunately it happened the day of your arrival and I understand your frustration. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team that this unfortunate situation occurred.

If you are planning another trip to or through Norman, please contact me directly so that I could have the opportunity to earn your business back.

Once again please do accept my apologies.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stay at this hotel on our way to Texas several times a year. It is always clean and comfortable, the breakfast is good and the staff are always friendly. We have never had a problem here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Norman? Share your experiences!