“Hotel would not refund room when major snow storm was moving in” 1 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Duncan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wichita, Kansas
“Hotel would not refund room when major snow storm was moving in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We'd booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Duncan to visit family over the holidays. The weather reported a major storm was moving to the area which would prevent us from getting home in time to get back to work in Kansas. We were unable to drive down to meet family. My sister's husband had a critical deadline because of dialysis--and the storm would have prevented his timely return for treatment in Texas. The hotel refused to refund the cost of both rooms.

We will not stay here in the future. Understanding of your client is an important feature for any hotel. They kept the cost of the rooms. Even offering a credit for the future would have shown some good faith since they may have booked the unused rooms to someone else while they kept the money.

They kept the money. They lost this customer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sharla B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duncan, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Gina B - Thank you for letting us know how we can be of better service. It sounds like you booked either our BOOK EARLY AND SAVE RATE or through a third party booking site. When booking a reservation through either one of those channels requires a confirmation from the guest an understanding of the terms and conditions: Reservation requires full prepayment for the entire stay at the time of booking, and is non-refundable. Payment is charged to your credit card between the time of booking and day of arrival.

We believe in maintaining the integrity of the terms and conditions of discounted rates. We make a commitment to charge you the discounted price as agreed upon at time of reservation and to provide you with exceptional service while you are here. We avoid making judgment on why a reservations are cancelled by simply maintaining the booking rules. We want to provide all of our guest the same quality service with intergrity every time. Whether you book with us during you next visit to Duncan or with another brand I encouage you to reserve your room directly with the hotel so you can ensure you are reserving a reservation that allows cancellations and/or changes. I hope this information helps. If I can be of further service to you and your family during your next trip to Duncan, please let me know by contacting the hotel directly and asking the General Manager. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel has opened around October 2012, and I got to stay there in November for a two-weeks business trip. I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The double Queen-size room was spacious, clean, and the bed comfortable with a selection of soft and firm pillows, a fridge and micro-wave, and a clean bathroom with large sink, and shower over bathtub with excellent water pressure and temperature.
The hotel itself offers complimentary continental breakfast with some variety, incl. an automatic pancake maker, a gym, a free launderette, pay-for same-day return dry-cleaning, a gym and a pool with sauna and hot tub. While the launderette is definitely a bit small for the size of the hotel, it was quite easy to find space in the (also not huge) gym, and the pool is mostly used on weekends.
The staff is friendly and helpful. I was offered to have my laundry done for me after having trouble finding an empty machine in the launderette and leaving for the weekend while running out of clean clothes.
The hotel further offers (I think two) function rooms of different size, a small convenience shop, a large parking area and free fairly quick internet access.
The only thing that could be better is the food situation. Currently, except for breakfast, order-in is the recommended option, although there are several restaurants not too far away, but this should get a lot better with the newly built Applebee's opening right in front, realistically some time in Dec, 2012.
So I was very happy with this hotel and gladly recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the gym and pool get an increasingly nice view on the neighbouring golf course.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sharla B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duncan, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear fartraveller2001 -

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our facility. We were barely getting opened when you stayed with us and I am so glad to report we are even more on track! Applebee's Neighborhood Grill is now open and comfortable walking distance from the hotel. Come see us again and enjoy our amenities. Thank you again for your business! STAY CHOOSY!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I said he a few weeks ago to visit family and from 6 am to 6 pm there was constant construction going on. It was very loud and distracting when all I wanted was some good rest. I feel really bad for the people that live around there with all the noise and commotion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mark -

Thank you for letting us know about the circumstances of your visit. I sincerely apologize for the construction noise going on across from the hotel. I am glad to announce that the new Applebee's Neighborhood Grill/Restaurant is now opened. Our guest are now in walking distance of the newest restaurant in town while staying at the newest hotel in town. We hope you will give us another try to provide you over-the-top service during your next visit to Duncan. Thank you again!
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful, brand new HI Express. However, I will never stay there again. When I turned on the TV in my room, CNN came on. When I want liberal propaganda I will seek it out myself. I do not want it shoved in my face. Do they really think everyone likes CNN, or wants it on their TV screen after a long day of business travel? I sure don't. Too bad, because this is really an excellent property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jack B -

Thank you SOOOO much for bringing this issue to our attention. I have to admit when we opened the hotel we programmed all television to turn on to a "news channel". We never dreamed that choosing one particular channel over another would have such an impact on a guest experience. After hearing how this affected your stay with us, we have programmed all televisions to turn on to a neutral channel: TV GUIDE! We hope this will help you and our future guest to start your experience with us on a positive note. Thank you again for sharing this information. If we can be of further service to you, please let us know.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Our room had a beautiful view of the golf course located behind the hotel. The hotel was one of the nicest expresses I've seen, and the bed was very comfy. I was shocked to see a large city type of hotel in Duncan, loved the friendly staff and P.S. the pancakes were yummy! :)

• Stayed October 2012
wwrandy -

Thank you for telling us about your experience with us. Our trained staff is just as excited today as we were the first day we opened to continue providing exception service. We hope to see you again during your next trip to Duncan. Thank you again. If we can be of further service, please us know!
Kerrville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Brand new (9/12) with a blend of casual & modern decor....very comfortable & welcoming! The location is in the heart of the town and accessible to everything. An Applebee's restaurant is being built on the premise. The criteria I look for in a quality hotel: comfortable bed w/ soft sheets, towels plush, shower head flow and they were all there!! Never before seen.....The breakfast includes a unique pancake maker that with the push of a button...makes a hot pancake that rolls out like a pizza oven!! Indoor pool with exercise area. The folks are also really nice and helpful! When I return to Duncan, I will no doubt stay there every time!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear dylina697 -

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we made your STAY REFRESH experience during your visit last October. If you liked our pillows then, soon you will be able to enjoy are new brand standard pillows and plush amenities! We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your business!

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duncan? Share your experiences!