“People have ridiculous expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Chickasha Hotel
2101 South 4th Street, Chickasha, OK 73018-6801 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chickasha
Austin, Texas
“People have ridiculous expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I read all the reviews, good and bad and still decided to stay, hopefully my review will help offset some of the other negative ones. We had none of the problems others seemed to have had and reading some of the reviews, the expectations seem wildly off. This isn't the Ritz :) but we didn't expect it, we expected clean and the reasonable price. We booked through Hotels.com and the price was the primary reason. Decent hotels are limited in Chickasha and it seemed silly to pay over a hundred dollars a night for a Holiday Inn!! We just spent a weekend on the River Walk in San Antonio, using Hotwire and only paid a little over a hundred for a 5 star hotel on the river. The issues the other travelers had seemed to me to be their set of expectations. This was a trip for a family funeral. We explained our need for connecting rooms, people checking in at different times from different places, etc. We are all very picky about cleanliness, the bathrooms were clean, the shower head was great!! the bed linens were white which allowed me to check for the dreaded bedbug issue and the towels were decent thickness. Otherwise, this is not a new hotel, so don't expect the latest and greatest in decor, but we had no issues with anything really. Well, not true. The AC is strange but this was June so we weren't hot. It seems the old central system is kaput so they have small freestanding units vented into the old system. Adequate but as I said, it's only June and in the 80s. The food is fine and we loved the covered poolside area which allowed local family to visit out of the elements, namely the Oklahoma wind!! I can only speak for ourselves, but our rooms poolside were just fine and I gave this hotel visit a 4 star based on what is available in town, the way the staff handled us and the no problem stay.

Room Tip: I always choose upstairs so no one is above me if possible. This hotel doesn't have an elevator...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Our vehicle broke down about 10 miles outside of Chickasha OK at 5 am during our travel between Texas back to Kansas, so we had to have a tow truck bring us into town. Our tow truck driver suggested coming to the restaurant inside the best western for their breakfast buffet and lounge area for a few hours until the auto shop opened up. Our waitress Leesa was one of the sweetest, most helpful, and friendy people we could have come across this early in the mornin in our distress. We didnt stay in a room but we did eat the food. It was a delicious, home style cooked breakfast buffet that hit the spot and made the challenge of our upcoming travels a bit easier to deal with. Very grateful of their hospitality and generosity!

• Stayed May 2012
Murphys, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

First of all, the 1 star is strictly for the quality of the food. Otherwise it would have been zero stars. The breakfast buffet and the dinner, especially the Chicken Fried Steak were of excellent quality. But that is where it ends.

We were assigned Rm 124 which is a outside room facing the parking lot. When we opened the door, first thing we noticed was that it was quite cold even though the thermostat was in the Heat position with the lever on Max. We tried a variety of settings and always got cold air. Called the front desk and asked the problem be fixed before we returned from our day out. Also noticed a dirty, stained carpet, parts with tuft coming up, but figured we could live with that. Got back to find same problem with cold air. Went to front desk. Now they informed me on hot days, they turn the boiler off so only cold air was available. So we spent the night turning off the air entirely to warm the room, then turning it back on to cool the room. And of course that night several Harley MC owners had rooms close by so we also discovered that our windows and walls kept out very little outside noise. Next morning asked for an inside room for our second night. Only stayed because my cousin was coming to have dinner with us from a farm 40 miles away. The morning clerk said no problem. Have our luggage ready to go and it would be transferred to our new room. Both my wife and I clearly heard her say this. Got back that afternoon to find our luggage still in our old room. Went to the front desk and was informed by the afternoon clerk that their staff would NEVER move luggage. That was our responsibility. OK, fine. Where was our new room? It was on the 2nd floor on the opposite side from our old room with NO elevators. That meant my wife and I, both 65+, would have to move all our luggage around the building and up two flights of stairs on our own. So we decided to check the room out first. Soon as we opened the door we were overwhelmed by a strong chemical smell. I began to get a headache and my wife was woozy. Went back to the front desk and was told that a construction worker had spilled a can of paint thinner on the rug the night before, but that their maint. had cleaned it up and the smell should go away eventually. Needless to say, we did NOT take the new room. That evening we had dinner with my cousin and her husband. Had to twice chase down the waiter to get service. As mentioned above, the food when it did come was excellent. But then we sat there exchanging stories for 45 minutes with dirty plates sitting in front of us. Finally got the bill, and the waiter stood there waiting for me to fill out the charge card ticket. Never have I had that happen before. Then endured another night of AC on and off and loud parking lot noise. Informed the morning girl the next morning how dissappointed were were with our stay and her only response was "Here's your bill".

