“DIRTY! DON'T STAY!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clinton
Warsaw, Poland
“DIRTY! DON'T STAY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

The hotel was horrible! Towels was dirty and I was wondering if they washed the bedclothes or just left them after the previous guest (guests?). The air conditioning was working so loudly that it was impossible to sleep and we had to switch it on and off a few times during the night. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Run! Run away!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Whilst on the Route 66 journey across the States, took guide book advice about this motel stayed in 4 times by Elvis with a preserved shrine-like room in his honour. Turned up and confronted by a very ordinary exceptionally smelly reception...a curry odour, which I usually like, but this was old and stale. Not particularly inviting and a tad dearer than other options, Elvis appeared to have been long forgotten....if he stayed 4 times it must have had something then...it ain't now

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

The rooms smelled like moth balls so strong we could not stay. the sheets had burn holes and so did the pillow cases. staines on the comforter. Management did not speak good english.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel as we were travelling through on Route 66 Litte do we know what awaited us when we checked into the room unfortunatly for 2 nights.
Cockroaches on the floor in bathroom & toilet, sink in bathroom flooded to the top when water was flushed from the above unit, with smelly drainage water. Terrible Smell in room every time you returned, pillows terrible, had no stuffing in them, Breakfast is a disgrace, microwave filthy and the cupboards where you got your plates etc had no doors on and were filthy inside. Outside there was huge generator running 24hrs a day at a fairground right next door to our room, there was no let up, needless to say we got no sleep and checked out very early on our second night never to return. Please don;t anyone ever waste the time staying there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I was really wanting to save some money, so I avoided all the chain motels out on I-40. The grounds, to be sure, are pretty off-putting with the empty shell of a pool. But, hey, for $40 the room was really pretty nice. You could see the architectural elements of a '60s modern room like something off the New Jersey Turnpike circa 1965, which I thought was kind of cool,, and even a couple of upholstered white chairs that looked to be about that old. This must have really been a pretty nice place 50 years ago. But the carpet and paint and furniture were all new. Other than a dead cricket on the bathroom floor, the room was clean. There was a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. There was even a Jacuzzi tub, although it was up around 100 degrees that day, so I sure wasn't interested, And you gotta love that Elvis once stayed here. In fact, his room was the one right over mine. No, it's not the nicest place I've ever stayed, but I seriously found nothing wrong with it. If you're a Route 66/roadside Americana/nostalgia traveler, this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Greenville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

very old; in poor repair; dirty; scared to sit on bed or stand in shower. laid towels down in bottom of tub to stand on. couldn't sleep b/c room had 2 doors and on both the dead bolt lok was broken off!! creepy...it advertises that this is where Elvis liked to stay...well maybe they haven't done any work or cleaning on it since then!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Over the years I've stayed at many hotel on vacation or business, all across the country and overseas. For all that means, this hotel has got to be the worst. If you were holding a course on how to not run a motel, or business, this place would host it.

I arrived and checked in around 3p on a Saturday afternoon in July during a vacation trip up Route 66. I made reservations over the phone, but the clerk had no record of it. No problem, since the place was literally empty. She found me a room on the first floor, then we spent several minutes on how much it cost. That done, I paid and went to the room.

The room itself was ok, fairly clean, etc. Being hot out, however, mean't the room was very hot and during my whole stay overnight, the a/c never got the room cool. Big problem in this hot and muggy part of the county.

I took sometime and drove around town, then stopped in at Del's next door. The place was crowded, which proved there are people in Clinton, and I sat there for about 20 minutes and never even was given a menu. I got up and left, headed down the Old 66 to Weathersford (sp) and ate at a great BBQ place there.

I also took in the Route 66 Museum across from the hotel. It was nice, and I recommend it.

That night at the hotel was a trip. The parking lot outside of my room seemed to be the assembly point for noisy teens and a staging area for drinking parties in town. All night long cars and people gathered there, very loudly, to drink and carry on. Around 1a, a fight broke out which ended up in front of my door. Not asleep anyway, the fight went on for several minutes. To top that off, the youth of Clinton were using the pool area to drink and party, well, that only added to my captive state.

This went on until about 4a. What surprised me was that the police never came by, although I called the front desk several times. I was as if the area was designated a Youth Drinking Area and was let be.

That said, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I really should close and build again, or just close for good. I can see why I was probably the only guest that night. Maybe the locals and others knew the place was a real hole.

I got up, if you want to call it that, and checked out at 5a. I was anxious to get on the road and head out to my next stop in Gallup, NM. That night I stayed at the El Rancho Hotel, but that's another story.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo

Been to Trade Winds Inn? Share your experiences!