“Wonderful little gem in Muskogee” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Muskogee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Maine
“Wonderful little gem in Muskogee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My husband and I decided to try Miss Addie's, in spite of the prior reviews. I have to tell you, if you listen to the previous posts, you might just miss out on a great meal! My husband is generally quite fussy; however he was very pleased with every single dish put in front of him. From the hot bread sticks to the stuffed mushrooms, it's the details that make a little restaurant like this great. The staff wasn't just friendly, they stood talking with us to help us figure out what to do for Easter dinner. The entrees were excellent, and the presentation was 5-star. I had the salmon, he had pork medallions. Both were great! We've been traveling all over the US, and this is by far the best meal we've had in a long time. Do call ahead, as seating is limited. You'll be glad you listened!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Northeast Iowa
“Pretentious and rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed in Muskogee for one night and wanted to have a nice dinner out. Miss Addie's was recommended to us, so we thought we'd try it out. Since we were from out of town, we didn't realize the "tone" of the restauant and we arrived in jeans.

The hostess came over to us and looked at us expectantly. I said, "Table for 2, please," and she asked if we had a reservation. We told her that we did not. She went to the back of the restaurant for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile my husband and I were standing uncomfortably in the doorway, feeling conspicious and on display.

The hostess finally came back and said that there was one reservation coming up, so she's have to save a table for that, and because of that the wait would be a half an hour. I looked around the restaurant and saw many customers half way or more into their dinners, so I thought the 30 minute wait was a bit of an over estimate. The hostess then said that we could wait if we wanted to, but she wouldn't blame us if we sent somewhere else.

Apparently the food at Miss Addie's is not worth a 30 minute wait.

We left, feeling embarrassed and snubbed. Needless to say, next time we're staying in Muskogee, we will not be stopping at Miss Addie's for dinner. We ended up having a great meal and wonderful service at the Okie Steak House.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ill-deserved reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

Miss Addie's is touted as the best restaurant in Muskogee - it is one of the very few non-chain restaurants in town and just about the only quality establishment downtown. While it has some charms, my wife and I were somewhat disappointed with our recent experiences there. We started off well enough, with tasty appetizers (great tortilla soup) but were soon under whelmed by our entrees. My stuffed pork chop dish was so overcooked that it was completely dry and flaky; it was also over-garnished, with the spices totally overpowering what taste there was. My wife found the same with her fish dish - overcooked and generally ill-conceived. My impression was of a chef trying too hard to make conventional (but completely acceptable) dishes his or her own and failing.

We decided to try its lunch menu a few days later but were disappointed again. Though our soup was great, the accompanying sandwiches were stodgy and dull. It was poor value at $6.

Service on both occasions was basic and effective without ever being friendly or exceptional. While we easily forgave our new, nervous, inexperienced but friendly dinner waitress her few errors, we could not do so with our sour, unsmiling, and borderline rude lunch server.

Finally, to the decor; the dinner room is small, intimate, and richly furnished in dark wood - perfect for a quiet evening's repast and conversation - but the cohesive look is totally destroyed by a large blue cooler visible next to the bar, and the un-cordoned off till area. I feel that a little more effort - and a customer's eye - would fix these basic flaws. I say the same about the service and food; with so many chain restaurants in town, I think Miss Addie's cannot rely solely on reputation to convince diners to frequent there. I know my wife and I won't rush back.