“Great food and service!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 269 Restaurants in Edmond
Cuisines: Seafood
“Great food and service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stumbled upon this place on a Friday during Lent. Saw the crowds heading in so had to check it out! Catfish and green tomatoes awesome. Catfish was cooked perfect. Very light and buttery with a crunchy well fried crust!

GUTHRIE
“It is closed(out of business)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I live 5 miles from this place and drive by it often. I have never eaten there because a number of my friends said it was dirty and not well kept(hole in the wall), probably why it went out of business!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oklahoma City
“They are back!!10603 n I35 service rd. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was way disappointed when they shut down their Edmond location. Now they are back with new owners and location in Oklahoma City.
10603 N. Interstate 35 service road just south of Frontier City. The old owners trained the new owner and gave them their family recipe, so it's just as great as before!!!

“Closed down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went on bike ride expecting this place to be open. They have closed down and don't appear to be opening anytime soon.

Blue Ash, Ohio
“Fast and Lots of It”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The thirty mile trip to the Steak and Catfish Barn restaurant in Edmonds, OK, is one I made that was definitely driven solely by it’s appearance on Man vs. Food. Judged on it’s looks, this is a place I would normally just drive on by. The exterior is oxidized corrugated metal, the signage looks amateurish to say the least, and two of the employees, one being the cook, were hanging around out front smoking when I pulled up. Once inside the dim and dimly lit restaurant, I was greeted by a nice enough young lady who sat me in the main dining area. This windowless room sits in the back of the building, although there is what appears to have been an added-on room in front that is much brighter, owing to a set of large windows. I was given a menu, and I ordered a Coke. One minute later (the restaurant had only three other customers in it at 5:20 p.m.), the waitress returned with my drink, and I placed my order. You just can’t come to the “Steak and Catfish Barn” and not have the catfish. I ordered the platter, which comes with two sides. I chose the coleslaw for one side and fried okra for the other. Ninety seconds later, yes, ninety seconds later, the waitress arrived with my meal. Time wise, I was amazed, and I have to admit, a little bit worried. I have no idea how you cook and serve a fresh order of catfish and fried okra in only ninety seconds. However, when I dug in, I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

The catfish, of which there were five two-ounce breaded filets, came out nice and hot. Coated in a slightly spicy cornmeal breading, the fish was moist, tender, flaky and flavorful. It had a nice, but not overpowering, fishiness to it. The Okra was a little cool, a little chewy, and not as hot as the fish. I found it and it’s breading to be a little bland. The coleslaw was good, but not great. It turned out to be not as creamy as it had first appeared. There was a nice little vinegary bite to it, but the dressing was somewhat thin. My order was accompanied by two small hush puppies. The puppies were flavorful and hot inside, but a little overcooked and tough on the outside.

The waitress brought out a large squeeze bottle of what seemed to be homemade tartar sauce, and it was delicious. It was a little sweet, a little salty, and it went perfectly with the fish. This was much appreciated, as the fish is the star here. None of that “one or two little packets” and an Oliver Twist-ish request of “May I have some more, please” going on here. In the condiment holder on the table beside the obligatory ketchup, were a variety of hot sauces. There was Tabasco, Frank’s, and a local brand of Pepper sauce that I found to be the perfect choice for dribbling on top of the okra. Not too hot, but with a really nice kick to it. Deserts are available: Peach Cobbler, Apple and Pecan Pie, But I was already full.

I paid in cash, and it took a surprising amount of time for my waitress to return with the change. She was in the middle of cobbling an assortment of tables and chairs together for a party of fourteen that had just arrived, and was shuffling back and forth to accommodate all. Like the building itself, the furniture and furnishings are rather mismatched and don’t seem to follow any particular theme. There is a sign on the table saying that “New tables will be here soon! Advertising on the tabletop is still available! Get yours today!”. The S&C Barn also has a couple of types of barbecue and hot sauces available for sale as take home items, as well as T-shirts that reference the Man vs. Food challenge.

The Steak and Catfish Barn was interesting to go to once. The price was fair, the food was reasonable. But unless you happen to be driving by, or you are a reality food show follower, I wouldn’t go too far out of your way to go here. It’s just not that special.

Oh, and for all of you Man vs. Food fans out there – Coach Vervank came back and beat Adam’s 2010 record of 29 catfish filets by eating a whopping 45 of them. No word on what his two sides were.

• Visited November 2012