“A wonderful surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 3 Attractions in Davis
Type: Parks, State Parks, Waterfalls, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful park in the heart of the Arbuckle Mountains.
Frisco, Texas
“A wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

This is a beautiful little river that runs through a beautiful little mountain range in the middle of Oklahoma. We went in early May and the area was lush with flowers and new green leaves and not at all crowded. The Falls were amazing and the hiking and mountain climbing around them was incredible. The water is clear and the swimming was stimulating if a little chilly - despite it being 85 degrees that day, the water temp was C-O-L-D. We stayed in the Arbuckle Family Lodges about five miles east of the Park and it was perfect - a nice cabin in the woods near the lake. We found them on the Davis Chamber of Commerce website. The whole area is nice, rural and down-home with friendly people. You can't beat the barbeque at Smoking Joe's in Davis, and the home cooking at Coree's Doughtery Diner in Davis is the best anywhere (weekdays only). The kids loved the nature hikes at the Chickasaw Nat. Rec. Area and really loved riding ATVs at the Cross Bar Ranch. Thrills & Chills on Wheels in Davis rented us the ATVS and made that a great experience. We had only one disappointment - Arbuckle Boat Rentals on Lake Arbuckle couldn't get it together to rent us any canoes or kayaks on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and they were downright rude about it too. Don't waste your time with them. Also, save room for those fried pies at the place right off I-35 at Exit 51. A great getaway for a long weekend, especially if you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

keller, TX
“fun in the sun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

This place is fascinating if you actually know the history and significant of it.
I saw some teens playing around And such. but youll find that at any public place.
Its not going to be a Beautiful swim resort. Its perfect for young adults, I didnt see to much older people. Im guessing theres too much climbing and hiking involved.
Its beautiful. Im going again and were taking our son this time. Its great distance from DFW. and we saw ALOT of Texas license plates. So us fellow texans are welcome!

Texas
13 attraction reviews
“My November review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

We have been to Turner Falls several times over the years - always in the summer to as late as mid September - we had never been in November. My daughter wanted to go for her 10th birthday. We got a couple of rooms at the Turner Falls Inn (just North of the entrance) then spent the day at the park. The weather this day was BEAUTIFUL! High 70s, sunny and simply lovely.

When we arrived at around noon we were surprised that there was a line to get in - the lady at the gate said it was a surprise rush that just happened. I guess everyone thought it was a lovely day.

Even though it was cool the kids stayed in the water ALL DAY! My picture is my Daughter and her friends - you can sense their joy. They caught tadpoles, crawdads and little minnows with nets and kept very busy. They were muddy and wet by the end of the day but they were so very happy. We had 3 other children with us and they talked so much about it to their parents they will be back.

It was explained that since it is spring water the water temp is consistent. The water lever was up a little more than when we visit in Summer but it wasn't deep where we stay. We find we are happier staying away from the swimming holes. The kids don't like not being able to see bottom and we usually prefer a place with shade. This time we found a sunny spot but stayed in one place for the day.

We did visit the falls to just see and the kids loved climbing up to the castle. Imaginations go WILD at the castle and we heard all sorts of stories about what was found. This is heaven for 8 and 10 year olds.

Again - I can highly recommend Turner Falls. It is nature. There are uneven spots, drop offs, "critters", etc. If you want a perfect river go to a man made one. If you want nature this is a great place to be.

Grand Prairie Texas
“Wonderfully freedom!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have had both the crowded and uncrowded experences in this park. During both seasons you can find a exclusive place to camp. The park is so big!! On labor day in 07 we couldnt find a place to park our popup camper, so we drove through the park... Still nothing! so we found a nice place (unmarked) and almost put the camper in place when the park rangers came up on their atv's. I thought i was going to be in trouble. BUT!! They said "no problem!" and got off their 4 wheelers and helped me back the camper in! Here i was thinking they were gonna tell me to move on, but low and behold they helped me place my rig! (and the view was gorgeous). The next day alot of the crowd moved along and we got an even better place. Alot of people are complaining about their non enforcement of rules (or rules they think should be in place). I believe that is what makes this place a dimond in the rough! The authourities are there... but instead of damming the next guy, they offer help when they see it. I truly love this park and will always come back year after year. The castles are beautiyful, although they are aging, I would rather them be aged than "restored". We dont have any children yet, so maby our judgement may be different than others. When we are blessed with children, one of the first camping trips will be at Turner Falls Park!! When there are lots of people camping they should clean the trash a little more. As a fellow camper I dont leave my trash, dog poo, or water bottles to be cleaned up! The next camper should feel the same (alot of trashy people visit this great park) It is beauityful!!!!!!!!

Lewisville, Texas
“2nd Time - Much Better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

This is our second time visiting Turner Falls. The first I vowed never to return, but that was in the middle of Summer, there were so many people it was suffocating. However, this trip we had a fantastic time! We arrived on 9/18/09, the gate attendant was welcoming and friendly, the park was quiet and only had a small amount of people. The park was clean and well maintained.

We spent the majority of our time in the upper blue pools above the main falls, it was quiet and private. A lot of trash from high water earlier, so we got plastic bags and the kids and I had a good time going around and filling up the trash bags and it felt good too, since this is such a beautiful place.

I Certainly suggest going in off season over a weekend trip, you will have a much better experience. All the other reviews, sum up why.

It is a good idea if you are traveling in an RV, that you have a 50amp to 30 amp adapter, since many of the sites have 50 amp plugs for only a 30 amp breaker. This will make sure you wont have to search around looking for a 30 amp plug site. We saw 2 people park and then have to move after walking around the area looking at all the empty spots for a 30 amp service. Fortunately we were prepared and had one, so we could stay at the site we liked.

Been to Turner Falls Park? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Turner Falls Park, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.