“Decent Room, Free Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites McAlester

Save Saved
You added Comfort Suites McAlester to your Saves list
Comfort Suites McAlester
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   650 George Nigh Expressway, McAlester, OK 74501 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in McAlester
Little Elm, Texas
“Decent Room, Free Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived late in the evening and were more interested in sleeping than anything else. The staff at the front desk was not terribly friendly and seemed to be out of sorts regarding various reservations. I heard one of the front desk employees that the rooms with the double queens were not available because they had not yet been cleaned? Seriously? At 11:00 PM. Inexcusable. Once we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was large with a mini fridge, microwave, sofa that pulls out into a full bed. The TV is outdated and the carpet and bathrooms did show signs of aging. Shower pressure was good as was the availability of hot water. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is located right off of HWY 69 and the noise from the road is easily heard especially if the AC is not running. The breakfast the next morning featured scrambled eggs, sausage, make your own waffles and the assorted continental breakfast foods. Food was good. Overall for what we paid, we were pleased.

Room Tip: As for a room on the opposite side of the property from the highway. It will at least help a little...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed at this Comfort Suites for just one night (thankfully) while traveling through Oklahoma. This was probably the most disgusting room I have ever experienced in years of travel. The deadbolt broken off the door, multiple stains all over the carpet, a roach in the bathrub, etc. I woke up in the morning with multiple bug bites on my arm. There is no way that the carpet in the room was vacuumed before my stay - hairballs, debris, lint, etc. all over the floor in plain view. Although this is a franchise location, I can't believe that Choice Hotels allows this property to be maintained in this condition. Avoid at all costs and choose ANYWHERE else in town - or just sleep in your car!

Room Tip: Request a room without roaches and bed bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked a one week reservation here from Priceline.com, with the "Name your own price" scam that they run. Of course, to those of you who have tried to use this gimmick from priceline before, you will know that, even though you may get your own price, priceline will give you the worst hotel for the money, usually in hotels that are away from the action, and will be classed lower than you expected, given the money you are paying.

This was no exception for this stay. Right off, the bathroom sink would not drain, almost coming to overflow status had it not been for the drain holes in the sink. Next, the carpet in the elevator was the most filthy, ugly excuse for flooring inside an elevator I have ever seen. That should have been my first clue that this hotel was at the lower level of cleanliness. When I mentioned this to the manager, she stated, "The issue is being addressed now by our maintenance department". A week later when I left, the same filthy carpet was still on the elevator floor. How much time does it take to replace a 48"x 48" carpet......about 30-45 minutes at the most. But it costs money, money that CS does not want to spend, because they want to maintain their well deserved title of the most filthy hotel on the planet.

Ever tried sleeping with gnats flying around your face and head? Quite a frustrating and annoying experience, to put it mildly. I mentioned this to the night clerk, and I was told, "The rooms are being sprayed". A week later when I left, my room had still not been sprayed. They offered to move me to another room, but I had so many things, including computer equipment, that I just did not want to move. So if you decide to come to CS, you will either have to bring your own insecticide, or become comfortable living with the gnats.

To top everything else, the housekeeping woman tried to leave my room one day without even stepping into the bathroom, with towels, wash cloths, strewn about the bathroom so there was no doubt that the bathroom needed attention. I had to call this person back to do the bathroom. On other occasions, it was quite evident that she did not change the linens on the bed, just re-arranged the quilt and sheets. I have never been to a hotel where this was the practice, so this is a first for me.

All in all, the worst place I have ever stayed. But maybe this is what Oklahomans are accustomed to, who knows? So if you are contemplating making a reservation here, think about it really hard, then find another hotel: Days Inn and La Quinta are several steps ahead of this poor excuse for a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Black Lick, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Arrived in time to have dinner and the desk clerk suggested a great mexican restaurant called Patron. It was very good. The evening clerk was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was very large with the a pull out sofa and lots of room for our bags. The breakfast was very good and we enjoyed the bacon and waffles.
This was a very nice hotel and we would stay here again. Lots of stuff nearby to see and do.
The wifi worked good in our room and other than there were a few dead bugs on the carpet the place was very clean. We did not see any live bugs.
I would stay here again
Oh, book with the hotel directly as they give you the best rate. Dana the night clerk that night was very helpful and pleasant. We enjoyed speaking with her and she is very customer service oriented. THanks

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly for the best rate.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have stayed at so many comfort suites and they have all been exceptional except for this one. It had a leak in the lobby, mold on the shower curtains, dead cockroaches in the room, and worst of all the Internet wouldn't reach our room so we had to go to the lobby to connect to the wifi and make reservations for other hotels. This was a real let down compared to the other comfort suites. I wouldn't recommend staying here. The best thing was the service, the workers were nice and helpful but overall a let down

• Stayed July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Overall, this is a decent place to stay. There were a few issues. The toilet had not been cleaned at all. I had to clean it with a towel (hopefully they threw it away). The bath tub area needed some detailed cleaning...very grubby. The book in the room lists breakfast on weekends until 10:00. When I arrived at the breakfast room at 9:30 on Saturday it was already closed and a staff person was sweeping. Even on the days it was open it was minimal at best and poorly maintained. I get the feeling that even though the corporation offers breakfast as a major amenity most of the individual hotels wish that they didn't have to bother. On the plus side, the staff is friendly and the room was very comfortable. Big, comfortable lobby. Good location on the main highway through town near restaurants and the Wal-Mart.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times. They allow pets for a $10 fee. The lady at the front desk was very polite. She up graded our room for free. We were placed in a Jacuzzi king suite (that is what I am guessing it was). The shower/jacuzzi was in the "living room/bedroom" and not the bathroom. I found it interesting, it was really large. I would not get this room again since we took hot showers it made the room really humid. It just felt wet. The hotel was in a good location, near restaurants and Walmart. We did not have breatfast during that stay but we have had it before and it is good. We will stay here again. We have family in Mcalester.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Comfort Suites McAlester? Share your experiences!