“Great Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 hotels in McAlester
Holly Pond
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been staying at the Candlewood Suites for several weeks in a row now as I travel to McAlester on business. The staff is ALWAYS friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel recently had the carpets cleaned in the rooms and now it is even more refreshing to walk into the rooms. Even the parking lot and grounds are well kept and well lit. I plan to continue staying at the Candlewood in the upcoming months during my trips and I recommend it to my colleagues traveling to the areas as well.

Room Tip: I prefer the upper level rooms just due to noise made by guests in floors above.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Duncan, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The candlewood Hotel is a great place to stay. Friendly people greet you at the front desk,with very clean rooms and free dvd rentals.

Room Tip: stay on the very top floor its quieter"
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The staff is grate and friendly. We stay there for months at a time and we will not stay at any other hotels

• Stayed July 2012
Pauls Valley, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Candlewood suites is like home away from home. Great service and nice people.

Room Tip: I always prefer bottom floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was on an impromptu photography road trip to Robbers Cave State Park. After a day of very hot excursions, I ended my day at the Candlewood Suites in McAlester, OK. I was hot and tired. I had just made the reservation about 5 minutes before arriving using my phone and hotel.com.

When I arrived, they had my reservation already in their system. For once the computer system worked as designed. I was given a fourth floor suite with a king sized bed.

What I liked:

- The lobby was large and they have a small convenience store there as well with usual sweet and salty snacks. In addition, they had ice-cream, microwave dinners, cold drinks and sandwiches. They also had things like Tylenol and other more common over-the-counter medications. All in all, a nice assortment of items if you don’t feel like going out.
- The hotel is set back from Hwy 69 behind some restaurants. My room looked onto an empty hill out back. It was very quiet and I heard no road noise.
- Besides the usual fast food places like Carl’s Jr and Pizza Hut, there was a place called the Rib Crib. It’s kind of like an Applebee’s for ribs. The ribs were outstanding. We don’t have them in Dallas yet. They’re a chain and the people were great.
- Across the street is a Blockbuster, WalMart and Staples. All within walking distance. There’s a DVD player in the room, so if you’re so inclined, you have a place to get DVD’s.
- The room was quite large and felt “roomy”.
- They actually had a lazy-boy recliner. It wasn’t the best in the world, but it sure beat having to sit on the bed or a side chair. I don’t know why more places don’t provide a decent chair to sit in.
- They had a movable desk/table with a regular swivel and tilt office chair in addition to a side chair. There were six outlets by the desk which will let you charge all your different devices and batteries. There were also outlets on each side of the bed, with additional free receptacles in the kitchen. I’ve been in hotel rooms where I was lucky I could find one outlet in the bathroom to charge all my devices.
- The kitchen appliances were full sized including a refrigerator, stove top and microwave. There were glasses, pots, pans and other cooking/dining items. There was also a courtesy package of microwave popcorn in the microwave oven.
- There were plenty of towels and pillows.
- The bed was very comfortable, but that’s something according to taste. It wasn’t super firm, but it was a sway back wreck either.
- Finally, the shower head was great with plenty of hot water. It was one of those spray/massage type units. After the day I had hiking, I found it most welcome.

What I didn’t like:

- There are no ice machines in the building. You need to turn on the ice maker in the freezer in your room to get ice. That could take 30 to 45 minutes before the first tray comes out. I found that a bit frustrating.
- All the power outlets were out except the grounded outlets in the kitchen. The good news is that the circuit breaker panel is easily accessible and I was able to reset the breaker once I figured out what the issue was. I found it interesting that the bedside clock radio was still working. It must have a battery backup because unplugging it to test the socket didn’t seem to bother it.
- The entrance to the parking lot is very hard to spot. There’s a ground level sign, but it’s very easy to miss. The best thing to do is pull into the Rib Crib or Carl Jr’s parking lot and go around the back to reach the Candlewood lot.

Conclusion:

This hotel struck me as rather new. It was clean and well maintained. I didn’t go over all the amenities because the hotel description does that. I also had very little interaction with the staff, although what interaction I had was fine. I paid a base rate of $86 which was about $20 a night cheaper than the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express.

I really enjoyed my stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel on April 28, 2012, We were so impressed with the cleanliness and nice room and facility. We want to especially give recognition to the sweet and very helpful young women that checked us in. Her name was Brenda. We will stay at Candlewood Suites again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The staff was extremely welcoming, room was big and very clean. Loved the popcorn package in the microwave....a definite welcome to the end of a long trip! Planning on staying there again on our way back home in a few days.

Room Tip: Very clean, comfortable and affordable!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Mcalester? Share your experiences!