“Nice travel lodging” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in McAlester
Oklahoma
“Nice travel lodging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Clean and well staffed.we enjoyed our stay. After a day of driving, however, actually finding the hotel was a bit frustrating. It sits off the road and the sign is not visible from the north. Watch the GPS!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here with my family for Labor Day weekend and experience was very bad. I chose this hotel expecting the normal Holiday Inn standards and it was clearly way below. I booked the room on-line and the staff made us feel like second-class citizens because of this. Our reservations were for two rooms with two beds in each. On the morning of travel I called the hotel and the clerk said we have a problem. I can give you one room with two beds but the other is one king size bed. Then she said "I can't do anything about this because you booked on-line. But you can talk to Hotwire (which was not the booking site I used) and maybe they will refund your money and find a room somewhere else." Rather than try to work with me she seemed to prefer for me to take my business elsewhere. Since it was a holiday weekend and this is a small town the options were limited so we took the rooms even though barely adequate for our needs. Then I asked for one of the rooms to be near an elevator as one of our travellers is handicapped but again they did not try to accomodate our needs and his room was 3/4 way down the hall from the elevator. The real kicker was when we returned to our room at 2 am and one of our rooms had not been cleaned. This in spite of me personally asking 4 people to clean our room when we left the hotel and each said it was next. When I complained to the clerk at 2 am obviously there was no one there to do anything and she told me to call the manager in the morning. I tried but the only response I got from the desk clerk was "sorry, but we can't do anything about it because you booked on-line. I brought you clean towels this morning." Neither the hotel manager nor the housekeeping supervisor would even respond. I didn't expect them to refund my money but I did expect the manager to respond. If you're looking for a hotel that will not try to meet the needs of their customers or a hotel that has a staff not willing to do much besides take your money, this is the place for you. Otherwise go to one of the other hotels in Mcalester that will provide a satisfactory service.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear FrequentTraveller350,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you received unacceptable service from our staff. I would like to assure you that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to improve the quality and service we offer.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
SALADO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We enjoyed this hotel. We stayed here using our rewards and it was comfortable and rooms were good size. Hotel was close to everything.
Only issues were not that big a deal-tv took forever to change channels and a/c did not have a constant blower, so when it shut off at night it got really still and you could not help but wake up.
I would stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Killeen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed here with my family. I have to say this is a really nice hotel. The room was clean and taken care of each day we were there. Our room had two queen size beds with a pull out sofa bed. We also had a refrigerator and microwave. When I go back to McAlester again, I will definitely stay here.
The beds weren't the most comfortable but they did the job. We brought our own pillows so we couldn't say if theirs were any good! I really liked that they maid refreshed the shampoo and soap each day. Most hotels don't do this and I really appreciated it. I also loved the ample amount of hot water each morning!
The only negative thing was the morning breakfast. The first day was great. There was enough food for everyone. The next two days were terrible! There wasn't enough food, the tables were dirty and the attendant complained about being over worked. For me, this was unexcusable; especially when there was other staff to assist her. Our last day there, there was literally no hot food on the counter. She was in the back room talking to the front desk clerk and one of the maids. The tables were once again messy and there was a full crowd of people there. The three women were complaining so loud we could what they were talking about out in the open. This is completely unacceptable. If they are so unhappy, someone else would probably like their jobs.
When I do stay there again, I will bring my own breakfast food as this way I won't have to wait to eat until the attendant is done complaining!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Universal City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Great bed - we had an Executive King room. Wife loved the extra jets in the shower. Breakfast was good with reasonable variety. Our check in experience was great even though they were busy, they had adequate staff. Love the fact that you are within walking distance of several restaurants. Carpets, etc starting to show a little wear but everything was clean and serviceable. The room was a little on the pricey side but not out of the expected range.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Rates were a little high but well worth it! Breakfast was great and loved the pool area. Front desk staff was also very helpful. The shopping center was close by and so are the resturaunts. Loved the stay and the ONLY thing I didnt like too much was the parking "not that it wasnt a safe area".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed two nights while attending a family reunion. First impression is the hotel is very clean. No stains on carpets in common areas or rooms. Nice furniture in common areas. Check in was a little slow, because the clerk was alone and had to handle phone calls. Room (king suite) was comfortable, with mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Coffee was supplied along with assorted items (bowls, spoons, knifes and paper towels. AC worked great. Towels and wash cloths were soft and fluffy. Room was on west side of building, so traffic from US69 was not a problem.

Wifi is free and is very fast. The signal could be picked up outside at the pool!

All the staff were friendly and helpful!

Breakfast (biscuits, gravy, eggs, assorted juices and cereals) was good. A nice touch was the platter of cookies at the reception desk. The pool was clean and pool furniture was in good shape.

The hotel is located within walking distance to several restaurants. There is a shopping area across the highway.

All in all, it is a nice place to spend a night or two. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ben C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear BaldMac,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent family reunion and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're always striving for excellence and looking for ways to improve our guests' time here.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you and your family here again soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester? Share your experiences!