“Worth the Hassle” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lone Wolf
Oklahoma
“Worth the Hassle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

I recently had the joy of planning a retreat for our church to be held at Quartz Mountain. This is my fourth year and walked into some unpleasant changes. The management at the Resort is new and have not started out on a good foot with me, or my attendees. The sales manager, several restaurant staff and a front desk manager that we had worked with before and had really made our experience worth the drive had either been driven out by force or by sheer frustration with the lack of common sense by those running the resort. There has been a severe drop in the quality of service, cleanliness and overall
appearance of the staff and property. We had a HORRIBLE time with the "new" sales staff, who were quick to tell me how they were unfamiliar with their job, and seemed less than sympathetic to the fact that we had worked with someone who had known us so well and took care of our group consistently. The meeting did go off well, but
it seemed to be due to the dedication of the banquet staff, who seemed to have just as much trouble getting adequate communication from the sales staff as I did. However, they went above and beyond to make things special. Our familiar faces, like Cathy in the restaurant, Kristine in Sales, Michael at the Front Desk, have all been replaced by the same generic, uncaring, drones that we can get here in the city, without paying for the gas down there. If this is the gift of the new manager, then the catering people, the only saving grace of our experience, should be spared. We would like to come back, but we would love to have the same guarantee of excellence
we had two years ago.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

Just got back from my one night stay at the Quartz Mountain Resort with my family. We had a great time! We live only an hour and a half away, but thought this would be a good getaway and had never been. The scenery is awesome, and I have been to lots of places. The service was pretty good. The only complaint I had was the bathroom and room could have been a little cleaner. There was mildew in the bathtub area and the blanket and comforter had stains on them. Also, our toilet was running and eventually overflowed, causing us to have to move to a different room. However, the food was super! We had the prime rib buffet, and it was very good. My only complaint was the food could have been a little hotter. The dessert was superb! I actually had flan! Having lived in Florida for years and now living in Oklahoma, I never thought I would find good flan here, but I did! I highly recommend the restaurant. We ate lunch and dinner there and the dinner atmosphere was very nice, with the sunset behind the mountains and lake visible from the windows. There is lots to do around the area, but unfortunately it was hunting season, so most of the trails were closed and other recreation was closed as well. However, we enjoyed the indoor pool and hottub, the cave trail, and most of all, the horseback riding and hayride we had under the stars at a nearby ranch! We will never forget the singing cowboy and seeing the milky way and all the shooting stars! If you want a great get away from it all cowboy style vacation, this place is for you!!

• Liked — the mountain and lake scenery
  • Disliked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — take advantage of the local horseback riding/hayrides, don't go in hunting season or winter if you want more to do
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midlothian, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

(The following is a letter I wrote to the Gemeral Manager of this property upon our return to Chicago. These are the type of geniune people you'll meet in rural Oklahoma.)

May 22, 2006

Mark Ratcliff
Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
22469 Lodge Road
Lone Wolf, OK 73655

Re: Compliment

Mr. Ratcliff:

This past week my partner & I stayed at Quartz Mountain for 3 nights. What a beautiful property! Growing up in Southwest Oklahoma I remember a night out at ‘the lodge’ was a special treat for many people. I can still see the view from the old 2nd floor restaurant in my mind’s eye. This is my first trip back to the area since the fire and rebuilding of Quartz Mountain. I must say I’m impressed.

But the point of this letter is to compliment one of your employees. Nita, your restaurant supervisor is a real gem! (I’m sorry I don’t know her last name or her official title.) On the evening of our first full day she was not only having to tend bar but also wait on tables. She was constantly on the move but our drinks were always full! We appreciated her dinner recommendations and wine suggestions. Nita was very friendly, down to earth and genuinely helpful.

On our final night we revealed the real reason for our trip. We had come to Hobart to bury my mother. Upon that revelation not only did her professionalism kick in but also a beautiful motherly manner. The resort was full and so was the restaurant. She sat us in a quiet area of the patio overlooking the water and over the course of several hours served us a series of cocktails, appetizers and food as we laughed and cried. She never once forgot about us.

During our difficult time, on the day of my mother’s funeral, her care and concern are something we will always remember and it’s something we thought you should know about. Please commend her on our behalf.

Randy & Joey

p.s. Tell Nita we took her advice and visited the winery in Roosevelt – we bought 3 bottles.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Quartz Mountain resort is beautiful-however we had the misfortune of trying to find it after dark. Signage is non existant, even once you arrive in the state park. They need to include signs that specifically state "hotel this way", with illumination so it can be seen at night. Perhaps even down the main state route to the resort they could post more signs such as, "Quartz Mtn Resort, only x miles more", so you get a feeling that you are still heading the right direction. Also the courtyard is not lighted, so trying to find your way to the room involves crossing an unlighted circular area, which is no big deal unless of course you just traveled 400 or so miles and are tired.

Other than that rant, the location is simply unreal. The hotel itself is very nice, very rustic in appearance. The scenery is something that you would see out of the southwest, including small types of cacti. While we were unable to enjoy any of the activities, it appears the resort keeps their guests very busy with many different activities to choose from.

• Stayed July 2005
Plano, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

The Quartz Mountain Resort is a wonderful place to stay. The accommodations were first class, clean rooms and well appointed for a hotel room. The on site restaraunt was so good, we ate most of our meals there. Of course, it's also at least 20 miles to the next large town (Altus) where you might find some place else to eat. The web site listed go-carts, putt putt, and other activities, but these were actually located either in the state park or just outside of it and were not as nice as the resort property itself. However, the pool at the resort was very nice. There are also the mountains that surround the resort (large piles of rocks more like it) that are easily climbable which my kids really enjoyed. The only disappointment was that the lake level was very low. We saw very few boats on the lake, most likely due to the difficulty of putting in under those conditions and concern over underwater obstacles.

Been to Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center? Share your experiences!