“Needs some more work” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in El Reno
Carrollton, Texas
“Needs some more work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is a newer HIE. It is very contemporary and the colors are lively and modern. We were a little surprised when we tried to lock our door and found that the dead bolt did not line up with the hole so it would not lock. We were in room 225. The secondary lock works well and we felt secure enough but this problem needs work.

The bathroom sink is a lovely vessel sink - but it had someone else's toothpaste on the outside and some dried black stuff. I cleaned it because there was no one there except the girl at the front desk. And, there was a sticky spot on the bathroom floor. Housekeeping needs to up their game a bit here.

The alarm clock went off at midnight with very loud latino music. Hard to get relaxed again after that.

A storm blew in. The windows do not fit well because we heard the wind whistle all night long. Now, I know that the wind was blowing and that makes the windows whistle. But at my house, when we put in new windows, the whistling stopped - the windows are of a poor quality and were not installed well.

We asked for a room on the top floor away from the highway. We got a middle floor as close to the highway as you can get.

I don't know if we would stay here again or not - but I think we would not.

Room Tip: Do not take room 225.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear DLemon,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orrville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Our stay in this hotel was pleasant. It was clean and well decorated. It is much more modern than other Holiday Inns we have stayed in. It is very technologically up to date. We have experienced friendlier staff and better breakfast at other hotels though. We have eaten many a hotel breakfast, and this one wasn't the greatest. Some of the food was cold and poor quality.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear CookeFam4,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service and breakfast you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We would like to follow up with you and obtain some additional information and have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Adrian D
Sand Springs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I travel ... a lot. So I have some experience with motels and I can easily say they spent a lot of money to give this motel a sleek modern look. It is interesting. A little like a Vegas cat house ... but interesting none the less. I appreciate all the plug ins for my modern devices ... any appreciation ends there.

Here are my real thoughts.............

1. Get there early ... they only have enough parking for about half the rooms ...hope you don't get towed by parking off site.

2. Tell your lazy, uncaring, surly staff to get off their butts and at least act like they care; even though they obviously don't. Like the word “surly”? …. It is accurate but nicer than what I’m thinking. Wait, I’m not sure it quite reflects their rude indifference but I’m trying to be nice.

3. Fix the freekin TVs! Every time I turn on my TV I have to go to the lobby desk and "borrow" the “official” remote to get it to work because the cable converter is not synced to the TV. What a pain in the you know what!!!! FIX IT! Heaven forbid your staff would do anything about it. It seems half the hotel guests are in the lobby with this same problem. And don't think this issue is anything new as I heard this from previous guests that won’t stay here again due to this (and other) issues. Wish I had talked to them before I made my reservations.

3A. Fix the freekin TVs! As I have heard from most guests ……. The volume control on the remote doesn’t work on most of the TVs. Having to get up to adjust the TV volume on the TV all the time is not the worst experience in life but in a non-third world country at over $100.00 a night… somehow you expect more. Wait…I’ve stayed in third world countries….and their TV remotes worked. Imagine that.

4. I've eaten breakfast in a lot of motels .... and yours is officially the worst. A bunch of us strangers in the breakfast room voted on it ... and it was unanimous.

5. Rooms .... not nasty...not clean. Of course the two condoms I found under my phone might have jaded my opinion....OK...perhaps nasty IS correct. REALLY? CONDOMS? Enough said. No wait ... YUCK ..now enough said.

6. Ran out of kleenex in my room two days ago ... don't know why but I was somehow disappointed I didn't get more. Can't explain why I had any hope of getting more. I doubt your cleaning people care more about your guests than your front desk people care….which is NOT AT ALL! (See #5 above)

7. Did I mention the breakfast sucks? The OJ was good but the cranberry juice? Water with red food coloring. Absolutely no taste at all. How is that possible? I guess that is better than tasting spoiled milk. And just how does your motel manager keep a straight face while telling multiple guests the milk is good and there have been no complaints when multiple guests are saying the same thing ……… the milk is SPOILED! Wait…..the straight face trick was one of the better aspects of this trip.

I was traveling with a group and they had other various complaints…but I won’t list those ….. I hope they will do their own reviews. I won’t take credit for their discomforts though I know they had my same complaints and a few more.

I know that I agree with other people in my company that come to this area regularly …. I will drive an extra 15 minutes to the next town to avoid staying here. This is undoubtedly the worst experience I have ever had in a motel …. at any price…..and being a name brand motel somehow seems to make it worse.

Avoid this place ... you'll be glad you did..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear zeeb10,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your overall experience at our property. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It sounds like we fell short of your expectations. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to room amenities and cleanliness, the quality of breakfast served and parking facility. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings of our staff. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously. We sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

We look forward to hear from you and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband wanted me to slam the HI, but only for the way the manager handled a billing issue. In all fairness it is a decent hotel with clean rooms, friendly staff, and a decent breakfast. It is easy access from the interstate and close to restaurants and a super Wal Mart. I would stay here again if I needed to.
The issue with the billing. We used points for our two night stay, but when we checked out they had charged us for one night stay. The front desk clerk explained that only the manager could reverse charges and he would be in a few hours. We were still going to be in town for a while longer and would come back. We came back four hours later only to be informed the manager would not be in today. My husband asked the clerk to call the manager (she did) and the manager informed us he would take care of it tomorrow. Not good enough for my husband. Long story short (actually took upwards of 45 minutes) the clerk via the phone to manager was able to reverse the charges. She was very nice and she did nothing wrong. That is the only issue and it was resolved only by husband not backing down.
Like I said this was the only issue and I would stay there again. We were not recognized for being platinum, but that's okay. By the way, the manager and or his family owns this HI hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear tundra1999,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. I am delighted you like our clean rooms. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guest to stay. I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate incident relating to the service received from one of our hotel staff. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when dealing with our employees. Your comments will help us improve our services and offer a great experience for our guest. I would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Pikeville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is by far nicer than any Hampton or Hilton I have ever stayed in. Check in was very simple, very easy access from interstate. Nice steakhouse near the parking lot. The lady at the desk was Very friendly! She upgraded me to a suite for being a priority member. The room was Awesome! I could live here :-)

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Providence, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I typically choose a Holiday Inn Express as my choice of hotels. This is the best room I have ever had in one. I reserved an executive king. This is the most techno up to date room I have ever had in any hotel. My only complaint - I was not recognized fof my platinum status upon check in. I still give it 5 stars.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
El Reno, Oklahoma, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The front desk couldn't find our reservation numerous times when we called or came by--including our guest when he arrived to check in, or when we came by to pay out. No one seemed to know what was going on. They didn't know if they could take a check from a church, or if we could leave a fruit basket in our guest's room. We will be using a different hotel for our guests in the future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear musicmaker1701,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Karen C
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Reno? Share your experiences!