“Average property with great service.” 3 of 5 stars

The Norman Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 N Interstate Dr, Norman, OK 73072   |
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Norman
Augusta, Kansas
“Average property with great service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Overall a decent stay in what seemed like an older property. The air conditioner went out in our room and since it was game day, there were almost no more rooms available in Norman. Luckily, someone checked out early in another room and the front clerk went out of her way to personally clean and prep the room so that we could move and be comfortable. The manager gave us a free night as well as breakfast. I was very pleased at the way the situation was handled. The second room we had was much nicer than the first. Probably remodeled. However, it was a smoking room. Windows needed to be cleaned for better view of the city. The pool was not usable. Would I stay there again? 50/50 on that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Check in was fine, but on entering the room we found several dead crickets on the floor of the room. We killed several more live ones during a 2 night stay. Chewing gum was stuck on the window sill. There were stains on one of our bedspreads that looked like blood. We didn't get a replacement until 10 pm the second night of our stay. The refridgerator was unplugged, so we had to climb behind the armoire to plug it in, and of course it took a while to get cold. The clock was unplugged. The hairdryer was missing from the bathroom. We soon discovered that there was no hot water in the entire hotel, which wasn't remedied until about 3 pm the next day. There was a fire alarm the second evening, which required us to stand outside for half an hour (I know this wasn't their fault, but it added to the overall bad weekend). One of the two elevators was broken, and the hotel was full, which made for long long waits for the single elevator. The front desk was nice and did their best, but the housekeeping service was very slow to respond. The lobby/dining area seemed fine, the pool was satisfactory, and the breakfast was good with decent service. But this couldn't make up for the many problems we encountered.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Norman Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Laurika2000,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel is typical for an IHG property, old building with popcorn ceilings and new paint trying to hide it. Floor had a yellow stain on it five feet long which disappeared when the sun went down and the lamp came on.. pretty nasty! I called the desk to let them know so I didn't get blamed for it and the guy told me not to worry about it... easy for him to say. My biggest gripe is that I was not offered a room upgrade and no bottle of water or candy was given to me at check in like everywhere else I stay.

On the bright side the location is great and it is next to 5 great restaraunts you can walk to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Norman Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Aatwatch1,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We're glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel. I deeply apologize that the condition of our facilities and the services you received fell below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C
Enid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn last weekend because my husband's family is from Norman so we try to take our kids up there once a month or so. The hotel was great- super easy to get too and they allow pets which is always a plus. My daughters had a great time swimming and thought it was the neatest thing that they could swim even when it was raining (they have an indoor pool). The breakfast variety was better than I expected- my husband went a head and paid the extra $10 a night to have a breakfast included each morning and it was worth it for a full buffet. When traveling with 2 small kids it is hard to find a place that is centrally located where we won't have to do a bunch of "get in and get out" of the car; so it was nice to stay at the Holiday Inn because they are next door to 3 or 4 places to eat so we walked both nights. Over all it was a great weekend and for the price we paid I will totally be coming back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the price with breakfast added to your room rate- it is worth the extra $10
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I scored this hotel on Priceline for $42. I was a bit concerned by the mixed reviews, but our experience was good. Check in was quick and friendly. The AC was not working properly in the first room, but we were then given a second room that was fine. Our room was quite clean. The furniture and decor were nice. Nice large flat screen TV. No problems.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that we always stay at Holiday Inn when we travel which is a lot. We've never stayed at this one and never will again. We stayed on the 3rd floor which has a terrible smell and they have numerous fans sitting on the floor and blowing. When we walked up to our room their were 2 dirty glasses sitting there on the floor. Hair was in and around the tub on the floor. A weird grey streak on one of the fitted sheets. The carpets could use a deep clean. After having my shoes off for 5 minutes my feet were sticky. Big red stain on the carpet between the beds. This morning I was going to call the front desk to see if breakfast is complimentary and the phone doesn't work. I used my cell to call down to front desk and asked for a manager. Brent or Bennett told me there is no manager on duty on Sundays. I went ahead and told him how filthy the room was when we checked in and how the phone being broke was the last straw and I thought they should know. His reply was ' if you want a discount you need to call back tomorrow and speak to Brittny.' I said 'no I wasn't asking for a discount I just wanted you to know that housekeeping needs to step it up around here and there are 2 dirty glasses sitting outside my door that were there on check in. And everytime we've stayed at holiday inn breakfast is complimentary.' and he says 'well you must have stayed in holiday inn express they have free breakfast, this is just a regular holiday inn. I can't do anything until the managers come back.' this place is filthy don't stay here, we definitely won't be back to this particular holiday inn if we need stay in Norman again.

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Norman Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Hislilwifey,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for your staying with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our front desk. In addition, I am sorry your room was not cleaned when you arrived, this will certainly be forwarded to the Housekeeping Department. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The staff are very friendly and polite and the pool is fantastic. Our room was not the cleanest and smelled a bit musty but served its purpose for a one night stay. There are lots of places to eat within walking distance as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Norman Hotel? Share your experiences!