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, get an inside room on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel looks old but rooms are up to date; each room has a refrigerator and microwave. Centrally located with restaurants, WalMart, gas stations, and main highway nearby. Service was excellent, changed my room when I was told that I have a smoking room. However, free breakfast was cold and bread products were stale. Friday night, some idiot decided to use the parking lot as a drag strip because it rained. For the most part, probably would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see if other rooms are available
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I spent two out of three reserved nights at the Best Western Inn in Chickasha, OK last weekend. Two days with NO hot water, 4 calls to management, finally broken plumbing forced me to check out and end my trip early. I checked with other guests in the building and they were complaining too. Awful, terrible, just drive on by!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car at a truck stop rather than stopping here.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I arrived around 9:30 PM on Thursday night, November 17, 2011 at the BW Chichasha. The hotel is situated off one of the main streets in Chickasha next to a very busy McDonalds and a Walmart Supercenter. It is in a prime location for small town America. I was promptly greeted by Heather at the front desk who assigned me room 167 a second building located in the far lot next to an RV park. The hotel was clearly at capacity as the front door parking available was all taken, I parked a way down from my room, still within walking distance, a reasonable distance for loading and unloading. From my observations of the vehicles parked in the lot, the hotel is frequented by guests driving large mud covered work trucks and dog show exhibitors with their rigs.

I attempted to draw a nice hot bath after my 8 hour plus drive in to Chichasha. I was welcomed with ice cold water from the cold spigot and slightly less cold water from the hot spigot. I began to run both sink and tub hoping the distance from the main building required this in order to warm. The time was 10:30 PM when I called Heather at the front desk who cheerily reported no water issues but would 'send someone over'. Knowing that once a call is placed, issues can immediately and miraculously resolve themselves, I turned the water back on to run. After 10 minutes and no miraculous intervention - I waited for help to arrive. At 11:30 PM, I called Heather to cancel the customer service call as I was going to bed exhausted but asked that the Manager address this in time to have water in the morning.

The room was a down and out (meaning you can park right in front of your room). The room was DOWN and OUT. The linens were ill-fitting and wrinkled. A small strip of what was once a bedspread was placed at the foot of the bed in an attempt to appear decorative. The lounge chair next to the door was stained as was the carpet. Now I'm not talking small incidental stains, I'm talking places where it looked like a human being may have lost the greater part of the blood volume stains. You'll see these choice photos from my uploads. It was so bad that I never took off my shoes. The door was filthy, the windows had not been washed in forever, curtains, just don't pull them back and let the light of day hit the floor!

Now it's morning, I have an event in the early afternoon so I waited to bathe until after enjoying my hot breakfast at the hotel restaurant. I am leaving ample time for the manager to resolved the water situation you see. As I walk into the main building I see a hotel employee (later to be revealed as my server) standing outside in her uniform smoking and chatting it up with a guest? friend?

Once seated in the restaurant the female server immediately warns me that there are no clean glasses and they are out of orange juice because they are busy but the coffee is plentiful and piping hot. Breakfast consisted of bagels, toast, Danish, jams, jellies, peanut butter, along side heated frozen potatoes, dry over cooked greasy bacon, less dry greasy sausage, and slightly warm scrambled eggs. I tasted the eggs, bacon, and sausage after dabbing them with a napkin so I can attest to the lack of quality and greasiness. The coffee was superb. I tipped my server and headed back to my room to draw a bath.

After 10 minutes of attempting to get even tepid water, I called the front desk where I was advised that no one had mentioned any water issues in the building that housed room 167. I asked that the manager be contacted to remedy the situation. I was forced to take a cold shower (not even intermittent warm water here folks!) that would have been a luxury. After my invigorating shower, I packed up and left for the afternoon event that brought me to the town of Chickasha.

Upon my return, I immediately ran the water which had gone from cold to tepid to dare I say warm!!!

I forgot to mention that I could NOT be moved because the hotel was sold out. I was not offered another room.

On Saturday, November 19, still with only cold water running in the tub and sink - the toilet breaks down and refuses to flush. Once again, I call the front desk now frantic because I have the most important event of my weekend in only an hour and a half. I am told I can move to room 145 that they will get it ready. I throw my items together in a panic get there and the maid is still working on the room. I barge in getting my things at least ready so that the minute she's finished I can get ready. Finally, hot water!

I my hurry and frustration, I misread the schedule for my event and I missed it by minutes unable to compete. An 8 hour drive, two nights, no hot water, a crappy room, and I miss my event.

I return to the hotel and let Sean at the front desk know that I am checking out. I ask for the name of the owner who I am advised is a man in Alaska who just owns the place as an income property along with several other hotels. I am presented with a card for the manager, Mandy Hegdorn, who is not available. To my knowledge, there was no manager on duty any of the times I called or visited the front desk: on a sold out weekend. Nice to have flexible schedules like that when your hotel is sold out and experiencing problems.

