“Good hotel in good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Good hotel in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

This hotel is in a pretty convenient spot in Norman, just off the interstate, but set back such that there isn't road noise. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Carinos, Interurban, Jason's Deli). Breakfast was good, and coffee was actually decent (unlike at most hotels).

My only complaint is that the bed was exceptionally firm, which is not my preference.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights while visiting family in the area. The breakfast buffet is the best I've experienced. The usual, plus waffles, fruit, and different meat and eggs each morning. Also serviced by a lovely woman. The room was quite comfortable & clean. Set back from the expressway so quieter than other hotels in area. My room in the back on the ground floor faced a line of trees. Nice. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Very good rate by paying in advance.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Marina, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I was surprised to get this place on Hotwire. You don't normally see this chain on there. As I recall, it was a 3* and, all in all, I don't think it deserves that.
The lobby was very pretty with its comfortable sitting area, fireplace and wood-railed staircase, but the rooms were really drab and just somewhat disconcerting. I can't really explain the latter, but there was just something wrong here. I was surprised to see all of the obvious signs of wear in the bathroom. Lots of marks on the wall, grout from the tub, etc. I was also surprised to find no fridge and microwave in the room. I had always assume all Country Inns had these, but I guess not this one. There was actually no public microwave in the hotel, but the clerk was nice enough to warm up my leftovers in the employee microwave.
Maybe the Hotwire thing did it, but we were stuck at the end of the hall by the stairs. I like the end of the hall, but not next to the stairs. In the end, this didn't prove to be a problem, because the breakfast herd instead used the main stairs in the morning.
Breakfast was served in a somewhat cramped room. Most hotel breakfast areas are cramped though, so they can't be blamed. Nothing exceptional on the menu but certainly above a Super 8. It seems like, just from the decor, they're trying to directly compete with Homewood Suites and that hotel, at least the location where I stayed most recently, had a FANTASTIC breakfast.
I checked out the reading area in the lobby while I waited for my food to be heated and found a lot of L. Ron Hubbard books on the bookshelf. I guess they just take whatever they can get for free and I can't really blame them for that. Just kind of strange.
They also have a small porch-like area just outside the front door where guests can sit and awkwardly stare at other guests coming through the front door. It was especially weird because the porch just looked out at the vast parking lot. This when there was a sort of undeveloped forest right behind the building.
The hotel also allows pets and, in the morning, we got a yappy dog in a nearby room as an alarm clock.
The biggest slap in the face was the fact that, although they have an indoor pool + hot tub that looked really nice, the whole facility was closed for "maintenance." I was really looking forward to it and was very disappointed.
Big plus is that there are a couple of restaurants in the parking lot, one of them being a Jason's Deli.
I certainly wouldn't have booked this place on my own and I wasn't really happy with Hotwire's putting me here. I think a 2* from them probably would have been about on par with this for the experience and would have cost a little less.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

We spent two nights here after being disappointed by the Hampton two weeks prior. The rooms smell a little musty, but I think it's simply because business is slow and they're not being used. That said, I got a great rate ($85) for a 1-bedroom king suite. It was clean and comfortable. A big plus for me: the window actually opens! Fresh air is a wonderful thing! This will be my new choice for hotels in Norman. Breakfast isn't too great, but it compares to what a Hampton or Fairfield will offer. There were plenty of cookies each night, too.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Reykjanesbaer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed at the County inn & suites for a total of four nights. The continental breakfast was always good and they never ran out of supplies. 24 hour coffee and cookies is a great idea and we definitely used it. County Inn has good size rooms and the air conditioning was definitely a life saver in the 100 degree + temperatures. Never used the pool though since we were visiting friends who have a backyard pool. The business center could use more than one computer though. Overall a great experience, will definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We got a $53/night game for this place on Hotwire.com Check in was easy, the room was clean, the bathroom was very clean. The beds were just okay, but about what you would expect for this type of hotel. The lobby is very nice and is a cozy place to hang out. Breakfast is pretty good too. Our only beef with the place was the lack of promised cookies in the evening...after standing at the OU game for 6 hours we were STARVING and REALLY wanted one of those suckers! Didn't see any all weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed 1 night at Country Inns. I checked into room 329 and I noticed dead bugs (roaches) on the bathroom floor so I immediately asked to be switched. I was switched to another room (#130) and there was the same problem. There were dead bugs on the bathroom floor, by the door jam and along the walls. Since they were dead I cleaned them up with toilet paper. It was too late to cancel and look for another hotel room. In the morning there were new dead bugs on the bathroom floor. One positive about this place - the woman at the front desk was siper friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
CountryInnNorman, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Norman, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
We take comments as yours seriously in an effort to improve our overall quality and guest experience!

Warm regards,
Kendra Wilson
Manager
405-360-0240

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Norman? Share your experiences!