“Never Again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Stone Lion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guthrie
The Stone Lion Inn
You added The Stone Lion Inn to your Saves list
1016 West Warner, Guthrie, OK 73044   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Guthrie B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edmond, OK
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We were not greeted by anyone! No directions were given on the Murder Mystery! We dressed and went to the parlor. The mystery required 30 people, we had around 14! Again no directions were given by the owner regarding our stay or the murder mystery! The owner kept talking in a fake accent. Her dogs were allowed to roam freely through the kitchen, inn! The 7 course dinner was cold, cheap and not good. Each guest had to pass the others used plate to the owner as she had no wait staff. The Murder Mystery was reall not worth the money, time spent with my family though was priceless! The rooms were smelly, dusty. The beds uncomfortable. I wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

My husband and I have done bed/breakfasts and for the most part had really good luck. However, after this trip my husband said no more B&Bs, we were to old to rough it.

Upon arrival we noticed that the paint job on the main house which is where you check in was peeling again, it had been painted without having been scraped. The inside was decorated and checkmated the outside paint job. Looked clean. We did not see any bedrooms. However, we were not in this building, which we knew beforehand. Not a problem we thought.

However, we drove to our location and had been told a key would be in the lock, which it was. It looked like an old unoccupied house. Not inviting.

The door was hard to open and you could see thru a crack between the door and the facing. So much for secure. A sign was laying on the staircase that said "pardon our renovating."

There was no "hello" welcoming, no fresh flowers, just a dusty, old smell that followed us up the stairs. We were originally supposed to have the downstairs because my husband is so tall and I told them that and they said fine, there was a hot tub on the first floor. Well, no first floor. No welcome, even though the owner's sister was in the other half "working".

Upstairs we found that the bathroom was at the top of the stairs. The one bedroom was to the left and we were lucky, we had a parlour. The antiques were nice but it all smelled moldy. The towels were setting on a chair at the top of the stairs and they looked like something I would throw away.

The bathroom had only one faucet that worked, the hot but I don't know that it ever got hot. The tub was a 4-footed old tub and it was about 4' long. There was no heat in the bathroom and we found another sign. This time laying on the floor by the tub asking us to put towels around the tub so if there were any splashes it would not drip down to the bed on the first floor.
We sponged off. Too cold.

I called and expressed my displeasure to the owner but she didn't seem to care.

As far as the bedroom it did have an elegant looking bed but the bedding looked quite used but serviceable. There was a TV. As far the parlour, well, it had a short uncomfortable antique couch, a dining table set for the next morning (don't know how long it was set). This room was actually wasted space for anyone to enjoy. No view but the house across the street. It would be better used as a parlour for meals for all the guests.

We went out to see a play but were concerned about the security of leaving our things at this place. After the play we went back and watched TV. Also, we saw a man standing behind our car which was parked just below our window and he left when he looked up and saw us looking down. At 11:30 PM sister (at least the car was the same) came back, but she was gone before our breakfast arrived.

We were told that our breakfast would be delivered. I questioned what was being served and was told Quiche, bacon, fruit, juice, coffee, and sweets.

Well, the next morning at 9:15 (they were on time) someone knocked on the door (guess they didn't have a key but since there is no privacy if that door is opened, I suppose they wanted to make sure everyone was dressed as none of the doors actually locked. They had locks, the slide kind, but they didn't work.

Anyway, Jack ran downstairs since we were waiting for our breakfast so we could eat and leave. Breakfast was at 9:15 AM. We had been up for hours.

When Jack opened the door there was no, "good morning, hope you slept well", nothing, he found a basket of food on the porch and saw someone getting into a car driving off.

He brought it upstairs. The coffee was instant and was already there. We figured that out. Breakfast was unappealing, and not worth $50. I say $50 as we stayed the night before at the Hampton Inn ten minutes away for $108 that included breakfast, had heat, nice, clean room, fluffy towels, etc. So, for $50 we got a wedge of Quiche (egg and something else), two very very thin pieces of bacon, 3 pieces of orange that were hot from the meal, an apple something and a sweet role. No toast. A bottle of apple juice. We left most of the sweets.

There was no warmth at this B&B. Not like we have had. In Oregon we had 7-grain pancakes, fresh milk, fresh fruit, endless brewed coffee, juice. Another place we had stuffed French Toast, with all the trimmings. In New Mexico we had fresh made granola, fresh made muffins, juice, coffee, milk, fresh fruit and a newspaper. There have been other places and none were still not this bad.

I was so disappointed as my husband love our time together and getting out and seeing the country. We fell in love with Guthrie and were really looking forward to this trip.

