“Hole in a wall, but great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Hole in a wall, but great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

If you want a greasy burger, don't bother. This is a lean, flavorful treat! I loved the ice cream even better - a thick, whipped creamy confection - mmmm!
Let's face it, if the building were anywhere else, it would have fallen down long ago. For me, it's refreshing going somewhere that doesn't have exact duplicates in every city, or is a faked antiquity.
It was odd driving out to the middle of nowhere and standing in line an hour for a burger. For me, the overpriced menu was worth it, and I'll go back if I ever get within a hundred miles again.
For you critics that find fault in everything with your ax to grind everywhere you go, save us all the trouble and keep driving a to your favorite chain eatery back home. The only griping I want to hear is from the hostess! I'd complain too if I had to deal with an endless procession of people all day every day. This is the best of two star dining!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

56% Recommend
Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Sorry we drove 2 hours for this experience !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

To begin with we had a long wait,which I am not complaining about.Our party of 8 and was sent to a table for 6.When we informed the staff our table was not big enough she said she could put us back in line to wait for another table!! Tables are crammed in the old runned down building like sardines.All of our food was cold.The food is delivered to tables in pie plates stacked on top of each other so the burgers toward the bottom of the stack were mashed,not to mention how unsanitary this is.The fried green tomatoes, ice cream and cobbler were good and we had a ok waitress.Dont bring anyone handicap here!! There is NO handicap parking and the so called ramp does not meet ADA specs.It is too short and very steep.I will NEVER return .Overall BAD experience!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Updated Review: Gave it a 2nd chance, will not being going back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I posted a review on this restaurant earlier this year and to be fair I went back to give them a second shot, because honestly there's not too many food options in the area (near the Refuge where I like to hike). Again, the line didn't bother me because I expected it, but the disrespect and outright rudeness of the staff that works there absolutely blew my mind. Not only did they take the order and serve the group that came in after us first, but they flat out neglected us to a point where we had to go over the the beverage station and pour our own coffee and get our own utensils and condiments. The thing that bothered me the most was how painfully rude the hostess was to an older patron who clearly did not understand their "no check" policy. He was belittled in in front of his family and at that point we decided that we would not be coming back. Overall, the poor service and consideration of the staff and overall average taste of the food has made my decision to not return and to re-write my previous review. I hope everyone else who goes here has a better experience that I had the 2 times I dined at this establishment. Maybe I caught them on bad days, but per the other reviews, I don't believe to be alone in my experiences.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Great food, but grumpy & dumpy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were excited about eating at this restaurant, which is out in the windswept country near the Wichita Mountains. It's reputation among servicemen stationed at Ft. Sill is legendary. We were warned to expect a long wait for a table. It was an hour. The hostess was a grump, ordering people around, instead of greeting customers graciously. The floor was dirty, and the Men's room was unclean.

The beef, Meers' specialty, was delicious. They raise and slaughter their own cattle. Portions were grossly large. So, come hungry. The homemade ice cream in root beer float and pie a la mode was wonderful.

On the table was a bombastic screed against Obama-care. Come on, man! Diners don't want their mood affected by the owners' political views. Whether you agree or disagree, let diners decide for themselves if they want to discuss religion or politics when dining.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Cultural Legendary, Deliciously Backward”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

If you are coming to Oklahoma, or maybe flying to the west or east coast, you should probably fly into OK City or Lawton and rent a car and drive out to Meers for this singular dining experience. If fact, for the total American Experience, if you are already living in the States, or if you are just visiting the continent, will not be complete without eating here. Yep, the floors are board and uneven and creaky. The antique seismograph goes pretty slow but as far as I know has always been accurate. The burgers are great, and the whole menu is on the hokey folksy side. There may be a line to wait in. Legendary, historic place, the Meers Store. Don't expect perfect or big city speed. Ain't no haute cuisine. You might definitely have to get over yourself on several levels, if you are expecting lightning speed. If you can't enjoy regional charm, the sometimes backward and humble? Stick to your P.F. Chang-a-lang crap and all that pre-fab glitz at the Cheesecake Factory. This place is the opposite from all that billion dollar flash. Hang around a few days, drive over to Medicine Park. A herd of buffalo may decide walk out on the two lane & stand still for 15 minutes. Think of that while you are waiting on your BBQ at the Meers store, where the cooks offer up some fine details that take a little time.

• Visited September 2013