I am not offered any compensation although Sean did seem sincere in his "gee I'm sorry". But I think he gets a lot of practice -- there's no way with the huge issues this hotel faces that he doesn't get chewed out on a regular basis.

I travel frequently. My preferences are moderately priced La Quintas, Hampton Inns and the like because they are generally clean and consistent and must adhere to certain standards. This "Best" Western is horrible. If their corporate got a look at this place they would board it up, fire the staff and hope that one of those infamous Oklahoma Twisters would come blow it away. On my way out, several other guests in the building that housed room 167 were out and about. Four separate guests told me they had no hot water or inconsistent hot water throughout their stays -- never heard of a water problem?

I should have slept in my car at a truck stop.

Stay away, go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Try to get something in the main building if hot and cold running water are your requirements.
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Check in was a night mare. When I arrived the check in staff was so rude and they did not greet me just what do you want. I reserved a non smoking king sized bed. I had to make a request of a lower floor because I am disabled and I cannot make it to a higher floor. Online it said my hotel reservation is 55.95 or 55.99 per night. They told me that my rate is 69.99 I asked why and the lady said that she has to charge me more. I told her no I can show her my reservation online and she still told me no she had to charge me more. We argued for 10 minutes on the price. Really! Then they said all we have is a second floor room on the outside. I asked do you have an elevator I cannot walk up stairs. They said no. I said I need a lower room per request. The lady said we do not have any lower rooms left. We have pageant girls here that we need to take care of first because they made their reservations three months ago. So I said we are part of the pageant girls. The lady said well your daughter does not look or acts like a pageant girl. I asked her if she would like to see my daughters crown and sash. Then the lady stopped talking. She handed me my upstairs room key and said she could not help me. So we went to see our room and it was upstairs. By the way thank you for my husband carrying me up the stairs because I could not do so and the hotel staff would not help. The room was in a hall way that was 112 degrees in that hall way and yet it was only 89 outside and not well ventilated with plastic all over the floor that made it hard to pull luggage through. When we opened the door OH MY GOSH really a double bed not the king size that I reserved on the internet. So we call down to the front desk and the girl says we cannot help you sorry. So my husband went down stairs and she said that she cannot do anything for us all the king sized bed rooms were taken. By the way the room still had trash in the trash cans, and I know that this is petty but there was way too much furniture in the room. A bed, a reclining chair, a desk that was right next to the door so when you open the door the door hits it and this poor desk has a lot of damage from the door hitting it. There was also a business chair by the desk that was so dirty you could not use. I have pictures if you would like them. Ok then there was a long stand with three draws to put clothes in, then you bed and two nightstands and another chair and a standing lamp and a another half chair. There was also a mini fridge and a microwave. We had no room to walk in that room let a long place our luggage. The socket had no covers as well. So I had my husband carry me down to talk to the front desk and the blond girl that is skinny wearing a tank top for a uniform. I guess was the manager which now she had left for the day. The other girl attending the front desk had reddish brown hair. Heaver set girl that checked me in the first time snapped at me and said what now. I said the room does not have a king sized bed and the front desk girl said I know but that is all we have left. I said when I reserved this room online it said that it was a king sized bed. The lady said that when I reserved a room online it just guaranteed you a room not the size of bed or what floor you will be getting. I said yes it did tell me what size of bed I would be getting. But true not the floor but that is why I made the request. The lady said no it did not tell you that you would get a king sized bed. I asked the lady if she would like for me to pull up my reservations and show her that it does say a king sized bed. She then argued with me for about 5 more minutes about the room type. I asked is there any way to compensate our stay then and she said no. I asked if there was even some way to take a little off my bill and so she said that she would take 10 dollars off to make my room not 65.00 per night. So here we go again. Online my room reservation was for 55.95 per night. How did it now go to 75.00 minus the ten that she was discounting me? So we argued again for another five minutes and finally she said that she would give me the rate of 45.95 per night for our whole stay. Which we had this night and my husband had a reservation for an additional 3 nights under his name on a different reservation that we made a week before this reservation. So I stayed down stairs while my husband lugged our belonging us stairs. Other pageant families greeted me and I told them my dilemma with the room and two families told me that they did not have any one next to them and they was on a bottom floor. HUM. Why could I not get one of those rooms? But I left everything alone and left everything as is even thought I was just treated so awfully. I did complain to the main company and they did refund us 55.00 for one night. Also I would hate to leave out that there was one girl that worked there and she was great to us and helpful I cannot pronounce her name because it was spelled very strange but the next morning of or horrible first night here, the girl was working the front desk and she helped getting a new room down staris for us. She had very short darker brown hair, white female about 5 feet 7 round face, a thinner girl I think in her middle to late 20's. She helped us and she was amazing. GOD BLESS THIS GIRL!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chickasha Hotel? Share your experiences!