“Disapointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Youngstown
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
“Disapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have stayed at the Meander Inn many times as it is the halfway point of our journey back East from our home in the Midwest and have been very satisfied to the point that we have referred the Inn to our friends. The room has always been clean and the rates very reasonable. The main attraction has always been the restaurant located on the premises. This time however, the restaurant was roudy, very cold and our food not prepared to our liking. (we were served lobster that was not cooked properly). we waited over one hour for our meals after ordering and we were told that they were out of sour cream after our baked potatoes were served,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
woodstock, ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was my first time traveling with a pet. I was bringing my daughters dog back to my her home in Wisconsin. I stopped at Best Western Meander Inn because it was a pet friendly hotel. I needed the sofa bed pulled out for my grandson to sleep on, and was given sheets and was told I had do this myself. That in inself should have sent up red flags, but I just drove 10 hours and was pretty tired. After pulling out the coffee table, I noticed there was damage to the corner of the table. If I had been an experienced pet traveler, I would have know to show the hotel clerk, but being niave, I didn't. I thought to myself, that is a really dingy table to have in a hotel room.
The next thing I know, I was charged $100.00!!! for damage to that same table!!! I have tried calling the Meander Inn, but the manager said there is nothing she can do it's up to the owner. Now I hear the owner is out of the country until October. Mind you, I was at this hotel on 8-18-12.!! I called BW customer service and all they got was a picture of the table. I KNOW THE TABLE WAS DAMAGED, BUT IT WAS NOT MY DOG!!!! SHE DOES NOT CHEW ON FURNITURE!! If the table had been moved for any type of cleaning, someone would have noticed it.
I don't think this owner cares at all about good customer service and or guests satisfaction. PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS PRACTICE!! MAYBE THE NEXT PERSON TO STAY AT A DOG FRIENDLY HOTEL, WILL CHECK EVERYTHING IN ADVANCE AND NOTIFY HOTEL MANAGEMENT!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Youngstown hotels

Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We picked this hotel because it took our dog and was in a convenient location. My grandmother stayed in a handicap room and said she couldn't sleep because the noise outside was so loud. Also there were cigarette burns in her bedding. Our room had chewed gum stuck on the sides of the night stand and the carpet appeared to be melted by the iron that was in our closet. I guess a previous guest didn't use the provided ironing board! The bathrooms were tiny and the continental breakfast was pretty bad compared to other similar hotels. We'll look elsewhere the next time we're driving through Youngstown.

Brantford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while the dog show was in Canfield. When I called around there were very few 'pet friendly' options so we were thankful to get a room.
The front desk staff are very nice. Our room was a decent size with a kingsize bed and pull-out couch. The furniture was nice but the carpet was gungy. Definitely needs steam cleaning. There was a fridge in our room and when I opened it there was a drink of some kind that could be from the people before us. In the morning, I opened the coffee machine to make coffee and the filter pack was still in it from previous use. The first morning we had our showers and the tub was plugged. I mentioned it to the staff at the front desk and it was unplugged when we returned.
The breakfast was quite nice. There's bagels, bread, fresh fruit, waffles, juice, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. The only down side was that the garbage container lid was open and the flies were having a ball.
While we were there the pool was drained. Make sure you ask if it's functioning before you book a room if you have children that like to swim.
We try to stay at a Best Western when ever possible and I must say that this particular location was a bit of a disappointment. Next time I will book a hotel room far in advance so that I have more options.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We travel for business & pleasure & are admittedly hotel snobs. When traveling with a dog you're somewhat limited on the chains that allow pets. We found this hotel several years ago as it's easy access on & off I-80. It had been over a year since we stopped here, but we had to break up our 760mile trip so we stayed for one night. They recently re-did the rooms & the beds were VERY comfortable & the rooms were spotless. The hotel staff was extremely helpful & friendly plenty of area to walk the dog safely out front. Mexican restaurant next door has very good food. This hotel snob will stay here again when traveling with our dog. Thank you Meander Inn for a clean, comfortable, friendly & safe stay.

usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stopped here one night on our way home and found the staff to be friendly, the room clean and comfortable. The beds were comfortable. And even though we were close to the front of the hotel and near the front desk it was quiet. No complaints. Even though others seem to have a bad experience we did not and wouldn't mind spending a few nights here. It was in a good area off the highway and close to other places for eating and shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

For the price, I was not expecting luxury. But given that I had just stayed in a much nicer place for only $10 a night more in Pittsburgh, I was expecting better than what I found at the Best Western Meander Inn.

1) We just didn't feel terribly safe in this hotel. The front desk clerk encouraged us to park on the side of the building instead of the front. However, the side parking lot was very isolated the night we were there and bordered against woods. There was a person sitting in a parked car watching everyone come and go. Kind of creepy. The door to our room did not fit securely in the door frame. Even when the door was locked there was a lot of "wiggle room." Maybe we would have felt better about that if there hadn't been so many people walking by our room late at night.

2) The decor of the hallways and lobby was pretty nice. However, our room hasn't seen an update in decades - old and worn furniture, icky tile floor with stained grout. The website describes this as an " award winning hotel." Really? I have stayed in other Best Westerns which were much nicer. We've stayed at the Best Western in Gettysburg many times - very nice. The Best Western in Troutdale, OR was one of the most comfortable places we've ever stayed. Not this place though...

3) The bedding was awful. The bedding was old and worn-out. The fitted sheet was so thin I could see the mattress pad through it. The mattresses were thin, hard and low to the ground. The whole room smelled like insecticide. The furniture was worn and the 80s-style popcorn style ceiling was badly stained (perhaps from smoke?).

4) Breakfast was the typical fare, except that there was no hot food (unless one wants to make to a waffle) and no protein except milk and yogurt. The coffee was awful. The breakfast room was small but clean.

On the positive side, the public spaces inside the hotel were nicely furnished and the staff was very pleasant. However, the room was depressing, smelly, old and uncomfortable and we were glad to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Meander Inn? Share your experiences!