“Don't even THINK about this horrid PLACE!” 1 of 5 stars

Trade Winds Inn
2128 West Gary Blvd, Clinton, OK 73601   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clinton
Anthonystjoseph
“Don't even THINK about this horrid PLACE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stopped in this place because I couldn't find the EconoLodge and was really tired. The daughter was going to let me see a room ( I always check) and then the mom came from the back as they clearly live there and said, "NO" I couldn't see a room! I was in shock and said okay. I walked back in after leaving and asked if I did something to offend her and she said, "No". I went to the convenience store a block away and THEY said it was a horrible hotel with a horrible reputation. Clearly others who asked to see rooms must have said no thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Having stayed here once before a few years ago when we had a super room with a Jacuzzi for a really good price, I was willing to give it a go again, despite the poor reviews, as its location opposite the Route 66 Museum and next to an Italian restaurant is very convenient.
Our 2-bedded room was in the single-storey section, which can be useful, as there's no chance of being kept awake by people in the room above. The décor was a bit "tired" looking, but there was enough space for our bags and the usual amenities which you'd expect in a moderately-priced motel. The beds were very comfortable and supportive, but one of the main lights didn't work. Also, when I asked at reception for a couple of hand towels (as there were only two bath towels in the room) the Indian lady seemed to misunderstand, as she just gave me two face cloths! We had a good night's sleep, but were disappointed to find that there was hardly anything left for breakfast by 8.30am - considering that it was supposed to be on offer until 9.30 am.
Although it appeared that the rear block of the property was being used for some social housing, this wasn't a problem, apart from the fact that there was an unnecessary amount of litter. If the owners could just address some of these basic problems and apply a little "TLC", I am sure that they would attract more travellers. The restaurant next door was a real bonus, with a good selection of meals, beers and wines.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have a soft spot for dive motels. The Route 66 mystique is defined in part by kitchsy little way stations that give bad taste a good name. The Route 66 Museum is literally across the street so you would expect that the Trade Winds would stand out as a shining example of the little motel that attracts weary travelers and makes them happy it did. Their business card boasts "Sleep Where Elvis Slept" and I've seen it advertised on their parking lot sign, though it was not up there when I passed through in December. I have to believe that Elvis's room was nothing like the one I was in or their motto would be "Sleep Where Elvis Left." I am grungier than the King was so I took up the challenge of staying the night.

Looking at other reviews for the Trade Winds, I feel bad about piling on but I give my one star rating with love. I really do have a weakness for dumpy motels. They're so much fun to talk about.

The front door to my room was nicely dented as one might expect. I figured it was done on departure as a review of someone's lodging experience. I requested a non-smoking room and I believe it technically was but the musty odor was so powerful that tobacco could have been drowned in it.

The interior highlights!
A piece of particle board was affixed to a gap above the door frame. The door frame had a security chain hanging from it but there was no track on the door to attach it to. So it was a decorative chain basically. The tangerine accent wall had multiple white scratches on it and a large hole stuffed with socks, apparently for insulation. I'm not sure if credit should go to motel management or to a previous lodger but someone was trying to be proactive. The still life artwork from the 1950s matched the bedspreads which also probably hail from the 50s. More holes and craters in the yellow wall facing the beds and violent gouge marks on the side of the dresser/TV stand. The carpet had never been vacuumed as far as I could tell and featured a large piece of electrical tape that covered a tear in the fabric I assume. Unless it was decorative -- hard to be sure. The walls in the bath and under sink area were dinged up, peeling, bubbled, scribbled over with pen marks, and had holes where bolts used to be before they were pulled out from their anchors. The complimentary Kleenex dispenser had also been yanked out of its wall slot. There was one hanger on the hanger bar. I guess the others became souvenirs. There was a fist-sized hole in the bathroom door and grimy bath tub with hair in it. The ceiling light fixtures in the bedroom and the bathroom were both uncovered, just exposed bulbs. I had concerns about sleeping in these beds but fatigue caught up with me and I bit the bullet. The sheets were probably a 50 thread count, smooth as fine sandpaper. The heat was quite good though and so was the wifi access. So hey, there's that. Make sure to ask about their great weekly rates!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

The hotel was horrible! Towels was dirty and I was wondering if they washed the bedclothes or just left them after the previous guest (guests?). The air conditioning was working so loudly that it was impossible to sleep and we had to switch it on and off a few times during the night. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Run! Run away!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Whilst on the Route 66 journey across the States, took guide book advice about this motel stayed in 4 times by Elvis with a preserved shrine-like room in his honour. Turned up and confronted by a very ordinary exceptionally smelly reception...a curry odour, which I usually like, but this was old and stale. Not particularly inviting and a tad dearer than other options, Elvis appeared to have been long forgotten....if he stayed 4 times it must have had something then...it ain't now

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

The rooms smelled like moth balls so strong we could not stay. the sheets had burn holes and so did the pillow cases. staines on the comforter. Management did not speak good english.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel as we were travelling through on Route 66 Litte do we know what awaited us when we checked into the room unfortunatly for 2 nights.
Cockroaches on the floor in bathroom & toilet, sink in bathroom flooded to the top when water was flushed from the above unit, with smelly drainage water. Terrible Smell in room every time you returned, pillows terrible, had no stuffing in them, Breakfast is a disgrace, microwave filthy and the cupboards where you got your plates etc had no doors on and were filthy inside. Outside there was huge generator running 24hrs a day at a fairground right next door to our room, there was no let up, needless to say we got no sleep and checked out very early on our second night never to return. Please don;t anyone ever waste the time staying there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Trade Winds Inn? Share your experiences!