Stayed November 2008
ok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

When you arrive you will note that the inn does not look like it has been kept up, however this is a murder mystery and it is supposed to be haunted so it is all part of the atmosphere. If you are looking for a nice bed and breakfast with updated room features this is not for you. The rooms fit the idea of the whole experience. The owner does a nice job at crowd control and keeping everyone in character. As for the food the apetizers do seem to be frozen food as a previous review states however it was good. The salad was great, the soup was good as well, I did not care for the main course of the chicken but I felt that it was very good. The breakfast was wonderful!! If you are into murder mysteries then ths would be fun. The inns need to be upadated but keep in mind the house is supposed to be haunted.The pictures on their web site are very accurate for the rooms and their appearance so check them out before going there. The one thing I did not like was the animals in the house. I do not like living with animals and I sure don''t like to try to keep them from begging while I am eating. That is very gross to me, very personal opinion. I know there are many who do not mind cohabitating with animals but as for me it is gross. I like animals outside. Overall it was fun, just beware of the animals if that would bother you and the rooms are not nice. The food and entertainment was great!

Stayed September 2008
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

This place was Great!! The food was great and the company was even better. The owner was hilarious during the murder mystery and I felt like we got our moneys worth. The rooms are very cozy and are fairly priced when you consider all you get. Anyone who didn't have a good time at this place must be bent on not having a good time!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

I was shocked by how bad the food was. We went in a group of six (two had to back out hours before because their 3-month old baby was admitted to the emergency room and the owner offered no condolences, refund, or reschedule options - though, after hearing our experience, they wouldn't have wanted to reschedule). When we arrived, we eventually found the inn-keeper - it's not that she wasn't nice, it's just that she wasn't warm -she just seemed "over this whole thing". I was shocked because the owner says she moved from Santa Fe and seemed classy and has money, but she skimps too much on this inn trying to have too high of a profit margin.

Our "gourmet seven course dinner" started with appetizers (LITERALLY frozen taquitos, breaded cheese sticks, and mini quiches from Sam's - I'm ABSOLUTELY not exaggerating a bit!) I haven't seen or eaten a taquito in over twenty years and would have hoped to never again. I just checked Sam's Club's website and a 4 lb box of taquitos costs less than $12 and we didn't even eat an entire box. A 60-count box of mini-quiche costs less than $11 and there were probably 20 put out for the entire group (which didn't even get eaten!) A box of 55-65 cheese sticks costs less than $10, so the entire appetizer for 20 people cost about $12 and was disgusting. Dinner was salad, prepared/boxed soup, cornish game hen (4 hens for less than $13), frozen veggies (5 lb bag for less than $6) that were soggy when prepared, and rice. IF the game hen had better accompaniements, it would have been "OK", but as is, it was no less than inedible. Dessert was cheesecake - not bad, but not great. I understand that homemade cheesecake is difficult to make and look pretty, so understand that this was purchased already made - a 12-portion frozen cheesecake at Sam's costs less than $11, so that's less than $20 to feed all 19 of us. Remember that we bring our own alcohol so that's now where the upcharge is. Breakfast the next morning did start with coffee and OJ. Then, we had two pieces of bacon, a slice of quiche, one orange slice, a mini cinnamon roll, and a serving of an apple crumble/streusel. Throughout our entire stay (cocktail/appetizer, dinner and breakfast), the ONLY food item that was not frozen, pre-made, packaged or preserved was our one orange slice each. Don't misunderstand that we each got an orange (one whole piece of fresh fruit), we each got one orange SLICE!. In researching these prices, I've learned where she got her inspiration for the lie on the website of "gourmet" food - the boxes of mini cinnamon rolls at Sam's are "gourmet" and a box of $16 costs less than $6.00. The rooms were not nice - one of the rooms that is downstairs and has been converted to a room clearly took a closet and turned it into a shower stall as the "shower" is not even in the bathroom, but in the bedroom. The honeymoon/wedding suite was spacious, but not prettily done. It's a shame - I LOVE historic buildings, good food, unique entertainment. This idea was fabulous, but I literally wouldn't go back if it was free. I know that this has been written up and my in-laws have been years ago and said the food was better. My mom has read past articles that praising the inn. I think the likely cause is that the owner has likely grown tired after 20+ years of owning this house and entertaining. I do assume that the quality at one time was better, but I'm totally embarrassed that this is a landmark/tour spot/representation of Oklahoma. We have come so far in our 100 years and are so pleased to have friends and family come visit our state and OKC and witness their great shock with pleasure at what a great "gem" we have here that is so contrary to anyone's expectations of Oklahoma. I hope that her standing as an Oklahoma landmark is reconsidered because it literally is embarrassing. As far as the mystery, I'm sure it's creative, but she needs to have multiple stories to accommodate various group sizes because our story had 40+ characters and we were 20, so every one of us read two parts and many read three. It was too hard to follow, and the killers were not even present (the players didn't show up, so another character read a brief clue about them that no one picked up on), so we didn't get many clues, etc from them. I don't want to take away from her creativity as a writer/creator, because I think the stories could be neat. I just think that she needs a refresher to excite her about this whole gig again. Maybe it's a fluke that we happened to book a weekend that was all Sam's frozen food, but I just can't imagine that when we have no recent extreme weather that would preclude her from grocery shopping and cooking.

• Liked — Nothing - the best part was leaving except we were so angry that we had just been scammed!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Stone Lion Inn? Share your experiences!