“Fun and Unpretentious” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fun and Unpretentious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Based on TA reviews I decided to give Nick's a try. I was not disappointed. The atmosphere is fun and decidedly americana. Yes, per other reviews the Jukebox is loud but the selection is great! I also got the pleasant surprise of coming in on $3 wine night so I treated myself to what turned out to be a generous portion of Cabernet. The gyro sandwich was unremarkable but tasty, as were the kettle chips that came with it. Overall I really enjoyed myself and the meal. The staff were friendly and informative and I got a free cookie! It's the simple things in life that bring the greatest joy and I would put Nick's in that category. I am sure I will be back. (I didn't use the restroom so I can't comment on the cleanliness which was in question in a previous review.)

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kettering, Ohio
“Who Knew?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was invited to join friends for dinner at Nick's Restaurant in Xenia, Ohio. I am not familiar with Xenia. I had never heard of Nick's. I was pleasantly surprised! The restaurant is cozy, warm, friendly. It strikes me as a neighborhood treasure. The decor primarily featured witty golf jokes, riddles and funny stories. The owner apparently has never met a stranger and the staff eager to welcome guests "home". Service was quick, accurate. We began with a mushroom appetizer which was so delicious that even the mushroom "dis-liker" in our group was licking his fingers after indulging! My steak was done to perfection. If a guest cannot find anything appealing to order, my suggestion: stay home! The menu is varied, appealing. Dinner is bountiful and pleasing. I recommend Nick's...Who knew last weekend would be so scrumptious!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Xenia
“OK Home-Town Diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We eat at Nick's once or twice a year vowing never to back but we do. Onion rings and other fried veggies are really good: shades of the old Sa-Ha-Do, Nick's predecessor. However, none of the meat items we have tried come up to any sort of reasonable standard whether fried or grilled. In actuality, Nick's is a restaurant belly-uped to a bar and has a bar feel no matter where you are seated. Not really a family place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“Just an OK dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The kids and I went out for dinner after seeing reviews of this restaurant in the local paper. They won several awards for their wings so we wanted to try them out.
When we entered we were surprised at how small the inside seat was as this turned out to be bar serving food. With kids, of course there has to be the bathroom visit as soon as we get there to make them happy. The bathrooms are very dirty and hated to have to even enter them.
When food came the kids dinners were chicken fingers, one with fries and one with home made chips, both chicken fingers and the chips were over done.
I had the wings with their award winning sweet hot damn sauce and they were good but not worth driving for, Overall our visit was just OK and definitely not worth driving back for, I was hoping to find a local business to support and enjoy their food to get away from the chains - my search will have to continue.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Carlisle, Ohio
“Local place with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had some great burgers in this local pub. Full of local folks, very casual, loud with a lot of hard drinking going on but good service at a reasonable price. The fried pickles were a good start to a decent meal.

• Visited June 2013