“Delicious food, generous portions and amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This is the pub in the General Denver Hotel which you have listed as a B&B. The pub does serve breakfast, but only to guests. It's main attraction is for Sunday brunch, but they also have a crowd in the evening for dinner most nights of the week, except Monday when it is closed.
Greater Lansing
“Delicious food, generous portions and amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stopped here based on TripAdvisor score. The old building itself was impressive, including the antique hotel front desk area. Lounge was nice, but I asked to be seated outside after spending all day indoors. The server was friendly and attentive, telling me about the local craft IPA on tap which I tried, it was outstanding. I didn't want a huge dinner so I ordered the open face steak sandwich, which came out almost like a mini beef tenderloin and cooked rare just as I had ordered. Fresh local asparagus was also delicious. I would definitely return here and recommend it to others, the menu is quite large so it should satisfy most every diner.

Visited August 2013

Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“DO NOT GO HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

the absolute worst place in this town to go. food was not only undercooked, but it was spoiled. I was so excited about the Chilean sea bass and low and behold it was not sea bass, it was undercooked and spoiled. DO NOT EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT. Oh, it took us 20 minutes to get a drink too. TAKE MY ADVICE..... DO NOT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food!! - truly fresh and amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem in Wilmington OHIO! If you are in the area and have the time. Take the time and have a great meal! It was Wonderful!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, Ohio
“Rude Host Experience / Don't Expect Greatness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was Sunday (8/11/13) when we stopped in for brunch after church. On this particular visit there was a crowd of elderly folks standing in the lobby. They were all talking - loudly - as they appeared to be waiting to be seated in the dining area.

When Mister and I walked in and saw no one standing at the hostess podium, I dashed to the restroom which was occupied - so returned to the lobby. One female was at the cash register checking out folks who were leaving. We continued to stand amidst the crowd of elderly folks for approximately 10 minutes without anyone coming to the hostess podium. Eventually, the male host came to escort the group of elderly folks to a table - he apparently had been setting up the table for this group.

At no point during our 10+ minute wait did any staff person come to let us know there would be a long wait - even when it was obvious. We were seeking a table for 2 of which they were all available in the dining area. They were more concerned with seating the group (possibly regulars) than meeting the needs of anyone else waiting to be seated.

When the male host finally came to the podium to inquire "2?" - I said yes, we are only 2 and couldn't understand why it is taking so long to be seated - we just want a table for 2. His snarky reply was, "Everyone wants a table."

It appears the General Denver needs to up its staff if they can't seat 2 people in an empty dining room before seating a table of 7.

Overall, this is a nice change from the limited offerings in town (Bob Evans / Frisch's). Brunch at the General Denver is decent for the most part. However, on more than one occasion when we ordered toast (it's extra - not included with your meal - go figure!) it wasn't really toasted properly - at least not to our liking. Toast should be a bit brown - not blonde. I decided if I'm paying extra for toast I'm going to speak up on this little issue.

Nearly every selection for bunch includes a fruit cup and it ALWAYS has melon (honeydew and/or cantaloupe) - along with grapes and chopped apple bits. I detest those two types of melon and usually never get to eat my fruit because of the melon touching and weeping onto the grapes/apples. If you have an aversion to melon - be aware.

It would serve well to have staff do a quick check of window sills to remove dead flies. We were seated at a window - which is nice to watch passing traffic/people - but the dead fly in the window was a bit of a distraction; as were the few flies buzzing our table.

We found it amusing when one of the 3 wait staff brought us a coffee pitcher with the label HOT WATER ONLY.

The specials are written on a wipe board near the hostess podium and of course you can browse through the selections on the menu. Dining at the General Denver is okay for an occasional change of local fare - just don't have too high of expectations for greatness.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, TN
“Different type of place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The General Denver was recommended by the staff at the Hampton Inn where we were staying. They said it was moderately priced and we should enjoy it -- I had my doubts about the moderately priced when, as we walked by, observed white table linens in the window, suggesting something more upscale than what we were looking for.

But surprisingly it was a nice place to eat, with a very friendly wait staff who took time to tell us all about the menu. We were a part of 7, including 3 children (ages 2, 4, 6) and while the menu was not extensive, we were all able to find something. Good selection of different local beers (I tried two different ones -- both were good). Plus the prices were indeed moderate, in fact, somewhat lower than I was expecting. Very affordable.

The restaurant is in an old style hotel, which evidently is still a hotel, although with a total of only 12 rooms, several of which are occupied full time by some folks. Old style architecture in and out. Really different and worth a visit if you are in the area. We will certainly go back again if ever in Wilmington.

• Visited June 2013