“An average Hampton” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Youngstown
Syracuse, New York
“An average Hampton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stay at Hampton's often and this one is average for the chain. The hotel was clean and tidy with friendly staff. I can't say my stay was great but it wasn't terrible either.

Housekeeping disappointed me when I found they'd taken all the soaps and shampoo from my room on my second night and not left any new.

I had to park in the back of the property one night and was very disappointed to find there was on door from the parking lot. The nearest one was on the side of the hotel. I don't mind walking but it was a little dark and desolated out back so I was glad to have a collegue with me.

It's this lack of attention to detail that makes me say my stay was just "ok".

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stayed at this property as a halfway point to Columbus,OH for the Arnold Expo. The location is great, very easy on/off access to I-80. Exterior is your typical Hampton Inn. While it is older, has the red trim, I think the interior was renovated at some point recently. On arrival we were greeted by the gentlemen at the front desk, received keys and got the run down on breakfast/pool/etc. and were in the elevator no more than 2 minutes later. Efficiency is nice, after a long ride. The room was very clean, your typical Hampton setup. The bathroom was clean as well and the tub seemed to be a part of a renovation with newer shower walls. The massaging shower head was nice, but the pressure could have been a bit more for my liking. Overall though, the bathroom was just fine. The Cloud Nine beds were excellent, slept very well. They were up to par with the Borgata in Atlantic City, which I rave about. The WiFi was ok speeds, but at some points it would kick me on and I'd have to restart the connection. Didn't use it very much though, so wasn't an issue. The first morning we left the hotel at 4:30am, to be greeted with a very chipper front desk attendant. Arriving back from Columbus we were again greeted by the front desk and a few housekeepers. Ordered pizza from Pizza Hut, which is right down the road. Very fast delivery, about 20 minutes when ordered online. The last morning we tried the breakfast, which was very good. Eggs with sausage gravy and warm biscuits. The breakfast station attendant was again very friendly offering mints to everyone. We then proceeded to check out and both the front desk and breakfast attendants wishes us a safe drive home. Every person we saw, were overly friendly, and make this hotel. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, at a good rate (we paid $99 on the weekend), easy access to I-80, and friendly employees, I highly recommend the Hampton Inn North!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I came with a friend and my two boys for the Freestyle Motocross event and chose this hotel based on the tripadvisor and Expedia customer reviews.

The outside is attractive, hotel easy to find.

Lobby is very clean, modern and pleasant and the woman at the front desk was very hospitable.

The room was great, we had a king with a pull out sofa. The bed was very comfortable with a duvet and tonnes of pillows. Only thing missing was a fridge. The kids were very happy and there was lots of room to play.

The breakfast in the morning had breakfast sandwiches, porridge, cereals, fruits, pastries, muffines, juice, good coffee, etc. The attendant was very nice, in fact all the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to say hi and make you feel welcome.

This is well worth it if you need to be in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2008

Check in went smoothly. The elevator up to the room had a very unpleasant odor, but it was hard to identify what that odor was, since it had been heavily doused with some cleaning solution to try to get rid of it or mask it – without success. The room was spacious and clean. There were two queen sized beds and a nice writing desk. It had a television with a modest selection of cable channels. There was supposed to be free wi-fi in the room, but we did not have our laptop along, so we did not get a chance to test it. The bathroom was decent sized and clean. It had a coffee maker and coffee packets. There was an iron and ironing board in the room. They include a free hot breakfast, which included sausage patties, egg patties and a nice selection of Danish and other breakfast pastries. They were all fresh and tasty. They had a nice selection of coffees, juices and cereals. The cut citrus, however, was pretty bad. It had obviously been around awhile and had an unpleasant tang to it – just this side of rancid. We couldn’t eat it. The lady who attended the breakfast area could not have been more friendly, repeatedly greeting people and offering to help. There is a television in the lobby. While I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my wife to come down, the attendant offered to turn it on for me and showed me the remote. There is an internet outlet in the lobby. I could not figure out how to use it, since its mouse and keyboard were hidden. However, I saw another guest find them by pulling out a drawer. He obviously found that outlet useful. Our room tab, including tax, was $117.53. You get what you pay for. This is a nice place. We recommend it.

• Liked — Size and cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — Stinky elevator, near rancid citrus at breakfast bar
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

Hampton Inn is a class act. They are consistent and a nice place to land after a long day of traveling.

When we arrived we went to our room to find out it was a smoking room which was not what we wanted. I went to the desk to find another room. I think you find out about how well a property is managed when problems arise. We were able to find a non-smoking room that met our needs. The staff handled the situation in a professional manner and to our satisfaction.

The rooms were clean, newer carpet, nice bedding and good sized rooms. This met the standard we expected and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stayed there for two nights due to a wedding nearby. Staff was great! Breakfast and the attendant were perfect. Workout room looks into the pool so I could watch my kids while I ran! A short drive to Macy's and Dillard's for that last minute wedding dress edit. Not many good (read "not chain or theme-style") dining choices nearby. But, there are choices. The beds were amazing! My wife never sleeps well in a Hotel and she loved it! When we go back for the Christening, we'll stay there again.

• Liked — Close to our event, Very nice staff, great beds
  • Disliked — Low water pressure in shower
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

This is a very nice place to spend a night or two. The entire staff go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. The property is clean and safe. They even baked warm cookies in the evening on my stay. That was a very nice touch. Make sure to say "hello" to Scott, Chuck and Barbara!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — wish they had a resturant
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Youngstown North? Share your experiences!