“traveling with dog....this is a clean, comfortable and safe stop” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Youngstown
Philadelphia, PA
“traveling with dog....this is a clean, comfortable and safe stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We travel for business & pleasure & are admittedly hotel snobs. When traveling with a dog you're somewhat limited on the chains that allow pets. We found this hotel several years ago as it's easy access on & off I-80. It had been over a year since we stopped here, but we had to break up our 760mile trip so we stayed for one night. They recently re-did the rooms & the beds were VERY comfortable & the rooms were spotless. The hotel staff was extremely helpful & friendly plenty of area to walk the dog safely out front. Mexican restaurant next door has very good food. This hotel snob will stay here again when traveling with our dog. Thank you Meander Inn for a clean, comfortable, friendly & safe stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stopped here one night on our way home and found the staff to be friendly, the room clean and comfortable. The beds were comfortable. And even though we were close to the front of the hotel and near the front desk it was quiet. No complaints. Even though others seem to have a bad experience we did not and wouldn't mind spending a few nights here. It was in a good area off the highway and close to other places for eating and shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

For the price, I was not expecting luxury. But given that I had just stayed in a much nicer place for only $10 a night more in Pittsburgh, I was expecting better than what I found at the Best Western Meander Inn.

1) We just didn't feel terribly safe in this hotel. The front desk clerk encouraged us to park on the side of the building instead of the front. However, the side parking lot was very isolated the night we were there and bordered against woods. There was a person sitting in a parked car watching everyone come and go. Kind of creepy. The door to our room did not fit securely in the door frame. Even when the door was locked there was a lot of "wiggle room." Maybe we would have felt better about that if there hadn't been so many people walking by our room late at night.

2) The decor of the hallways and lobby was pretty nice. However, our room hasn't seen an update in decades - old and worn furniture, icky tile floor with stained grout. The website describes this as an " award winning hotel." Really? I have stayed in other Best Westerns which were much nicer. We've stayed at the Best Western in Gettysburg many times - very nice. The Best Western in Troutdale, OR was one of the most comfortable places we've ever stayed. Not this place though...

3) The bedding was awful. The bedding was old and worn-out. The fitted sheet was so thin I could see the mattress pad through it. The mattresses were thin, hard and low to the ground. The whole room smelled like insecticide. The furniture was worn and the 80s-style popcorn style ceiling was badly stained (perhaps from smoke?).

4) Breakfast was the typical fare, except that there was no hot food (unless one wants to make to a waffle) and no protein except milk and yogurt. The coffee was awful. The breakfast room was small but clean.

On the positive side, the public spaces inside the hotel were nicely furnished and the staff was very pleasant. However, the room was depressing, smelly, old and uncomfortable and we were glad to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Breckenridge, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Room was well furnished and bed very large and comfortable. Room was clean and large enough with a flat screen/WiFi/fridge. We travel w/ two Shih-Tzu's and found this hotel very accommodating and pet friendly. With all that being said, it is a remodeled 70's era highway side motel with the sink removed from a small lavatory w/ shower/tub. If that is what you expect, this is an excellent stop for those traveling with pet's. The front counter was minimally staffed, but the rate showed a frugal management. I can accept that. Pass on the breakfast.

I expected far worse from the reviews. I feel I received a great value in a clean and safe location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at this motel for one overnight stay because it was convenient to the highway as we were en route to our destination. The staff was friendly, the rate was excellent, the room was spacious and had a refrigerator and microwave, it was very clean and smelled fresh, the free Wi-fi worked well, and there are several dining options and gas stations close by, Other than a briefly barking dog in the hallway at one point, the motel wasn't noisy. However, the bed was very uncomfortable and both of us woke up with aching backs. I doubt that we would stay there again unless there were no other options available or we happened to have an air mattress with us.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Delaware, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed at this hotel a little over a month 1/2 ago. Was completely disappointed with my stay.
While the staff was very nice, the room was in horrible condition. Rust stains on the toilet and bathroom floor, carpets in the room and throughout the hotel covered in stains, as well as chairs in the room.
None of the windows on the second floor had screens on them, and at one point me and my friend were down in the pool and a little girl on the second floor was leaning out of her room waving at us. Completely unsafe!! That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
At one point during the night I dropped something behind the TV stand and when I went to move it out to grab it, I was greeted by months worth of dust built up, not to mention the TV station guide that we had been looking for.
Lastly in the breakfast room there was a tip jar out... We were down there for a half hour and didn't see the breakfast person once, why in the world should I tip them??
When I complained to the hotel I was told that basically since I never said anything during my stay (I was told when I made the res that I got the last smoking room, so what would be the point of asking to move??) that besides an apology that there was nothing they could do. so basically I wasted 16,000 points on a hotel that IMHO isn't worth 1,000.
There are much nicer looking hotels in the immediate area of this one, and I highly suggest staying at one of them!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We chose the Meander Inn because it allowed our small dog for a small fee. The place is clean, but run down, sheets and bedding seemed old and worn out, the room smelled like insecticide. The water tasted like what dirt smells like. The lobby had garbage cans overflowing and was messy. The breakfast room was stocked well, but was old and depressing. For the price paid it was ok if you don't mind the aging facilities and general run down feel of the place. The only upgrade in decades was the flat screen tv's and large selection of cable channels. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Meander Inn? Share your experiences!